How many cheateres are in the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many cheateres are in the game?

If you can come up with words like this, you probably have a program that finds the words for you:
    OVERINTELLECTUALIZATIONS (24), COMPARTMENTALIZATIONS (21), PHOTOLITHOGRAPHICALLY (21), FUZZYHEADEDNESSES (17) PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGISTS (21), ELECTROENCEPHALOGRAPHIES (24)

In the 4x4 how about 265 words in 120 seconds, that is .4 seconds a word 265 times. BS.
    In the 5x5 how about 305 words in 180 seconds, that is .59 seconds a word 305 times. BS.

Originally posted by TOOMANYCHEATERS View Post
    If you can come up with words like this, you probably have a program that finds the words for you:
    OVERINTELLECTUALIZATIONS (24), COMPARTMENTALIZATIONS (21), PHOTOLITHOGRAPHICALLY (21), FUZZYHEADEDNESSES (17) PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGISTS (21), ELECTROENCEPHALOGRAPHIES (24)

In the 4x4 how about 265 words in 120 seconds, that is .4 seconds a word 265 times. BS.
    In the 5x5 how about 305 words in 180 seconds, that is .59 seconds a word 305 times. BS.
    Who did you see that had these words and these scores?

Comment

I don't think that's evidence of cheating. If you find a moderately big word like INTELLECT, it's a good strategy to look for prefixes and suffixes that can be added to it, so coming up with OVERINTELLECTUALIZATIONS doesn't seem all that difficult.

This wouldn't work with the original game of Boggle, where the grid is chosen randomly by shaking letter cubes in a box. There if you find INTELLECT, it's not likely that there will be longer words containing it. But many of the games on WordTwist are seeded with very large words, so looking for prefixes and suffixes makes sense.

Also, if you browse through past results of the Longest Words Played competitions, you can see what some of the longest words ever found are, and be alert for them if they show up in games that you play.

Comment

As someone who goes for long words, I have to agree with Nylimb. Some big words, you just learn. (I think there are basically 3 24-letter words (with variations).) With others, you just learn to find the pieces & cobble them together. (lalatan calls them "Frankenstein" words. They're fun to find, and often they surprise you.) Finding them is a skill, like anything else. It takes some time & practice.

Now if you see a new member averaging 40+ points per word, I'd be a little suspicious...

Comment

Another thing... It doesn't make sense to seed these boards with huge words unless legitimate players can occasionally find them. Once you know that they can be there though, you know to look for them.

Comment

What exactly is this cheating? If someone invests the time and energy on a program to solve word puzzles, and uses it to get long words and/or higher scores, so be it. They are just playing a different game for different reasons than you may be. The rules state only that the words be of minimum length and satisfy the chosen dictionary, and a player may do that however they want. I suspect computer enhanced play is happening, but it doesn't bother me.

Comment

305 words, 5x5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fp82lNTXUM

The 256 words was achieved last month. These are the highest recorded words games for 4x4 and 5x5 that I know of. It occurred through much toil and time.

Comment

I have come across numerous boards that have only been played 1 time, and only 1 word is played, a really big one which, of course, remains the best and longest word. All of these boards were played by the same person. I could be wrong, but I suspect they only have time to enter the letters into some kind of solver. I won't mention any names, but it rhymes with lalala.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaWord View Post
                  305 words, 5x5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fp82lNTXUM

The 256 words was achieved last month. These are the highest recorded words games for 4x4 and 5x5 that I know of. It occurred through much toil and time.
                  I've watched one of your videos, pausing constantly, trying to get a feel for how you systematize finding the words. I noticed that you don't hit common 3 letter word combinations as a group. How do you order and prioritize? Maybe this is like asking a painter how they paint, when it's simply lots of practice and intuition. But, hey, I'm always willing to steal a few hints from anyone who's better at something than I am. (ps: I realize this is an off topic question, but I've never been able to stay on topic. Maybe that's my difficulty with the game--an inability to stay focused.)

Comment

I recently played a game where the longest word was EQUATORIALS (24 pts). I got it as well, but I was the first one to get EQUATOR, let alone EQUATORIAL.

Comment

Originally posted by MistMyChance View Post
                      I have come across numerous boards that have only been played 1 time, and only 1 word is played, a really big one which, of course, remains the best and longest word. All of these boards were played by the same person. I could be wrong, but I suspect they only have time to enter the letters into some kind of solver. I won't mention any names, but it rhymes with lalala.
                      I'm pretty sure that anybody here who goes for longest/best words will tell you that you're wrong. I'll also take one great word on unplayed boards. (That's the only way I ever get highest score or most words records, but those go away.) "lalala" was going for long words before I ever joined, and plays a lot more than I do. He's definitely good enough that using a boggle solver or something would be a lot more trouble for him than just finding the words.

Comment

I agree with Spike. You need to understand that each person playing these boards is actually playing their own version of this game. Some people are going for quantity - points and most number of words. Others find the challenge in just finding the one best word, as you pointed out. I personally like to look for games that have been only played a few times, have a lot of 9+ words and nobody has gotten over an 8 letter word so far. I also enjoy new games but only if there are 9+ words. Each person does what is most enjoyable for them.

Comment

You obviously haven't been playing this game very long! I have come up with ALL these words - on my own, thank you very much. Maybe it's because I'm 74 years old so date back to a time when people had big vocabularies and learned how to spell and took Latin in high school. Seriously, one reason these words are actually easy to find is because they show up over and over and over again on this site. There are actually 8 24-letter words, and I don't know about other people, but I'm getting bored with them. I'm getting tired of words ending in "nesses" - none of them anything anyone I know has ever used in conversation. There are so many more possibilities in the English language, and I have no idea why they have been banned (though heaven knows there are certainly no sexual words allowed!). Keep playing, and you'll find all these words too, over and over and over... without cheating!!

Comment

I concur with Spike and mdyak, I just type as fast as I can, never really set records (except for maybe getting the cheapest therapy available, and anti oldtimers therapy), but even I have gotten the above words, working backwards from the endings...ie. logists, graphies, cally, lizations (and quite often, because I'm Australian, if the letters fall down right, I use the English spelling and the American spelling). Yaaay Me!

Comment

Allllsooo, wpm are calculated by characters typed, one word equalling 5 keystrokes (that includes punctuation, spaces, etc), so if you get on to three or four letter combos depending on which type of board you are playing, its quite feasible when you consider that some can type, by traditional count, in the traditional fashion, over 100wpm.

Comment

Working...
                              X