X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naboka
    replied
    Originally posted by leabhar View Post
    Nope, not me. I really don't give a toss to be on lists. I like to find the last word on a board, or a word that no one found before on a 50+ board. It is cool that I find on occassion the longest or best scoring word, but I cannot and do not want to compete with native speakers. It's about learning new words and more than anything else: fun.
    Kind of have to laugh. I suppose being a native English speaker provides advantages,, but game moves far beyond native speaking. I don't know anyone who knows or uses: oof, oon, oor, oos, oose, oont. Nor oba, oda, ora, soba, sora, abo. And we aren't even talking: deil, diel, sei, seis, seir, rei, reis, teil, steil. I don't know the percentage of "non-word" words I've had to learn to play this game, but it has little to do with being a native speaker.

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied
    Originally posted by leabhar View Post
    Nope, not me. I really don't give a toss to be on lists. I like to find the last word on a board, or a word that no one found before on a 50+ board. It is cool that I find on occassion the longest or best scoring word, but I cannot and do not want to compete with native speakers. It's about learning new words and more than anything else: fun.
    On a TV game show, I heard that an American who doesn't speak French memorized the French Scrabble dictionary in two weeks, then went to France and won the French Scrabble tournament. You're doing a whole lot better than that; you write English better than many native speakers. So, don't sell yourself short -- you can do it if you want. The key phrase is: "if you want". I think we all play our game-within-a-game, and I'm not issuing a challenge. If I were, I can think of a dozen people who wouldn't just surpass my results but make my standings look downright pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• leabhar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    started a topic Another competition

Another competition

My personal goal is to make the top 50 on all the lists -- most points, highest average, words per game, and points per word. Some of the players (you know who you are) might not consider that much of a challenge, but it's reasonably difficult for me and I don't always get there. Some months, I don't get enough points. Some, the points per word trips me up. Perhaps some of you would find my little game within a game a challenge, too.
Working...
X