Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RussDNails
    replied
    Lifetime averages are correct on your player profile page ("My Scores" tab) but they are completely messed up on the 5 x 5 and 4 x 4 "Hall of Fame" page..................I think they were correct but then the admin rebooted to a new server and the lifetime averages on the Hall of Fame pages were frozen at that time and no longer update........

Leave a comment:

• Spike1007
    replied
    I don't keep track of past scores like lalatan does, but I agree that something is wrong in lifetime averages. (The current month generally seems fine.) If I try to compute my lifetime average pts/word, I get something lower than my reported average for every month (except the first) since my join date.

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    For over 2 years now I've entered each one of the best/longest word records I set on a spreadsheet to see if my totals match WordTwist's totals (and other analyses). It seems stats which are counted like games played, records, personal bests etc. are correct. Based on that, I suspect that data like games played and total words in the hall of fame are correct. It just doesn't know how to do math for avgs apparently.

I run into occasional glitches like when I click Drow's username in the best words list, it takes me to my personal scorecard.

Leave a comment:

• scheffek
    replied
    Originally posted by leabhar View Post

Is it possible they count the games that are not finished as well?
    I noticed that long ago and can't explain that. Of course some games I didn't finish for different reasons, but I think they count regularly and there were definitely not enough to explain the difference. Strange enough when you look at the scores in my profile, the number of average words is the same (wrong number) compared to the hall of fame, but the average score is 459.3 instead of 355,67. I've no idea why.

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied

Based on the fact that the words per game is only half the actual result, you'd expect the average score to be only half, as well -- though that difference may be possible. However, if they were counting unfinished games as well, my own averages would be far different than they are. I wouldn't be off by a paltry few points, I'd be off by hundreds.

Leave a comment:

• leabhar
    replied
    Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Or you have different priorities. The opportunity costs of learning essentially useless words and playing large numbers of games is almost embarrassing. The other things we could do with that time! The books read, paintings painted, projects finished with that amount of time would be substantial. But, playing is entertaining--and therapeutic, if approached properly. Being competitive, I sometimes justify my obsessions with the George Mallory quote for why he climbed Everest. Didn't realize that many of the words here were from immigrants. Which languages do you speak? Just English and a bit of French here.
    I read the books, work, knit, crochet, garden, dogs... so much and not enough time, lol. I am native Dutch, married to a South Dakotan (We live in the Netherlands). So: Dutch, English, German, French, Spanish, Greek and I just started learning Danish.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied

I have the advantage of speaking more than one (in fact far more than 2) languages and being a language nut. A lot of those words come from immgrants and made it into the US English language. Still I have been playing since 2007 and am on no list at all. Guess I am either not competitive or lazy...
    Or you have different priorities. The opportunity costs of learning essentially useless words and playing large numbers of games is almost embarrassing. The other things we could do with that time! The books read, paintings painted, projects finished with that amount of time would be substantial. But, playing is entertaining--and therapeutic, if approached properly. Being competitive, I sometimes justify my obsessions with the George Mallory quote for why he climbed Everest. Didn't realize that many of the words here were from immigrants. Which languages do you speak? Just English and a bit of French here.

Leave a comment:

• leabhar
    replied
    Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Kind of have to laugh. I suppose being a native English speaker provides advantages,, but game moves far beyond native speaking. I don't know anyone who knows or uses: oof, oon, oor, oos, oose, oont. Nor oba, oda, ora, soba, sora, abo. And we aren't even talking: deil, diel, sei, seis, seir, rei, reis, teil, steil. I don't know the percentage of "non-word" words I've had to learn to play this game, but it has little to do with being a native speaker.
    I have the advantage of speaking more than one (in fact far more than 2) languages and being a language nut. A lot of those words come from immgrants and made it into the US English language. Still I have been playing since 2007 and am on no list at all. Guess I am either not competitive or lazy...

Leave a comment:

• leabhar
    replied
    Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    I just checked Scheffek's totals. Take the total points and divide by the total games, and the number is 250 points higher than what is shown for Scheffek's average score per game. Take the total words and divide by the total games and you get an answer about twice as high as the number shown for average words per game. It's pretty clear that something is very wrong with the totals shown, and judging from my own scores only I think the numbers I computed are probably correct and the numbers shown in the table are not.

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied
    I just checked Scheffek's totals. Take the total points and divide by the total games, and the number is 250 points higher than what is shown for Scheffek's average score per game. Take the total words and divide by the total games and you get an answer about twice as high as the number shown for average words per game. It's pretty clear that something is very wrong with the totals shown, and judging from my own scores only I think the numbers I computed are probably correct and the numbers shown in the table are not.

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied
    As an interesting footnote, I looked at the lifetime score totals, and saw I was in 46th place -- I didn't think I was that high. But here's the really interesting part: I took the total points I had made and divided by the total games I had played. That should give me the lifetime points per game, right? The number I got was about ten points higher than the number shown for my lifetime points-per-game average.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    Every month brings something different. Last month I set the goals you've suggested here. The hardest was the points per word. It was the only month I made that list. This month I decided I wanted to join the millionaire's club. I'm about 35,000 points away right now for this month's total. Next month, I'm going to simply take it easy, study word combinations, and rest my wrists. Amazing the stress that all this hurried typing has on aging wrists. Maybe I'll take some art courses for balance.

Leave a comment:

• scheffek
    replied
    Originally posted by lalatan View Post
    scheffek, I noticed quite some time ago that you are #1 for lifetime points in the 5x5 Hall of Fame. An amazing achievement! Congrats!!
    Thanks. I'm still exercising my typing skills, and being here is more fun.

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    scheffek, I noticed quite some time ago that you are #1 for lifetime points in the 5x5 Hall of Fame. An amazing achievement! Congrats!!

Leave a comment:

• scheffek
    replied
    Well being a non-native speaker doesn't prevent you from reaching top scores - like mine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X