Not quite entered as time ran out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John13verse34 View Post
    I was just playing a new board, and my high-scoring word was STAINLESSNESSES... then just as time was about to run out, I realized that I could also play STRAINLESSNESSES. I started typing and the bell rang, and I never got to find out if it would count. If anyone plays this board and gets a chance at STRAINLESSNESSES, I'd love to know if it worked! :-D
    John13verse34

I thought about you as we recently discussed this. Funny, I didn't find STAINLESSNESSES...

Best word: STRAINLESSNESSES (30 pts.) New record!
    Longest word: STRAINLESSNESSES (16 letters) New record!

Comment

Just played immunifacient, then tried facient... didn't take, so tried again, but time ran out.

Were my fingers just clumsy or does WortTwist not take facient?

It's a perfectly legitimate word that means a doer, or in math a variable of a quantic.

Comment

Facient is not currently accepted in Wordtwist, but it is found in a new word list we will be adding to the game near the end of this year. (As is amimia/amimic, posted elsewhere recently.)
        If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Had darshan/darshans queued up but... bzzzzzzz!

Darshan is the act of perceiving God or someone/something holy/sacred. If you're Hindu.

Anyone ever played it and gotten it accepted?

Comment

Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post

John13verse34

I thought about you as we recently discussed this. Funny, I didn't find STAINLESSNESSES...

Best word: STRAINLESSNESSES (30 pts.) New record!
            Longest word: STRAINLESSNESSES (16 letters) New record!
            Congrats on finding STRAINLESSNESSES!! :-D

Comment

Was typing "nudnik"when time ran out.

Anyone know if nudnik and nudniks is accepted yet? It's in Lexic, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                Was typing "nudnik"when time ran out.

Anyone know if nudnik and nudniks is accepted yet? It's in Lexic, but...
                It is indeed allowed! NUDNIK appears in 31 puzzles, NUDNIKS in 6.
                If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Why do I keep seeing ness and nesses in virtually every puzzle? Why do I always see a word repeated from the previous puzzle?

Comment

Originally posted by BaronTopor View Post
                    Why do I keep seeing ness and nesses in virtually every puzzle? Why do I always see a word repeated from the previous puzzle?
                    It may be a function of you choosing puzzles with good-looking stats. As far as words repeated, there are previous posts from people who are really attentive to such things, with lists of words that occur most frequently. I suspect that if you throw a bunch of random letters at a grid and then throw away puzzles that don't have any words (or enough words) to be interesting, the puzzles you'd get would include words like ESNE, ESNES, NESS, NESSES, and on through volumes of common words, or at least words that become common because they use common letters near each other. I do remember someone posting a list of a whole LOT of words that occurred the most in puzzles, which led me to think that if someone wanted to be a real cheat they'd load up their cheat machine with all those common words and spray them out, and only then enter words manually. But geez, there are thousands of ways to cheat like that and cheaters are too stupid to do any of that because they're cheaters.

Comment

Wondering if anyone has ever played invocativenesses.

was following the -ivenesses path.

Saw evocativeness, but evocativenesses wouldn't work because the board had two i's.

Finally, with less than a hundred points, dumped the game, but noticed invocative as I pulled the trigger.

Too late to try it or invocativeness or invocativenesses.

Lexic doesn't have it, but that's not unusual. And word searches just want to give "innovativeness."

Comment

Lalatan,

just dumped a board so didn't see the end results.

Is lithochemistries a word allowed here?

Comment

I've never played it. It's a word in Wiktionary (the chemistry of rocks or stones) so it's likely valid.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                            I've never played it. It's a word in Wiktionary (the chemistry of rocks or stones) so it's likely valid.
                            reason I asked was you had a 16 letter 30 point word, and the only thing I saw that would do it was lithochemistries.

Don't think I've ever seen more than one 16 letter word on a board.

But, like said, dumped the board before I could see the answer.

Comment

Ahhh, now I see. I was unaware I was the record holder on the 4x4 board. (I thought possibly you were trying out 5x5.) Wow, that must be an oldie but goodie. I haven't played 4x4 for many moons. It also explains why my search in the folder I file new words I found and set records with yielded 6 other litho- words but not that one. I only save 5x5 screenshots. Admittedly my memory of new words I found is not flawless. I will go to save a screenshot with a word I'm quite certain I haven't found before and it will inform me there's already a file with that name. Lol, I'm not as smart as I think I am. Another side benefit of having that folder, keeps me humble.

So, yeah, LITHOCHEMISTRIES is probably the one you missed.

Yesterday I found CHEMICOPHYSIOLOGICALLY for the first time but didn't set the record. Dasan already had it. Only the second word I ever found with a chemico- prefix. The other was CHEMICOBIOLOGISTS, another 16 letter word you may see in the future.
                              Edit: I just found PALEOBIOCHEMISTRIES. Looks like chemistry is the flavor of the week.
                              Last edited by lalatan; 09-10-2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Humble is good. We tell the kindergarteners that they can't get better without mistakes. Mistakes are necessary for improvement. You learn a lot from mistakes. So make lots of mistakes--then figure out how to do better. They get pretty enthusiastic about making mistakes and having learned how to do it better. It's a thrill watching their pride about handling mistakes.

See chem frequently. Usually just a red herring.

Amazing how quickly games can lose the longest or best word. Just played one with 5 plays and both were gone. Odd words too.

Wouldn't know how to save stuff with screen shots and make the information retrievable. Screenshots I mostly reserve for conveying experience to others.

Prefer the pencil to notebook method for words. More intimate.

Of course, the notebooks are a mess and aren't organized well either. Can't retrieve a single thing. But, writing the words down helps me remember them.

Some cooking show we watch brought up a study which found that food tastes better if you eat it with your fingers. Apparently, the more senses involved, the more involved our minds.

That's one reason I try not to let computers do too much of my thinking.

Having notebooks strategically placed allows me to do quick studies without stress. More than a couple of minutes of word study becomes non productive. Have one in the car--for stop lights, idle moments and standing in line at the store. Have one next to my favorite throne. One above the kitchen counter. One by the back door--for sitting outside. One on my night stand. One next to the computer. And extras in development.

I just like the feel of writing in a good notebook with a good pen or pencil.

Comment

Working...
                                X