Pointless words to know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointless words to know

This month I’ve been playing every board where I think there is a possibility of getting the best word or longest word record. I’ve been doing this to try and expand my Wordtwist vocabulary. I came across a board, however, where a player I had never seen before had all the records and got 117-122 which I thought was strange. Although there were no records to achieve, I played the board for a chance to learn new words. And there were quite a few I had never seen before but the weirdest was definitely “Euouae.”
    a few boards later I learned Tauiwi(s)
    I wonder if Megaword has these in his word arsenal?

If anyone else has some peculiar words they’ve stumbled upon, I’d love to start a list!

*I titled this “Pointless Words” due to very limited opportunity to actually find these words*
    Last edited by boysmom; 12-22-2020, 05:38 PM.

I also stumbled upon euouae this past month myself (although it wasn't on WordTwist) and am surprised that a word of 6 letters with no consonants exists. It does have a variant with consonants: evovae.

Comment

There have been cheaters on this site in the past, where all kinds of odd things were achieved. One such would play board after board and find every word every time, even if that meant finding 400 or 500 words in 3 minutes. Others got 600 or more words in 3 minutes -- I think one even got 900+ words and scored more than 6,000 points, though I'd have to look that up. The example you cited looks like a very good but very human player. Quite a few play boards with the expressed intent of finding all the words (or as close to possible as all the words) and pick boards with a manageable word total to avoid typing contests. That strikes me as being a really difficult way to play this game, and I wish there was a record kept of "highest percentage of words found, all boards, for a month". You'd see some unfamiliar names, I think, and all of them would be very strong players.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
        There have been cheaters on this site in the past, where all kinds of odd things were achieved. One such would play board after board and find every word every time, even if that meant finding 400 or 500 words in 3 minutes. Others got 600 or more words in 3 minutes -- I think one even got 900+ words and scored more than 6,000 points, though I'd have to look that up. The example you cited looks like a very good but very human player. Quite a few play boards with the expressed intent of finding all the words (or as close to possible as all the words) and pick boards with a manageable word total to avoid typing contests. That strikes me as being a really difficult way to play this game, and I wish there was a record kept of "highest percentage of words found, all boards, for a month". You'd see some unfamiliar names, I think, and all of them would be very strong players.
        Why I would love for you to be right because I love good competition, I don’t believe this is a human player. I found a couple games of theirs afterwards where they got 268/271 and even a game where they got 398 words which strikes me as a cheater. They are atop the leader board for 4X4 this month for averaging roughly 1170 points and started playing today.

Comment

Something is not right here. I was online last night when the player in question started his/her first 4 x 4 game. He/she is now over 300 4 x 4 games played in less than 20 hours give or take. Possible but unlikely since sleep is a normal human requirement. He/she is also averaging over 470 words per game in 5 x 5. Using Megaword as a proxy for the higher end of the curve for what is humanly achievable, I know it took him years to top 300+ words in a single 5 x 5 game. I too hate to accuse anyone of cheating but this person has very likely written an algorithm to solve boards— this is almost always the case when you see a player finding all or almost all of the total words available on a board...........I hope the admin takes notice of this situation— he is usually quite quick to make sure that cheaters don’t spoil the competition for the rest of us honest players.........

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
            BWT1213, was this post meant to go in another thread? Possibly the one titled 1514 Points in 4x4?
            Common: 123 25 50 32 12 4 Wide: 43 16 14 7 5 1 Rare: 25 3 6 9 5 2 Ultra Rare: 115 17 31 31 22 14 Played: 28 times High Score: 1514 points by PumpkinEater Most Words: 290 words by

Comment

Originally posted by JJBeanie View Post

BWT1213, was this post meant to go in another thread? Possibly the one titled 1514 Points in 4x4?
              https://forum.puzzlebaron.com/forum/...-4x4#post24180
              Actually, no. To get all but three of 120 words is humanly possible, though difficult. I had no idea there was another cheater in action, but the scores mentioned and the number of words found for 4x4 and 5x5 are really not humanly possible. I am certain there are other players somewhere who are as good or better than Megaword or Fasteddieb or our other elite players, but the scores being discussed for PumpkinEater are ridiculous and clearly fake. Bluntly, no one is that good. And no one can play at that level that long without rest.

Comment

BWT1213, I wasn't sure how your original post (#3) fitted in with the "pointless word to know" topic started by boysmom, which is why I thought it belonged in another thread.

Comment

He or she (or it) has now played almost 90 5 x 5 games in about 3 hours. Average is score is 3300+, words per game average is 530. Best game is 4901 and most words is almost 800. Basically about 3x anything Megaword has ever done and they’ve put up as many total points in 3 hours that it would take me about 2 weeks to achieve—and they’re still going...........the 90 games in this time frame alone isn’t even possible and no one can type 800 words in 3 minutes............again, I sincerely hope the admin takes notice so that the honest players who worked hard for their achievements don't have them spoiled..........
                  Last edited by RussDNails; 12-23-2020, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Getting back to the original topic: syzygy is a great word that I hope someday to find on a board! Does that count, considering I have never played it?
                    Last edited by sadied; 12-23-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sadied View Post
                      Getting back to the original topic: syzygy is a great word that I hope someday to find on a board! Does that count, considering I have never played it?
                      I agree it's a great word, and it's always been on my personal list of words I hope to find someday! :-D No luck so far, but I keep looking...

"euouae" is also a really good one. I've never seen it before, although I have run into "euoi". I wonder if that's the longest no-consonant word in the dictionary. I'd be interested to know what the longest no-vowel word is. "tsktsks" is a valid word in the SOWPODS dictionary, although I've never actually seen it in a game.

Comment

Originally posted by John13verse34 View Post

snip snip ... "tsktsks" is a valid word in the SOWPODS dictionary, although I've never actually seen it in a game.
                        I've used "tsks" many times, along with "psst". I didn't know "tsktsks" was a valid word. I've just checked and "tsktsk" is also valid. I'll be on the lookout for all of them now.

Comment

I was surprised that "zzzs" was accepted. Only worth 6 points, though. I got 9 points for "zeze" in the same game.

Comment

Working...
                          X