Wonderous and silly things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderous and silly things

I wonder why in one game the word "sero" is accepted and in another not. I have that happen before and for a long time I doubted myself, but I wrote it down and now know for sure that some words are acctepted in one game, but not in the other.

On a lighter tone: I am not a native speaker and my native language is Dutch. So I did two games today and much to my surprise (and laughter) I found three Dutch words (which of course were not valid, but it was just funny to see THOSE words there in two consecutive games: kloten, kloot and bips.
    For those curious, Google translate helps

leabhar, that's funny! After translating kloten and kloot, I was a bit tentative about translating bips, lol.

English is my first language and being from Australia, we have a few common words that I'm often the first to find in a game. I don't know why, but that makes me smile. It's like they're my little edge in the game (and goodness knows I need an edge ) Some of those words are, "servo", "ambo", "arvo" and "nutso". For those who don't know:

servo = service/petrol station
    ambo = ambulance, ambulance officer or paramedic
    arvo = afternoon
    nutso = crazy

They might have other "proper" definitions, but that's how we use them in Australia
    Last edited by JJBeanie; 12-28-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Hoon, and Hoons, JJ....friends in the constabulary call them "Hoon Laws", the deliberate loss of traction does not stop me from having some sympathy for parents having their cars impounded, after having loaned (or being unlucky enough to have the last car in the driveway) to their offspring.

There is a least one word that I find, but don't submit, that I hope has another meaning in proper English, if it is from our historical use, it should be removed from any and every dictionary.

Comment

Teehee: best word "sproutings", by veganMASTER

Comment

Originally posted by JJBeanie View Post
          leabhar, that's funny! After translating kloten and kloot, I was a bit tentative about translating bips, lol.

English is my first language and being from Australia, we have a few common words that I'm often the first to find in a game. I don't know why, but that makes me smile. It's like they're my little edge in the game (and goodness knows I need an edge ) Some of those words are, "servo", "ambo", "arvo" and "nutso". For those who don't know:

servo = service/petrol station
          ambo = ambulance, ambulance officer or paramedic
          arvo = afternoon
          nutso = crazy

They might have other "proper" definitions, but that's how we use them in Australia

Servo has another, much more universal meaning: a motor coupled to a sensor for position feedback. (Short for servomotor.)

Comment

I remember hearing the term "nutso" back in the fifties in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (a desolate location rather like Maine, except rockier, colder, and snowier and with fewer people and fresh water instead of salt). We were often colder than whatever was reported as the nation's "cold spot" for the day, but there were never any official temperatures for Ishpeming or that general area, and no official measurements for the 200+ inches of snow every year (often enough, more than 300). Most years, the snow was gone by the time summer vacation (mosquito season) began, but one year it was still there when the first snowstorm of the new winter hit -- just after Labor Day. I'd tell you all the neat words we used, but I'm sure they're not in the dictionary. "Panky" snow, for example; hit it with the back of a metal shovel and it is just warm and wet enough to make a "pank" sound. So cold that water vapor condensed out of the atmosphere and fell as large clumps almost like snowflakes except that they were teacup-sized clumps and not flakes. Afterward, the sky wasn't blue so much as it was purple. Often, the inhabited areas of Alaska were warmer. All you Aussies, baking in your summer heat -- does this make you feel better?

Comment

Not to get political, but the word "sedition" came up in 2 out of 5 games I played yesterday.

Comment

Not wonderful, but definitely silly: I have had this OCD like compulsion that I can't "drop" a game unless I have scored at least 300 points. There have been some crazy last few second flurries. This habit has probably cost my scoring average several points each month. (The tough ones are when I finally cross the 300 point mark and the game times out before I can "drop" it.) Yesterday, for the first time, I looked at my score 268 points with 12 seconds to go and I "dropped" the game. It felt surprisingly good. I hope I can do that from now on.

Comment

Working...
                X