Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
    Hey Brian,

Yeah, I'm not much on playing for average so I submit a lot of games..........I could get my average up a bit by submitting less games but that's not what's fun for me. I like the total points deal--I'm currently #2 on the all-time 5 x 5 points list and am gunning for the top.......
    Cheers,

Russ
    I still like trying to make the top three in average score per month but lately I've been getting burned when someone comes in on the last day and tops my final numbers. I've been guilty of doing that myself and it's a fun strategy. My thing now is trying to raise my overall average. As of now I'm sitting at just under 895 and I'd like to get it up over 900.

Comment

It's just important to do what's fun for you, after all this is a game! I'm sure you'll hit your goal if you work at it...............yeah, I watch the leader boards and noticed you got bumped down last month. Bummer, but nothing to be ashamed of.........

As an aside, the title of this thread has been bugging my ocd........I'm almost 100% sure that "wonderous" is not a word! I think "Wondrous" is the correct spelling.........

Comment

Speaking of averages, there's something I've been meaning to write and I keep putting it off. Well, it's the start of the month and a perfect time to post it. It all comes down to the easy question: "what do I have to score on the next game to raise my average by a full point?". Here's an easy answer with no algebra at all for anyone with mathphobia. Let's suppose you've played 55 games so far with an average of 486. If you'd averaged a point more with every game you'd played so far, your average would be one point higher already, right? A point a game for 55 games is 55 points. If your next game won't pull your average down, you need to get that added point on that game, too. So, the next game would have to be 486 + 55 + 1 = 542 in order to raise your average by a point. To raise by two points, it's two points per game you've played, plus your current average, plus two on the next game. So you'd need 486 + 110 + 2 = 598 to raise the average by two points with the next game. You can do the same kind of thing to figure what you'd need to raise the average by a half point, a tenth, stuff like that. But I'll leave that as an exercise for the student. Heck, you can even figure out how much your last game improved or lowered your average by using the same logic. Again, an exercise for the student. But I hope this makes computation seem at least a little easier. Lots of computation can be simplified this way. So, is this a "wonderous" thing, or is it "silly"? I'm sure I'll be told!

Comment

I'm thinking wonderous, but then I love numbers, and maths, fond of fractions...my problem is that I'm so easily distra...Oh! Cookie....!

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
            Speaking of averages, there's something I've been meaning to write and I keep putting it off. Well, it's the start of the month and a perfect time to post it. It all comes down to the easy question: "what do I have to score on the next game to raise my average by a full point?". Here's an easy answer with no algebra at all for anyone with mathphobia. Let's suppose you've played 55 games so far with an average of 486. If you'd averaged a point more with every game you'd played so far, your average would be one point higher already, right? A point a game for 55 games is 55 points. If your next game won't pull your average down, you need to get that added point on that game, too. So, the next game would have to be 486 + 55 + 1 = 542 in order to raise your average by a point. To raise by two points, it's two points per game you've played, plus your current average, plus two on the next game. So you'd need 486 + 110 + 2 = 598 to raise the average by two points with the next game. You can do the same kind of thing to figure what you'd need to raise the average by a half point, a tenth, stuff like that. But I'll leave that as an exercise for the student. Heck, you can even figure out how much your last game improved or lowered your average by using the same logic. Again, an exercise for the student. But I hope this makes computation seem at least a little easier. Lots of computation can be simplified this way. So, is this a "wonderous" thing, or is it "silly"? I'm sure I'll be told!
            And now my head hurts.... I just play and that's it!

Comment

Originally posted by leabhar View Post

And now my head hurts.... I just play and that's it!
              Yes, but it's amazing how games like these get people's brains to operate in so many different ways. If that is the mission of this, then job well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Brisul View Post

I still like trying to make the top three in average score per month but lately I've been getting burned when someone comes in on the last day and tops my final numbers. I've been guilty of doing that myself and it's a fun strategy. My thing now is trying to raise my overall average. As of now I'm sitting at just under 895 and I'd like to get it up over 900.
                Yes, I'm using one of my own quotes. I just wanted to say that getting to 895 took 18 games this month as well as however many games it took me once I got over 894 last month.

Comment

Working...
                X