Only getting new games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only getting new games

Is this happening to anyone else, when I choose 'Load new random game', the game is 'always' a new one. I am not seeing games already played with other users scores. I am signed in, so this should not be the issue. It's not a setting, so this too cannot be the issue.

If anyone knows what's up, I would love some feedback.

Thanks
    Playonwords

Check out the message thread "New dictionary and new boards" for more info. There was a glitch when the new dictionary was added and all the board statistics got reset to zero. So for a while there will be a lot of unplayed boards.

Comment

Yes, I read the messages but did not associate it with all new boards. Thanks for the feedback

Cheers
      playonwords

Comment

Also for me, nopreviously-played and scored games. Only random new games for the past several days.

Comment

Sorry, just saw the note "Many games currently have no previous solving statistics as we just launched a new puzzle library on Feb 18th, 2021. These statistics will start to appear gradually over the next week."

Comment

Yes, it's no fun playing the new games.

Comment

I like taking only new (long) words, so for me it's kind of like Christmas. I'll enjoy it while I can.

Comment

For sure Spike! I had a grand time playing yesterday. Racked up 84 best/longest word records playing the same amount of hours. Got 26 of them in my 1 hour night session. I apparently have underestimated the amount of time I spend sifting thru games.

Comment

lalatan, if you lost any records in the changeover, I assume that you'll more than make up for them now. The hard part will be to stop playing.

Comment

I like to know a little more about how well I can expect to do, so if I can look at a board and say: "RussDNails got 700 on that one, so I ought to get 500", or got 800 so I could expect 560 or so, then I have a bit of a hint on how good the board will be. Just looking at the word counts tells me something, but there are a lot of boards that sure look like they ought to be really, really good -- and then I can't find anything. There are also boards that look like they won't be very good, but if another player's score says it's probably a good board I will play it anyway and it usually is pretty good. I play for high score and most points (and mostly for enjoyment), so I pay no attention at all to the number of games for which I have the high score, longest word, best word, or any of that stuff. I know that all my records are there only by accident or sufferance, because there are several dozen players who can take down any of my scores any time they wish. If Megaword wanted to be selective and play only the games for which I have the high score and my score is over 500, Megaword could pretty much guarantee a monthly average of at least 1000, and I would hold pretty much no records at the end of the month. Perhaps I might stumble on the best or longest word once in a while, but that would be it for me. So it doesn't bother me a bit if some knocks my name off any board. Really, it doesn't.

Comment

I'm missing my brief "word study" session after each game.

Comment

DonGuy47 I'm somewhat of a newbie and feel almost like the grid guinea pig playing so many random games. It is both an exciting and unnerving experience, but i'm still having fun.

Comment

Bwt1213–I’ve noticed that too—there seems to be little correlation between the word count stats for the boards and the actual words available—not a very useful parameter for choosing boards. For instance, stats for a board might say there are 280 common and 320 rare words but I will really struggle to get started. Then I’ll see a board with 120 common and 180 rare words and score 950-1000......

Comment

we are playing the unplayed boards as fast as we can (coz we play 'em all), I'm getting more and more unplayed ones....just give us a lil while...

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                              Bwt1213–I’ve noticed that too—there seems to be little correlation between the word count stats for the boards and the actual words available—not a very useful parameter for choosing boards. For instance, stats for a board might say there are 280 common and 320 rare words but I will really struggle to get started. Then I’ll see a board with 120 common and 180 rare words and score 950-1000......
                              I suspect that the statistics posted are correct, and there really are that many words. But they're backwards or coiled back on themselves and really hard to see. From time to time, I've had good luck by noting: "hey, here's a board that X should have scored an easy three hundred points higher, so let's rotate the board twice so it's upside down". But just as many times, no amount of rotation will do any good. Most people really aren't that good at reading words backwards or counterclockwise or both, or from top to bottom. Rotation won't fix many of those things. The only fix is to get good at reading words backwards or from bottom to top or coiled the wrong way. Hard for an old bunny like me to learn such tricks (to translate a German metaphor to English).

Comment

Working...
                              X