All the names...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arabesque View Post
    I too like to play boards where TOO MANY CHEATERS has one or more of the records, in hopes of removing it. The name is ridiculous enough, but the all caps makes it even worse.

Sadly, I'm not a significantly better player than TMC. Sometimes I've played the same boards in hopes of erasing the name, and have failed
    Nor am I. I have sometimes succeeded, but I think some of our stronger players ought to make it a mission. After all, he's calling all of them cheaters. I know if I were Megaword or Fasteddieb, or Brisul or Estive, or Scheffek or RussDNails, or Ellen or BoggleOtaku, or . . . gee, there are so MANY strong players. Please excuse me if I skipped you. And I know I missed at least three because I know who you are but I can't remember your names right now.

Comment

I'm confused about how one might "cheat" at this game. Can someone illuminate me?

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
        This username made me laugh when I saw it today: accraute.

While I'm here I've wondered about this for a while: are jakartajane, javajane77 and Arabesque incarnations of the same person?
        I love these names too and have started matchmaking. I'm sure dontcallmedennis is destined to be with shewhomustbeobeyed. Lots of other good potential romances out there!

Comment

Originally posted by papapapapapagena View Post
          I'm confused about how one might "cheat" at this game. Can someone illuminate me?
          You have a program play the game for you. It looks for every possible word in the puzzle (or hacks the download so it knows in advance all the legitimate words) and then spits them back to the game. Where human players struggle to get 100 words per minute, a program can do two or three times that easily, thus typing faster than the human world-record holder while scoring more than 4,000 points in a three-minute game. Now, why would anyone do that? Answers vary from "because I could", to "for the challenge", to "no one said I couldn't", to unprintable insults. It takes all kinds.

Comment

This username made me laugh when I saw it today: accraute.

While I'm here I've wondered about this for a while: are jakartajane, javajane77 and Arabesque incarnations of the same person?
            Yes and no. I used to play as jakartajane (where I was a much higher scorer than I am now, due to different playing strategies). But I am always amused when I see the name javajane because it sure sounds like a name I would use (except for the 77). But that's not me.

I also used to play as "Bored intheCar," at the same time I was playing as jakartajane.

How did you figure out that Arabesque = jakartajane? I may have mentioned it at some point, but otherwise I don't know how you'd be able to tell!

Comment

Originally posted by Arabesque View Post

Yes and no. I used to play as jakartajane (where I was a much higher scorer than I am now, due to different playing strategies). But I am always amused when I see the name javajane because it sure sounds like a name I would use (except for the 77). But that's not me...

How did you figure out that Arabesque = jakartajane? I may have mentioned it at some point, but otherwise I don't know how you'd be able to tell!
              I thought, "How many Janes from Jakarta, Java, Indonesia (Yes, I knew where it is. I'm interested in geography.) would be playing on this particular Boggle website?" I surmised that Jane is probably an atypical name there, unless it's slang for a woman, like Sheila is in Australia. jakartajane and Arabesque had the same writing style. They were both well-spoken and interested in women's rights. I don't think you ever mentioned your username change. I still remember your treatise on "gaming the system" in the previous forum. After reading it I also changed my playing strategy so you are partially responsible for my current gameplay. Thanks!

Edit: I posted this then added the smiley face. It became spam and was unapproved so I re-posted this.
              Last edited by lalatan; 04-21-2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdyak View Post

I love these names too and have started matchmaking. I'm sure dontcallmedennis is destined to be with shewhomustbeobeyed. Lots of other good potential romances out there!
                I concluded 2 years ago that if shewhomustbeobeyed and ruledbyagoldfish were a couple she would surely have gills.

Comment

I thought, "How many Janes from Jakarta, Java, Indonesia (Yes, I knew where it is. I'm interested in geography.) would be playing on this particular Boggle website?" I surmised that Jane is probably an atypical name there
                  True, it is not an Indonesian name - nor is it my real name. It's more of a nod to "Surabaya Sue" (whose real name was Muriel). I was living in Jakarta when I started calling myself that. (My real name is Carol.)

It remains a mystery who javajane is. She might just be a person who likes coffee.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Carol. Now I don't have to wonder anymore. I read about Surabaya Sue in Wikipedia. A remarkable and long-lived lady who was born not far from where my ancestors lived in Scotland. My goddaughter's brother lives in Bali. We seem to be global citizens much more these days.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

You have a program play the game for you. ... Now, why would anyone do that? ...
                      It turns out that if you can write a program that interacts with a web site, pushes its buttons, reads and responds to the pages it sends to your browser ... that (in general -- not specifically boggle!) may be a marketable skill. (E.g., google "Selenium webdriver jobs" ).

(Now that I think of it, if somebody had all that potentially lucrative talent, why would they spend it playing games? Oh, well ... for the practice, maybe).

Comment

Working...
                      X