Anybody know how to get rid of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snsmithaz View Post
    Re: Dictionary Inconsistency? (Can't find thread names)
    I just typed "electrophysicists," which was credited, and "electrophysicist," which wasn't.
    Added now, thanks!
    If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
      My computer hung yesterday while I was running File Explorer so I had to pull the power cord to force a cold boot. After everything came back (yay!) I noticed the eight ball icon. I recalled that there was a Chrome upgrade waiting for me to ok it. (I don't always do so right away. Happens too often IMO.) So when I restarted the computer it also upgraded Chrome.
      Sort of a PSA for Chrome users: I'm retracting my statement about Chrome updates happening too often. I read it has been hacked 8 times already this year with what is called a zero-day vulnerability. (I don't pretend to understand all the computer gibberish about it.) Google keeps sending out updates to patch the latest hacker attack. So I'd recommend updating every time it shows up now in the upper right corner of the browser. I just did another update today.

https://therecord.media/google-patch...h-one-in-2021/
      Last edited by lalatan; 09-10-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
        Thanks for the reply--so you see it too?

It's weird, I'm only seeing this on my laptop...............I just updated Chrome on my desktop and that icon does not appear.......

Best,

Russ

P.S. I'm also wondering why the title of my thread doesn't appear on the Forums sidebar on the Wordtwist home page? Not sure if I've ever started a thread before but I thought I did it right, posted "Anybody know how to get rid of this?" in the title section of New Thread of the Wordtwist forum.....
        That's why I'm here, because it was listed in the discussions section. You did it right. Yes, it took me a while to figure out how to post. Unfortunately its not easily understood for all of us.

Thanks for adding the image. Since I use a Mac, my window looks different using Chrome. Also my updates happen automatically and go through my Norton security pack, so if its not kosher, it won't happen. Norton can be an annoying pain w/their waaaay too many emails (since they merged w/Lifelock), yet thankfully they're still doing their job keeping out malware & phishing thieves (@ least for the time being).

I use a desktop computer, not a laptop. I'm not a fan of scrolling w/my finger, to me that's just weird.

Comment

I'm afraid to "edit" my message (since then It'll be spam). So I'll just add my image in this message. This links to my previous reply:

Chrome Browser on iMac 4 WT forum jpeg.jpg

This is how my Chrome browser looks @ the top right corner. Again, I use a Mac desktop w/Norton anti-virus software enabled.

Comment

Chrome updates? 8-ball icon? I've been using Chrome for about five years now, and I don't recall ever doing an update, ever having an update done, nor ever seeing an 8-ball icon. Looking at my screen now, I don't see one. I have two round icons on the upper right. One has a "B" in it and if I hover over it, it says "Bruce". The other one is smaller and has a little wedge in it, and hovering over it shows the message "Search tabs". That's it. Perhaps the 8-ball icon has shown itself in the past and I never noticed it, though I think that's doubtful. I've had to power-off reset my computer several times this year and was never asked to update Chrome or anything else. So, I'm mystified.

Comment

Well heck, I might as well add the left side too since you mentioned the minimize button:

Chrome Browser L wndw 4 WT forum jpg.jpg

This is how my Chrome browser looks @ the top left corner. Again, I use a Mac desktop w/Norton anti-virus software enabled.

BTW, My Chrome Theme is a silhouette rocky beach against a sunset sky so that's why the left side is blue/green/purple & the right is orange/yellow pink.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                Chrome updates? 8-ball icon? I've been using Chrome for about five years now, and I don't recall ever doing an update, ever having an update done, nor ever seeing an 8-ball icon. Looking at my screen now, I don't see one. I have two round icons on the upper right. One has a "B" in it and if I hover over it, it says "Bruce". The other one is smaller and has a little wedge in it, and hovering over it shows the message "Search tabs". That's it. Perhaps the 8-ball icon has shown itself in the past and I never noticed it, though I think that's doubtful. I've had to power-off reset my computer several times this year and was never asked to update Chrome or anything else. So, I'm mystified.
                Nice to meet you Bruce. When I hover over the little person on the right side of my browser, it says "you".

The 8ball is just a description of what he's seeing, you need to reread the beginning of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                  The other one is smaller and has a little wedge in it, and hovering over it shows the message "Search tabs". That's it. Perhaps the 8-ball icon has shown itself in the past and I never noticed it, though I think that's doubtful. I've had to power-off reset my computer several times this year and was never asked to update Chrome or anything else. So, I'm mystified.
                  The B is your account button. The search tabs icon I dubbed the 8 ball. If there's an update available, an update button appears in the upper right corner. Perhaps if you've never seen it you're on some kind of auto-update setting.
                  Last edited by lalatan; 09-10-2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                    Hey Lalatan--nice to hear from you, it's been a while! It's good to know the "eight ball" (that's a good way to describe it) isn't part of a virus--until I heard from Cathy aka bionicflutist I really thought I might have infected my laptop somehow.........I'm still not sure why my thread title doesn't appear on the forum sidebar and it also doesn't update when someone posts a reply. It was while before I thought to click on it again and was happy to see your reply.

Your word is better than mine--you don't see many words with two Qs in them........very impressive.........

BTW, I was proud of myself for making a very simple but unique word in that it has no vowels. All these years of playing Wordtwist, tons of crossword puzzles and other word games and I never did this before. Only 4 letters but still there are very few words in any language without a vowel. Oh yeah, the word was PSST. It means exactly what it sounds like--the sound you make when you're trying to get someone's attention.

Thanks again for the reply and more reassurance my laptop isn't infected!

Cheers,

Russ
                    I just got a word w/no vowels as well Lym = n. A dog held in a leam; a bloodhound; a limehound.

You should add your PSST to my Unique Words thread.

Comment

If you go back earlier in this thread I had posted a simple hack to get rid of the 8 ball..............however, Google in its infinite wisdom decided the 8 ball (search tabs) icon must never be destroyed and will be with us 'til the end of time. They eliminated the hack around April of this year and any further Chrome updates will have the 8 ball. Hence, goodbye Chrome. Microsoft Edge is actually a pretty nice browser and I could export all my bookmarks from Chrome.......

Comment

Working...
                      X