Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Good word. Stan.

Doesn't accept pex either, which is so common in building. A type of cross-linked polyethylene plumbing pipe that's replaced copper in most home construction. PEX has been around for a couple of decades.
    It's long been a rule in standard English that any action verb will take an -r or -er ending to mean "someone or something that --". So. a "poler" is "one who poles", and a "soler" is "one who soles". But "doler" is not allowed, nor is "holer". Were either to appear in a sentence, no native English speaker would have any doubt to their meaning. In fact, they are not made-up words, they are actual words. There are at least thousands, if not tens of thousands of such words not in this dictionary nor in SOWPODS. And, of course, we should remember that the plural of such nouns is always formed by adding an "s", so "dolers" and "holers" are also words. You can call me a doler of truth. And anything you call a punch could as well be called a "holer". I could be wrong, but it seems that for about a third of all action verbs, this "adding -r or -er" rule is disallowed in this game's dictionary and also in SOWPODS. And all those plurals are also disallowed, of course.

Comment

Yes, sometimes the suffix is "or" or "ar". But that would not be the case for the examples I mentioned. I believe I recently tried to use "foiler" and was denied, too. I looked up the rule on line and the discussion mentioned "creating a noun of agency" from a verb. No exceptions to the rule were mentioned for any action verb. If the noun is intended to refer to a class, then the "or" ending is used (distributor, vendor, etc.)

Comment

Love the look of copper. But, pex is cheaper. And hidden behind walls? Who sees it? Plus, copper can freeze and burst when connected to outside faucets when the temperature drops waaaaaaaaay down. Tearing corroded, concrete-embedded gal out is definitely not fun. Nor cheap.
        How is Pex different from PVC? I know PVC is very common in my area & it cracks when it gets super cold (30˚F or colder). So pipes burst inside of walls & also creates a big (expensive) mess.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

How is Pex different from PVC? I know PVC is very common in my area & it cracks when it gets super cold (30˚F or colder). So pipes burst inside of walls & also creates a big (expensive) mess.

From personal experience with frozen pipes, I can tell you that I was able to thaw them by gently heating them with a propane torch because they were made of copper. I would not have been able to do that with any kind of plastic. The particular frozen pipes were as a result of an extended cold spell, where at the peak the temperature was -27 F and the wind chill more than -100 F (thanks to winds of about 60 mph). That was in the middle of a week in which the temperature never went above zero and was -20 or worse every night. I have experienced, personally, temperatures of -43 F with no wind, and then the cold was sneaky. The -100 F wind chill was agony, and I have never suffered so much to get the mail. It was like being flayed alive, though I though I was warmly dressed. Stepping from the house into the wind and the cold was indescribably painful. When I thawed the pipes I was inside, though cold. I was uncomfortable, but not in immediate danger of death. I can say that PVC is really easy to install, very durable, and quite light. Copper really demands a plumber. I like copper.

Comment

Polyethelene ("pe" part of pex) cross-linked molecules ("x "part of pex) comprise the pex tubing and allow for expansion up to 3 times the tube's nominal diameter, yet have material "memory" which allows them to shrink back to their original shape. You can also carefully bend pex into an arc if needed to avoid the extra elbow fittings used in plumbing.

Copper and PVC (polyvinyl chloride) are rigid materials that lack the flexibility to expand enough to handle the terrific pressure of water freezing.

After all, freezing water breaks rocks and causes mountains to crumble.

Nothing's perfect, and enough force pretty much destroys any building material, but you use what gives you the best advantage in your circumstances. Who knows what new materials technological advances will bring in the future?

Comment

I live in a temperate climate, so the worst I ever get it a light crusting of ice in my windscreen, but PEX?....saved me thousands when I replaced the old crusty gal...the hardware store sells the pipe and the fittings (and the white plastic suits with the hoods to keep the spiders out of your hair)...cuts easily, no crimping tool, bends sufficiently to curve around posts, and is waaay cheaper than copper, the loveliest bit of invisible DIY ever!

Comment

Polyethelene ("pe" part of pex) cross-linked molecules ("x "part of pex) comprise the pex tubing and allow for expansion up to 3 times the tube's nominal diameter, yet have material "memory" which allows them to shrink back to their original shape. You can also carefully bend pex into an arc if needed to avoid the extra elbow fittings used in plumbing.

Copper and PVC (polyvinyl chloride) are rigid materials that lack the flexibility to expand enough to handle the terrific pressure of water freezing.

After all, freezing water breaks rocks and causes mountains to crumble.

Nothing's perfect, and enough force pretty much destroys any building material, but you use what gives you the best advantage in your circumstances. Who knows what new materials technological advances will bring in the future?
                Thank you Naboka. I wonder if I could request Pex when a plumber comes to repair my future PVC plumbing. I know when I've complained about the PVC cracking in the past, they just replace with copper pipes. It seems to me the copper is more durable as its only the joints that will split & create a leak whereas in PVC it could be anywhere alone the tube. I'm no fan of PVC but almost every contractor I've ever hired wants to replace just about everything with it. I'm supposing because its cheap and it will crack then they'll be rehired to fix it, thus charging me yet again, over and over.

I didn't know freezing water broke rocks and caused mountains to crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

From personal experience with frozen pipes, I can tell you that I was able to thaw them by gently heating them with a propane torch because they were made of copper. I would not have been able to do that with any kind of plastic. The particular frozen pipes were as a result of an extended cold spell, where at the peak the temperature was -27 F and the wind chill more than -100 F (thanks to winds of about 60 mph). That was in the middle of a week in which the temperature never went above zero and was -20 or worse every night. I have experienced, personally, temperatures of -43 F with no wind, and then the cold was sneaky. The -100 F wind chill was agony, and I have never suffered so much to get the mail. It was like being flayed alive, though I though I was warmly dressed. Stepping from the house into the wind and the cold was indescribably painful. When I thawed the pipes I was inside, though cold. I was uncomfortable, but not in immediate danger of death. I can say that PVC is really easy to install, very durable, and quite light. Copper really demands a plumber. I like copper.
                  Eeek! Where were you living? I'll be sure to NEVER MOVE THERE! I don't like the cold.

I would have to hire a plumber either way as I'm not handy with those types of tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by floppers View Post
                    I live in a temperate climate, so the worst I ever get it a light crusting of ice in my windscreen, but PEX?....saved me thousands when I replaced the old crusty gal...the hardware store sells the pipe and the fittings (and the white plastic suits with the hoods to keep the spiders out of your hair)...cuts easily, no crimping tool, bends sufficiently to curve around posts, and is waaay cheaper than copper, the loveliest bit of invisible DIY ever!
                    Thanks floppers. So Pex looks like PVC but is more durable and apparently just as inexpensive.

Thanks everyone for your insight. There's always so much to know, I can barely keep up with it all.

Comment

Eeek! Where were you living? I'll be sure to NEVER MOVE THERE! I don't like the cold.

I would have to hire a plumber either way as I'm not handy with those types of tasks.

The -43 was in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The -27 was in northern Illinois (and probably in Southern Wisconsin, as well). I know that Minnesota is at least as cold as either, and if I were you, I'd avoid the Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming. And Iowa. And Nebraska and Kansas, for that matter. And Maine and Vermont. Come to think of it, you'd probably be happy only in Southern California, most of the Gulf Coast, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or Mexico and places south. Now, a whole LOT of Australia would be nice for you. Except that you might die by spider bite or snake bite, or by crocodiles, or be paralyzed by a tick. Or step on a fish or brush a jellyfish. But at least you wouldn't freeze. I know, Aussies will tell you that the dangers aren't so bad. And I can tell you that the cold isn't that bad, too.

Comment

The Aussies say, "be very, very, careful of the wombats". (Google dangerous wombats....it's a thing). We probably should have had a Koala and a Wombat on our Coat of Arms (especially since we don't eat them).

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

The -43 was in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The -27 was in northern Illinois (and probably in Southern Wisconsin, as well). I know that Minnesota is at least as cold as either, and if I were you, I'd avoid the Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming. And Iowa. And Nebraska and Kansas, for that matter. And Maine and Vermont. Come to think of it, you'd probably be happy only in Southern California, most of the Gulf Coast, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or Mexico and places south. Now, a whole LOT of Australia would be nice for you. Except that you might die by spider bite or snake bite, or by crocodiles, or be paralyzed by a tick. Or step on a fish or brush a jellyfish. But at least you wouldn't freeze. I know, Aussies will tell you that the dangers aren't so bad. And I can tell you that the cold isn't that bad, too.
                          LOL ... Actually in Maryland it gets cold too. Every so often it gets around 4˚F & I'm a sh-h-h-i-v-v-e-r-ring! Though mostly our winters are between 10˚F-40˚F which while COLD, its certainly NOT THAT COLD like where you mentioned. I've noticed that below 40˚ latitude is best climate for me, anything more north is too much. My cousin lived in Texas for a while and their winters were very pleasant, around 50˚F on most days, of course now their summers were brutally HOT where having AC was essential for comfortable breathing. Its true, I do prefer a more temperate climate. California's routine fire seasons would be too much for me (I think I could endure the earthquakes in comparison-we have those too). Maryland has Black Widow, Brown & Black spiders that will kill or very much injure. Ticks that carry Lyme Disease or Rocky Mountain Fever that after just one bite will stay with you forever. Jellyfish, oh yeah, tons of them in the Atlantic Ocean. That's why they sell water shoes @ Dick's Sporting Goods. I don't know about Australia, I've never traveled there. I know there's lots of very poisonous snakes and they are everywhere like in people's backyards on a regular basis, not a fan of snakes. I know Australia is mostly wild except for the cities & its VERY HOT in the summer since in January the earth is closest to the sun (although here in North American mostly it doesn't FEEL like it is). My point is there's pluses and minuses for every locale all over the world. Its what you're able to endure & tolerate.

Comment

pluses and minuses for every locale all over the world.
                            Los Angeles area here. Earthquakes are really not an issue unless you get very unlucky. Fires are not an issue if your area is relatively flat with a network of roads around you. But both of those do increase the cost of living, which would be very high anyway. And air conditioning is very, very expensive. It's nice that plants almost always winter over, but I'd live a bit further north if I had a choice. At some point fairly soon, southern California will run out of water.

Comment

Originally posted by DonGuy47 View Post

Los Angeles area here. Earthquakes are really not an issue unless you get very unlucky. Fires are not an issue if your area is relatively flat with a network of roads around you. But both of those do increase the cost of living, which would be very high anyway. And air conditioning is very, very expensive. It's nice that plants almost always winter over, but I'd live a bit further north if I had a choice. At some point fairly soon, southern California will run out of water.
                              California (CA) is very expensive indeed. Like a 2 thousand square foot house almost a million. Amazing! In Maryland you can get twice that much for a lot less.

I had heard of an idea, I'm sure it would be very expensive, yet a consideration. Why not build a pipeline from the Mississippi river to CA. Every year in the spring many places flood down river because of the north winter thaw, this could be prevented by just diverting that water to CA. Then CA would have plenty and the flooding problem would abate. I know in the senate there was a big debate about an oil pipeline that the republicans wanted to build from Alaska to Texas. That's a much father amount of land distance through a very cold part of the world. Whereas the water pipeline could be built across the warmer southern states and cover far less territory and benefit so many people. I think its a good solution.

Comment

California (CA) is very expensive indeed. Like a 2 thousand square foot house almost a million. Amazing! In Maryland you can get twice that much for a lot less.

If you want inexpensive but decent housing, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has something to offer. Take a look in Marquette County to start with, and tell Realtor.com that you want to see houses under $20,000. The climate can be brutal in the winter, but if you want a summer place in town with running hot and cold water it could be a good deal. The thing is, there are a LOT of places like that in the USA. A lot of small towns basically went belly-up, and houses in small towns in places like Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, etc. can be had for practically nothing because they're deserted and the town wants someone to live in them. The downstroke is usually that there are no jobs anywhere nearby, the nearest hospital is a healthy drive, and the same for any stores. That's what happens to small towns in the USA when all the jobs are outsourced to China, Indonesia, India, Borneo, etc.

I am certain that the same kind of thing is happening almost everywhere in the developed world. Desperately poor people will do almost any job at any wage to survive, and that fact is not lost on the corporate world. I offer no insults and no solutions. This is not a political forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X