Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another:

Ait = n. An islet, or little isle, in a river or lake; an eyot.

Comment

You had a sorel in your soler? Egads! How'd you get him out?

Sorel: a young buck in his third year.

Soler: an upper room.

Each 8 points, 10 points plural,

Comment

This one just begs posting.

So, I was looking up kora, kore, koro and koru.

Drum roll...

KORO: A delusional syndrome found in Malay and southern Chinese populations, characterized by a belief that the subject's penis will retract into the abdomen and cause death.

A delusion I've never entertained.

Until now.

OMG!!!!!!!!

Not as lovely as oont, but certainly memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
          This one just begs posting.

So, I was looking up kora, kore, koro and koru.

Drum roll...

KORO: A delusional syndrome found in Malay and southern Chinese populations, characterized by a belief that the subject's penis will retract into the abdomen and cause death.

A delusion I've never entertained.

Until now.

OMG!!!!!!!!

Not as lovely as oont, but certainly memorable.
          LOL ... Talk about fake news.

Comment

Not recently-learned words, but I've learned they happen to be in the dictionary in this game: various Indian military ranks. I've gotten points for NAIK (equivalent to corporal) and SUBEDAR (equivalent to warrant officer). I've also scored points for SEPOY and SOWAR (the equivalents to private in infantry and cavalry respectively), but those were also generic terms used for native troops in British India.

I assume that HAVILDAR, DAFFADAR, and RISALDAR are in the dictionary as well, but haven't seen them on WordTwist boards.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

LOL ... Talk about fake news.
              One man's "fake news" is another man's opportunity to fill his tank with indignation and fear.

Nothing quite like the power generated by indignation and fear to propel our vehicles.

Unfortunately, that propelling is often over a cliff, but...

Comment

Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post
                Not recently-learned words, but I've learned they happen to be in the dictionary in this game: various Indian military ranks. I've gotten points for NAIK (equivalent to corporal) and SUBEDAR (equivalent to warrant officer). I've also scored points for SEPOY and SOWAR (the equivalents to private in infantry and cavalry respectively), but those were also generic terms used for native troops in British India.

I assume that HAVILDAR, DAFFADAR, and RISALDAR are in the dictionary as well, but haven't seen them on WordTwist boards.
                I've tried "altern" and "subaltern" and neither have been accepted in the past. I don't know their military equivalents, but I know from context that they are terms for some kind of junior officer ranks. So I'll bet that a lot of the ranks you mentioned will not be accepted. I'm surprised that the words you mentioned were accepted, because I have frequently run into altern and subaltern. Perhaps the ranks I mentioned have nothing to do with India. I will look them up.

Comment

I looked them up. Subaltern is a general term for any junior officer in the British Army, typically for second lieutenants. It is ALSO used to describe people who are marginalized and voiceless, denied representation in society, particularly (but not exclusively) to India. "Altern", on the other hand, is simply an archaic form of "alternate". Both are legitimate words and ought to be in the dictionary.

Comment

I think I've gotten points for ALTERN.

Comment

Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post

Fascinating. I hadn't thought of using military terms. I know in crossword puzzles a popular rank is NCO (non-commissioned officer), yet that's an acronym, so not sure if it wold be accepted here. I must admit I'm not familiar with many military ranks, only what were used in films I had seen. I only know of one other, plebe or plebeians = a first year student.

Great idea!

Comment

Fascinating. I hadn't thought of using military terms. I know in crossword puzzles a popular rank is NCO (non-commissioned officer), yet that's an acronym, so not sure if it wold be accepted here. I must admit I'm not familiar with many military ranks, only what were used in films I had seen. I only know of one other, plebe or plebeians = a first year student.

Great idea!
                        The interesting thing is not that they're military terms -- it's that they're military terms that are not used outside South Asia.

Comment

Would like to say good luck to all our friends on the louisiana coast and neighboring coastlines and my friends and family this morning including myself.. as Cat 5 hurricane Ida is now almost on our banks and conditions are deteriorating fast. God bless us all and good luck

Comment

Good luck. Hope to see a post again from you soon. I am praying for everyone in the path of the storm.

Comment

I just learned a new word:

Wivern = Noun. A fire-breathing dragon used in medieval heraldry; had the head of a dragon and the tail of a snake and a body with wings and two legs.

Eeek, sounds scary!

Comment

I just learned a new word:

Wivern = Noun. A fire-breathing dragon used in medieval heraldry; had the head of a dragon and the tail of a snake and a body with wings and two legs.

Eeek, sounds scary!

Had to look at that one...scary, yes, and rather impressive, although I am leaning more toward the scary.

Unknown.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X