Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OREOLOGY (14 pts)

Unfortunately, not the study of Oreos, but instead the study of mountains. I took a screen shot of that one, I thought it was a hoot.

Comment

Okay, I just tried to fix a typo in a post, and it got flagged as spam. Seriously, changing "didnot" to "did not" isn't something spam-worthy. I'm with you, lalatan.

Comment

Originally posted by currerbell View Post
        OREOLOGY (14 pts)

Unfortunately, not the study of Oreos, but instead the study of mountains. I took a screen shot of that one, I thought it was a hoot.
        Speaking of oreos, I recently discovered that there are plain vanilla oreos -- cookies with no chocolate in them whatever. I'd always thought I'd hated oreos, because of that chocolate outer cookie that always tasted bitter and dry and dusty and altogether terrible. So now I have to deal with a completely new world, where oreo does not have to be a misspelling of "disgusting". Alas, there are still all kinds of other things that contain that particular kind of chocolate I find so intolerable. Fortunately, there are all kinds of chocolate candy bars (Hershey's, Snickers, M&Ms, etc.) that aren't so bad. But now I wonder: are there two completely different kinds of chocolate? Is there a kind put in chocolate ice cream or chocolate milk that is completely horrible and another that is put on Dairy Queen cones and is delicious? Since my taste buds are about as destroyed as you might expect at age 74, I invite someone younger to explain things to me that I will probably never taste nor appreciate otherwise. I also invite anyone to tell me words that might mean "hates chocolate", "loves chocolate", "seeks chocolate", and "avoids chocolate". Certainly such words must exist!

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

Speaking of oreos, I recently discovered that there are plain vanilla oreos -- cookies with no chocolate in them whatever. I'd always thought I'd hated oreos, because of that chocolate outer cookie that always tasted bitter and dry and dusty and altogether terrible. So now I have to deal with a completely new world, where oreo does not have to be a misspelling of "disgusting". Alas, there are still all kinds of other things that contain that particular kind of chocolate I find so intolerable. Fortunately, there are all kinds of chocolate candy bars (Hershey's, Snickers, M&Ms, etc.) that aren't so bad. But now I wonder: are there two completely different kinds of chocolate? Is there a kind put in chocolate ice cream or chocolate milk that is completely horrible and another that is put on Dairy Queen cones and is delicious? Since my taste buds are about as destroyed as you might expect at age 74, I invite someone younger to explain things to me that I will probably never taste nor appreciate otherwise. I also invite anyone to tell me words that might mean "hates chocolate", "loves chocolate", "seeks chocolate", and "avoids chocolate". Certainly such words must exist!
          Its a good thing they make all kinds of chocolate because the chocolate cookie part of the oreo is all that I like. That white fluffy sugary middle, its just sugar & hydrogenated palm oil, ick! As you can see we both don't eat oreos, yet for different reasons. You seem to like the sugary sweeter or milkier kind of chocolate & I prefer the less sweetened bittersweet chocolate. Of course I'm not a big fan of chocolate in general, yet if I'm going to have some, keep that ultra sweetened type away from me. Ick! Like Hershey's chocolate in general is tooooo sweet. The only time I ate some I liked was when I visited the factory in PA, then it was fresher & hadn't marinated in its sugar. It seems the only chocolate I like lately is Godiva Dark Chocolate Pearls. The package is small, I can have a couple, to taste the flavor of it, yet won't have too much (like eating a bar, per se). So much chocolate adds Vanilla of which I can't consume, so finding some I can eat is very difficult.

So to answer your question, its all the same chocolate, its just the amount of sweetener or milk (and preservatives) they add to the product. I've gotten to the point I really can't stand ice cream either as all of it is too sweet. They do make types with fake sugar, yet the amount of sweetness is the same. Too much. The only way to have less sweetened ice cream is to make it yourself, then you can control its sweetness. Of course then I'd make unique flavors like lavender, cinnamon, jasmine, green tea, taro, licorice, St. Germaine, Guinness ... Since it is the sweetness you prefer, you have such a larger selection of choices available, especially made in the US. Again, thank goodness they make all kinds of chocolate for so many different tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by currerbell View Post
            OREOLOGY (14 pts)

Orelogy. Actually the study of mountains for mining.

I also found something very unique, imagine a beer brewed with milk. Yep. Its called Oreology. LOL Sounds very similar to my Guinness ice cream (which is very good by the way). I couldn't consume it as they add vanilla, but it does sound tasty: https://www.riverlandsbrewing.com/oreology .

Comment

I have a weird relationship with chocolate. I love chocolate on its own (either in the form of chocolate candies or hot cocoa), but I hate chocolate ice cream and chocolate cake. Same for chocolate cookies (though I like chocolate chip cookies). I think it might be a textural thing. I feel chocolate ruins the texture of either ice cream or baked goods.

Comment

Trying to repost my previously unapproved post.....

Well, my memory isn't what it used to be. I misspelled the word. It's OVOVIVAPOROUS.
                Lalatan, I am shocked, truly shocked, that you did not remember how to spell that word.

I bet there once were two scientists who did have exactly that very conversation, including the word "plebeian."

Years ago I was watched a fascinating (I've always been interested in language) series on PBS called the Story of English. The host Robert MacNeil (a Canadian) travelled the world and investigated how English is spoken in various countries. Each nation has made English its own and even in the same country there are many dialects (For instance I, as a western Canadian, sometimes can't understand some Newfoundlanders at all. It's the easternmost province.)
                I remember that series, and it had a companion book, also called The Story of English. Amazon still has it (of course). Publication date was 1986 -- I was in college! Eek.

There is another book I enjoyed on English, the language: The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way, by Bill Bryson. A little zippier, and funnier (sorry Messrs. McCrum, Cranksets, and MacNeil). That one was originally published in 1990 -- I was in graduate school*! Eeeek.

*Looking back, probably not my wisest move. Jobs with an MA in English weren't easy to find, especially for one who decided she abhorred teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post

I have a weird relationship with chocolate. I love chocolate on its own (either in the form of chocolate candies or hot cocoa), but I hate chocolate ice cream and chocolate cake. Same for chocolate cookies (though I like chocolate chip cookies). I think it might be a textural thing. I feel chocolate ruins the texture of either ice cream or baked goods.
                  My tastes are closer to yours, I think. I actually don't like sweet foods (I rarely eat desserts, and eat only unsweetened cereal for breakfast -- e.g. cornflakes and milk) and wouldn't ordinarily buy chocolate bars or M&Ms. But I really don't like chocolate cake or cupcakes. On the other hand, I like brownies. For me, though, it's the dry and bitter taste chocolate seems to have in some things. Ice cream is really sweet, so you'd think I'd be okay with chocolate ice cream. To me, chocolate destroys it and no amount of sugar would save it. I don't like hot cocoa, either, for the same reason, nor chocolate milk. I'd far rather have a cup of tomato soup than hot cocoa. A Hershey's bar is good, and so is a Snickers. But I haven't eaten either in several years. I also like chocolate chip cookies and dislike chocolate cookies.

But back to WordTwist: In this vein, is "chocoholic" accepted as a word? How about "chocophile" or "chocophobe"? And, speaking of food, did you know that the term for someone who values quantity over quality is "gourmand"? Someone who values quality over quantity is, of course, a gourmet. I count myself in the gourmand camp.

Comment

I also dislike chcolate ice cream; I am pleased and relieved to know that others do, also. I have long thought there was something wrong with me, especially since I love just about every other kind of chocolate, including bars, kisses, nuggets, chips, cake, icing, and probably tea, if they could figure out how to make that work. I guess that is called "hot chocolate," but there really must be a tea that could be made of it, chocolate with no milky stuff.

But back to WordTwist: In this vein, is "chocoholic" accepted as a word? How about "chocophile" or "chocophobe"? And, speaking of food, did you know that the term for someone who values quantity over quality is "gourmand"? Someone who values quality over quantity is, of course, a gourmet. I count myself in the gourmand camp.
                    Did not know the specifics of gourmand and gourmet; thank you, bwt1213.I wish I was a chocophobe and not a chocophile. I'm not fond of the "-holic" suffix, as I had several of the "alco-" kind in my family. Fortunately, I only have chocolate issues.

Back to WordTwist, I recently discovered a new part of speech for a word I've long known. My new 4x4 board popped up, and I honed in on the "-ing" in the corner, but I was having a dreadful time with it. I thought maybe it was one of those times when an "-ing" is not really an "-ing." I was looking at the other mess of letters, and I thought, "honestly, that looks like SEPULCHRE. But alas, no "e." So I thought, "Well, this is WordTwist," and I typed in SEPULCHRING. Bing! 11 letters, and...10 points. You just never know around here.

Comment

Here's another new word I just learned. Quoll apparently its this really cute animal the size of a cat in Australia.

quoll by DanielleMine deviantART.jpeg

Comment

And, speaking of food, did you know that the term for someone who values quantity over quality is "gourmand"? Someone who values quality over quantity is, of course, a gourmet. I count myself in the gourmand camp.
                        This is really interesting. I'm a gourmet, I prefer quality over quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

This is really interesting. I'm a gourmet, I prefer quality over quantity.
                          I remember a meal from when I was a kid of 12 to 15 years old (mom and dad were both working, so I cooked dinner and washed the dishes -- family of five -- so it was not at all fancy). Start with some hamburger meat, about a pound. Cook it in a frying pan, stir it up until it was all done. Then pour in cans of baked beans until the pan was really full. Keep heating until it was all hot. Use a suitable utensil (cup measure, ladle, whatever was handy) to put the result on plates. Dinner! I could eat a whole lot of that and similar dishes featuring pasta, rice, and potatoes in place of the beans. The meals were hot, had plenty of protein and lots of carbs, and were easy to make in large quantities. I loved them. We had steak maybe twice a year -- expensive. I loved feeling full, and before and during the time I was growing rapidly, I would eat between 5,000 and 6,000 calories a day. I was barely over 5 feet tall at the start and weighed less than 100 pounds and was NOT at all fat -- and even when I became well over six feet tall I weighed less than 160. We could not afford fancy food and I needed lots of calories, so that's where the "gourmand" part started. For you metric people, I was about 157 cm tall and 42 kg at the start and 189 cm/71 Kg at the end and still hungry for years afterward.

And now I will ask the assistance of the German-speaking audience. I know that the word for "to eat" is "essen". I am told that the word for "gobble like a wild animal" is "fressen". Is that correct? In English, words meaning a similar action would be "bolt", "gobble", "wolf down", "inhale", and "gorge", but I think none of them have quite the flavor of the German term. Or am I missing some? I'll bet I am, and someone will set me straight. Spike? Lalatan? Anyone?

Comment

Sometimes I play games just to see if I can find the best/longest word that someone else has already gotten.

Then, usually, I just dump the game because the low scores mess up averages.

So, I'm working through the board, looking for a 16 letter word worth 30 points. Find -ally, then -ically, notice a morph- so try morphically half a dozen times, carefully typing in each letter. Nothing.

Time's running out.

Notice hyper-

hmmmm.

you need a drive to get hyperdrive, so could it be possible to have hypermorphically without morphically?

Apparently so.

Guess next time I'll look for hypermorph.

Comment

A gourmand may be a trencherman. I dislike the word gourmet, maybe because the word gourmet often shows up on frozen dinners. Good food doesn't have to be fancy. Good food is made with care/love.

Comment

And now I will ask the assistance of the German-speaking audience. I know that the word for "to eat" is "essen". I am told that the word for "gobble like a wild animal" is "fressen". Is that correct? In English, words meaning a similar action would be "bolt", "gobble", "wolf down", "inhale", and "gorge", but I think none of them have quite the flavor of the German term. Or am I missing some? I'll bet I am, and someone will set me straight. Spike? Lalatan? Anyone?
                                I'll leave an English equivalent to "fressen" to the German speakers, but lack of an equivalent word (as far as flavor & connotations go) goes both ways. (I've spent a lot of time in Germany over the years, but my German pretty much sucks.) Anyway, I used to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That made its way to German TV. I forget the title there, possibly just "Buffy". Anyway, I was told (by a German friend) that the closest equivalent to "slayer" had a meaning closer to "slaughterer." That doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X