No announcement yet.

Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After not teaching biology for twenty years, I played amphioxus and psilotum in the same week. I never thought I would ever write those words again.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyb View Post
      After not teaching biology for twenty years, I played amphioxus and psilotum in the same week. I never thought I would ever write those words again.
      Science teacher. Love it.

Always seems to be a crap shoot as to which scientific terms are accepted here.

fer eximple: just played a game that took deamination, but not amination. Typed it twice carefully but no go. Course, I could have made a mustake typing. do that a lot. But, if no mustake...weird exclusion/acceptance.
      Last edited by Naboka; 03-20-2022, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Been hoping for months to find this word. It's just so fascinating when you're obsessed with speed.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 10.54.56 AM.png

Comment

• iu.jpeg
          Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 11.24.28 AM.png
          Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 11.33.09 AM.png Out for a stroll now, but in a footrace, these birds would leave Usain Bolt in the dust.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
            iu.jpeg
            Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 11.24.28 AM.png
            Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 11.33.09 AM.png Out for a stroll now, but in a footrace, these birds would leave Usain Bolt in the dust.
            What a unique bird of prey. I think I'd be worried if I came across these on a trail.

Comment

Since birds were such a hit. Here's a couple more with interesting names for the game. Kereru and crake. In that order. Played both today.

iu.jpeg iu-1.jpeg
              Awww, more cute birds ...

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
              And, least we forget our cute mammal friends. The tarsier. Once you get past the eyes, you'll notice they have cute little keisters.

iu.jpeg Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.31.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.31.38 PM.png
              What a unique creature!

Comment

• Here's an interesting one. Strophanthins are poisionous glycosides that are used as a heart stimulant in small doses, but deadly in larger amounts.

Makes you wonder who was looking at this flower and thought, "you know, I think I've found a solution for that neighbor who's keeping me up at night."

Wonder if the game takes strophanthus, which is the genus.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 2.32.08 PM.png

iu.jpeg

Comment

Here's an interesting one. Strophanthins are poisionous glycosides that are used as a heart stimulant in small doses, but deadly in larger amounts.

Makes you wonder who was looking at this flower and thought, "you know, I think I've found a solution for that neighbor who's keeping me up at night."

Wonder if the game takes strophanthus, which is the genus.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 2.32.08 PM.png

iu.jpeg
                  Aha, now we know how deer get high ... just a little & they cruise the night away eating their grass & visiting .

Comment

• Gyte = 1. a. Delirious; senselessly extravagant or a child [n -S]

This was just a guess from a puzzle with very few choices. Never heard of this one.

Comment

• I tried QUOTATIOUS (22/10) and it worked. adjective: using or involving many quotations

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                        I tried QUOTATIOUS (22/10) and it worked. adjective: using or involving many quotations
                        Good find, I think I might be able to remember that one!

Comment

• So I was playing another section of Puzzle Barron, the Trivia games and I found a unique word that made me think of lalatan, as it would probably be a word he'd know.

WT Trivia question w lalatan type word.png

I suppose that's important when you're sleeping underwater as you wouldn't want to be eaten while you're dozing.

Comment

• That's interesting, 2 cute. I've heard of the phenomenon but not the name for it. If I had seen UNIHEMISPHERIC in a puzzle, I definitely would've tried it. I've only found HEMISPHEROIDALLY (30/16) so far.

This made me think of my favorite cartoon from the comic strip, B.C. The male character is a psychiatrist and a female client is lying on a couch. She: Did you know that a man only uses half his brain but a woman uses both halves? He: (in a thought bubble) I have a half a mind to charge her double.
                            (I realize this theory has been debunked but it was popular misconception back then. Apparently, men only use half their brain to listen to speech and women use both.)
                            Last edited by lalatan; 07-06-2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                              That's interesting, 2 cute. I've heard of the phenomenon but not the name for it. If I had seen UNIHEMISPHERIC in a puzzle, I definitely would've tried it. I've only found HEMISPHEROIDALLY (30/16) so far.

This made me think of my favorite cartoon from the comic strip, B.C. The male character is a psychiatrist and a female client is lying on a couch. She: Did you know that a man only uses half his brain but a woman uses both halves? He: (in a thought bubble) I have a half a mind to charge her double.
                              (I realize this theory has been debunked but it was popular misconception back then. Apparently, men only use half their brain to listen to speech and women use both.)
                              Interesting. I wonder why that is the case.

Comment

• Added "enantiomorph" to my long-word notebook just this weekend . Meaning basically mirror image but not identical.

As the universe turns, thought I'd found it on a board this afternoon. Just 3 days later.

Eureka!

Tried 3 times typing in "eanatiomorph" but it wouldn't take.

Dang!

Rechecked the notebook, realized I'd left off the second "n" and was mispelling it. Enantiomorph, not enatiomorph!

Sigh.

Looked at the board and sure enough, "enantiomorph" was there. Just don't know if it's accepted or not.

So, another interesting word to add to the Wordtwist community.

Trying to remember all dis stuff tests every aging neural synapse on the mental trail. You come to a stepping stone that used to be easy to reach but now seems 30 feet away. And half a mile deep.

Comment

Working...
                                X