No announcement yet.

Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2cute, that was a good find. Never saw or heard it before. I wonder if sasquatches quatch in the woods.

I'll share a unique word I found yesterday: CYCLOPENTANNULATIONS (36/19). I didn't have much hope it was valid. I thought maybe it had something to do w 5-year cycles. Not the case though: (organic chemistry) Modification by the addition of, or by cyclization to form, a cyclopentane ring.

Enjoy the games.
    Last edited by lalatan; 02-18-2022, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 10.48.17 AM.png
      Anyone who's ever posted on this forum can identify with this word.

Didn't come close to finding it, but was so impressed had to share.

The competition for longest words certainly is fierce. Glad I'm sitting in the bleachers for that one.

Comment

• Always a joy to get this word: lorikeets.

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 1.36.21 PM.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
          Always a joy to get this word: lorikeets.

They are soooo beautiful! Spent a week or so in Cairns in Australia and had so many of them right outside my bedroom window (back a long time ago) - so colorful! Also there was a tree on the main drag that 100's of cockatoos slept in each night. The racket they made before settling down was quite something.

Comment

• Lorikeets certainly are beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing the pic and story about the cockatoos. I imagine they make a lot of other stuff besides racket nesting there every day... I would not want to be the owner of the property where the tree is located unless some $$ could be made from selling bags of guano.

Edit: I wanted to include this story. I stayed in a motel while attending a wedding in a distant city. I was awakened in the early morning hours by what sounded like a jackhammer. Searching for the source of the sound, I saw a red-headed woodpecker drumming on a metal sign. I discovered they use hollow logs, metal signs etc. to attract mates. Noisy birds for a different reason.
            Last edited by lalatan; 03-17-2022, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              Lorikeets certainly are beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing the pic and story about the cockatoos. I imagine they make a lot of other stuff besides racket nesting there every day... I would not want to be the owner of the property where the tree is located unless some $$ could be made from selling bags of guano.

Edit: I wanted to include this story. I stayed in a motel while attending a wedding in a distant city. I was awakened in the early morning hours by what sounded like a jackhammer. Searching for the source of the sound, I saw a red-headed woodpecker drumming on a metal sign. I discovered they use hollow logs, metal signs etc. to attract mates. Noisy birds for a different reason.
              Well, if you ever get lonely, you could try banging on a metal sign and see what happens...

Comment

Lorikeets certainly are beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing the pic and story about the cockatoos. I imagine they make a lot of other stuff besides racket nesting there every day... I would not want to be the owner of the property where the tree is located unless some $$ could be made from selling bags of guano.

We had woodpeckers who chose our house for the same reason. The damage was considerable. We dissuaded them with hanging shiny stuff, so they went after the garage instead. More hanging shiny stuff, so they went after the neighbor. He shot them. Still feel guilty. I knew the neighbor was a rotter.

Comment

Every spring we have a returning male woodpecker here. We are aware of his loud and very noticable arrival because he sits on top of the lamp post and hammers on the hard plastic cover. In the beginning it took me some weeks to spot him, as he tends to fly away when you look up. To me it’s a sign spring has arrived

Comment

• Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.33.07 PM.png

Odd twist. Came across this word reading about herbs. Thought what a weird word; it'll never show up in Wordtwist.

Tried to think of an image that best satisfies the word, but thought I might get in trouble for my favorites.

So, here's some kale. All life is intertwined. Or not. Who knows. But, the forces of the universe gave me a word, gave me a game, and walah!

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.33.07 PM.png iu.jpeg

ps: Oddly, it wouldn't take lactagogue, which is the more common word.
                    Last edited by Naboka; 03-18-2022, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Wow, that is a weird word. Good find! I would've known demagogue, pedagogue and lactiferous but not that one. I found a link defining the suffix I thought was interesting: a combining form with the meaning “leader, bringer,” of that named by the initial element, occurring in loanwords from Greek (demagogue; pedagogue); used also in medical terms that denote substances inducing the expulsion or secretion of that named by the initial element (cholagogue; hemagogue).

Originally posted by mdyak View Post
                      Well, if you ever get lonely, you could try banging on a metal sign and see what happens...
                      Lol, I like your sense of humor.
                      Last edited by lalatan; 03-18-2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.33.07 PM.png

Odd twist. Came across this word reading about herbs. Thought what a weird word; it'll never show up in Wordtwist.

Tried to think of an image that best satisfies the word, but thought I might get in trouble for my favorites.

So, here's some kale. All life is intertwined. Or not. Who knows. But, the forces of the universe gave me a word, gave me a game, and walah!

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.33.07 PM.png iu.jpeg

ps: Oddly, it wouldn't take lactagogue, which is the more common word.
                        So I'm confused ... why did you include the kale? Does it promote the secretion of milk?

Comment

• 2cute,

yes. Leafy greens supposedly helps.

Comment

Always a joy to get this word: lorikeets.

Can I just say, awwwwwww, so cute! I love birds!

Originally posted by mdyak View Post

They are soooo beautiful! Spent a week or so in Cairns in Australia and had so many of them right outside my bedroom window (back a long time ago) - so colorful! Also there was a tree on the main drag that 100's of cockatoos slept in each night. The racket they made before settling down was quite something.
                            In the summer we have a mockingbird that sings cheerfully from about 10pm til 3 or 4am every morning. Sometimes I hear more than one ( a party).

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

We had woodpeckers who chose our house for the same reason. The damage was considerable. We dissuaded them with hanging shiny stuff, so they went after the garage instead. More hanging shiny stuff, so they went after the neighbor. He shot them. Still feel guilty. I knew the neighbor was a rotter.
                            I didn't know that. So to deter woodpeckers hang shiny stuff in the area where you don't want them to peck. Course they always choose the highest part of my roof & I'm not climbing up there & risk falling off. Yes, they seem to love vinyl siding.

Comment

• Since birds were such a hit. Here's a couple more with interesting names for the game. Kereru and crake. In that order. Played both today.

iu.jpeg iu-1.jpeg

Comment

• And, least we forget our cute mammal friends. The tarsier. Once you get past the eyes, you'll notice they have cute little keisters.

iu.jpeg Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.31.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.31.38 PM.png

Comment

Working...
                                X