frozen boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen boards

Anyone else experiencing boards freezing up when you begin play?

I've had a couple dozen over the last few weeks. Start to play, type in a single word, and can't enter it because the board is suddenly frozen. Happens about 2 seconds into the game. Clock is frozen, no response.

I've had no problems while playing on my PC and phone.

Comment

Yup, I have had the same problem. I always think it's me....whew.

Comment

Originally posted by currerbell View Post
        Yup, I have had the same problem. I always think it's me....whew.
        Currerbeill, thanks for answering. The message boards seem to have gone quiet lately.

Reassuring that someone else is experiencing this. Computers and I don't get along so I always think it's me, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Currerbeill, thanks for answering. The message boards seem to have gone quiet lately.

Reassuring that someone else is experiencing this. Computers and I don't get along so I always think it's me, too.
          So far so good. Course I haven't played in a week. Let me try & I'll let you know if it happens.

I think in the beginning of the year, lots of people, like myself, will say I'm going to get all these things accomplished that I hadn't last year. So I feel guilty if I come to play because heck, then I'm not accomplishing those goals. When people start accomplishing some of their goals, maybe they won't feel as guilty spending some time playing.

Comment

I don't have that, but I frequently have it freeze when the time runs out. Play the whole game then when it gets to Submitting, it just has a little wheel going round and round. Eventually if I leave it long enough it will go to an error message. Never does submit the results. (This is on Word Twist)

Comment

Okay, so I had the same problem. But I always run task manager in the background so I can call it up to see what's going on. On my computer, some things are using 100% of the disk. What those things are is not always the same, but usually it includes system, registry, and my browser deciding that NOW is a great time for an update. Yesterday, Microsoft decided that I really needed an update and informed me that it was my choice to install updates immediately (no, that was NOT my choice -- all are supposed to be done at 3AM), and when the update was finished my computer was unusable for several hours due to 100% disk usage. When that was over, I tried to play WordTwist, to find out that apparently the disk hammering was not over. (Submitting and a freeze.) At other odd times during all of this, task manager itself locked up, sometimes reporting 100% CPU usage, too. That was yesterday morning, Wednesday. Thursday at 3AM came yet another update and my computer was unusable for only an hour. Until I tried to play WordTwist, whereupon the disk hammering resumed and "submitting" just froze the screen and nothing worked. Such joy!

Comment

Anyone else experiencing boards freezing up when you begin play?

I've had a couple dozen over the last few weeks. Start to play, type in a single word, and can't enter it because the board is suddenly frozen. Happens about 2 seconds into the game. Clock is frozen, no response.
                No, I haven't experienced anything like that. I've experienced boards/timers freezing in the past in which I kept typing words and 30 seconds later the board/timer would unfreeze and all the words I typed would appear as found.

Comment

Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post

No, I haven't experienced anything like that. I've experienced boards/timers freezing in the past in which I kept typing words and 30 seconds later the board/timer would unfreeze and all the words I typed would appear as found.
                  Maybe I shoud keep typing.

But, if I remember, you had a situation where the game went beyond 2 minutes and you had to get admin to neutralize the score.

I'd hate to play a game where I got over 600 within a 2 mintue span and end up having to dump it because the timer kept running. That'd be sooooo frustrating.

Comment

I haven't had the problem lately, though I remember in the past having this same thing happen that jbud1980 described. It hasn't happened in a while though.

Could it be your browser? I use Chrome to play here and I use a iMac desktop computer.

Just a thought, could you set your updates to be @ another time other than 3am? On my computer a little message pops up, yes it wants to do the updates as soon as I begin using the computer which I find annoying too, but I always say no ask again tonight, but instead of waiting for it to ask me again, when I'm finished using the computer, I just reboot so the update can happen when I'm not using the computer.

Comment

Maybe I shoud keep typing.

But, if I remember, you had a situation where the game went beyond 2 minutes and you had to get admin to neutralize the score.

I'd hate to play a game where I got over 600 within a 2 mintue span and end up having to dump it because the timer kept running. That'd be sooooo frustrating.
                      Yes, that's correct. I ended up besting Bilbo's high scores, and I knew it was unfair, so I reached out to the admin to see if there was anything I could do to nullify my scores.

Comment

Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post

Yes, that's correct. I ended up besting Bilbo's high scores, and I knew it was unfair, so I reached out to the admin to see if there was anything I could do to nullify my scores.
                        Did admin nullify your score?

Bilbo's a tough one. Was on my nebulous New Year's wishlist of players I'd never beaten or seldom beat.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post
                          I haven't had the problem lately, though I remember in the past having this same thing happen that jbud1980 described. It hasn't happened in a while though.

Could it be your browser? I use Chrome to play here and I use a iMac desktop computer.

Just a thought, could you set your updates to be @ another time other than 3am? On my computer a little message pops up, yes it wants to do the updates as soon as I begin using the computer which I find annoying too, but I always say no ask again tonight, but instead of waiting for it to ask me again, when I'm finished using the computer, I just reboot so the update can happen when I'm not using the computer.
                          I can set my updates to happen at any time I set, and I figured I'd be off the computer at 3AM, and I wanted to give plenty of time for it to do the updates; I'm almost never on my computer before 10AM. But what seems to happen is that the actual loading of the updated files and altering the registry and all that kind of stuff happens at 3AM. Actually installing the updates (which you would think ought to happen at 3AM, because it makes SENSE to do it then) doesn't happen until you start your computer up the next morning. I guess I shouldn't find this surprising. I knew Bill Gates back in the day, and he cared as much for everyone else as Steve Jobs did -- zero. But there have got to be marketing types at Microsoft by now and Bill isn't running everything any more, and this is just so obvious.

So, here's the deal: I think there are several parts to this particular problem. The first part is the internet service. My grandson (soon to get his BS in Math from the University of Wisconsin) built me a new computer, a desktop. When that computer is not connected to the internet, I can type on it all day long and marvel at the big high-def screen. When it is connected to the internet, every once in a while the screen display drops out -- but not the sound, and if I'm scrolling at the time it still scrolls. That computer is using the local WIFI connection, which is perhaps two whole feet away. The other computer, the laptop with the update problems, uses an ethernet cable. And just once (as opposed to not ever in more than four years before) in the last two weeks, ITS screen has also gone black while on the internet -- for about a second or two, not four or five, and just once and not dozens of times.

The second thing is the browser. I checked online for things that could cause my particular problem, and "corrupted browser files" was mentioned. That supposedly can be fixed by loading the latest version of the browser and clearing the cache. That seems reasonable, except for one thing: I no longer remember AT ALL what my password is for this site. So I sent a message asking how I could change my password, hoping to get a response within the implied 48 hours. I didn't. Clearing the cache would mean I'd have to re-enter my password, which I do not know. At all. I'd like to play WordTwist on my new computer, but since I don't remember the password I can't.

The third part of the problem is the updates. Microsoft, for all their faults, does normally do the updates (part of them, anyway) at the time you set. Chrome, not so much. I'd go back to Firefox again, but I'd have to know the password. This password nonsense is like death by a thousand cuts or being pecked to death by ducks. Anyway, those Chrome updates happen when Chrome wants. And, to be honest, most of the time I barely know they have happened. But sometimes, they're really intrusive.

What I intend to do is to take this laptop computer and convert it to a Linux computer and play with it. I can go to dangerous websites and sneer at their viruses and refuse permission for their scripts. I can alter my own operating system, something I haven't done since CP/M days (alterations done in machine language, which blew all the other programmers away -- who writes printer drivers in machine language?) and if I mess something up I don't hurt anyone but myself. This computer will then run the Firefox browser to access this site, IF I KNOW THE PASSWORD.

Stephen, if you have read this far, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Please let me know how to change my password. Or, at the very least, to discover what my password is.

Comment

I have a problem. I need to change my password. I tried to send a message to admin, and was told I had used up my "quota" of private messages. There is a quota? What is it? Why? I have a new computer, a present from my grandson. I would like to play Wordtwist on it. I can't remember my current password. I want to set a new one of my own. This is all really straightforward stuff. I have been trying for several days to do this and I'm getting nowhere. QUOTA? Golly gee whillikers. If I am not allowed to send messages to Admin, maybe someone else IS.

Comment

Emailed you this morning bwt1213.... let me know if you have any problems resetting your password now.
                              If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Working...
                              X