surprised there are only 1350-ish 3 letter words here. (if 500 new words would be 37%)
How to find balance.
Apparently, not as easy and straightforward as we would suspect. So many nuanced and agonistic factors we on the outside don't consider.
To satisfy one dissatifies another.
The old "what about..." argument. To exclude some and include others. Especially with a constantly changing language. Each new generation challenges previous ones with new terminology.
I don't envy your task. More responsibility than I'd care to shoulder alone.
Perhaps, in the interests of reducing your workload, you could ask for volunteers to pre-audition the chorus line of hopefuls on your lists--
to see which can potentially dance and carry a tune.
(Speaking of agonist: skelata isn't accepted, nor does it appear in Lexic, though it is a perfectly acceptable plural for skeleton.)
Words to add to the dictionary
Collapse
X
-
For those of us who speak English, Australian, Irish, Kiwi and American, and a little French, German, and Latin, embracing everything certainly increases our scores! the "s" versus "z" thing is awesome! I've not found much use for my smattering of Mandarin though...
Leave a comment:
-
Maybe I'm overthinking it all, but at a quick glance there will likely be something on the order of 500 or so more 3 letter words (an increase of 37%), and 2500 more 4 letter words (an increase of 44%) added if we are adhere to the most liberal boundaries (i.e. everything that isn't an abbreviation, initialization, or proper name). And, by definition, almost all of these new terms would have to be scored as "ultra rare". I'm just concerned that this could potentially change the feel and experience of the game by flooding it with thousands of high-scoring short words that will puff up the total words/score available in each board by quite a bit.Why is a Welsh English word of less value than a Singaporean English word or an Australian English word or an American English word or an Indian English word? I say we should accept them rather than judge, for example, that UK English is correct but Indian English isn't.
Some examples of potential new words, just out of interest:
AAD: Tyneside dialect for "old"
AAM: Historical measure of liquids (Dutch and German)
ABE: Uncommon archaic British usage of "to be"
ARO: Shortened term for someone who is aromantic, coined in 2014
Leave a comment:
-
For what it's worth, which may not be much, my considered opinion is: Embrace them all.
Why is a Welsh English word of less value than a Singaporean English word or an Australian English word or an American English word or an Indian English word? I say we should accept them rather than judge, for example, that UK English is correct but Indian English isn't.
We take both "color" and "colour" right? And "mould" and "mold"? To me, that's good, and I hope that sort of inclusiveness will continue.Last edited by BoredInTheCar; 04-18-2022, 02:54 AM.Leave a comment:
-
we already have terms from Scottish, Australian, Kiwi , Irish, and American English, and English itself is an ever evolving language, some of the evolution coming from other languages (originally mainly Latin, French, Greek)...culinary terms are an example of this, as are medical terms, because we really shouldn't need to translate them into "english"...coq au vin always sounds so much more appetising...as for me, I could continue, but am about to indulge in a croque monsieur....Leave a comment:
-
Dictionary change is slated for near the end of the year. There are a few other projects lined up before that one, and I still have a bunch of decisions to make dictionary-wise, i.e.
- do we allow "internet-speak", texting language, etc.?
- what about borrowed words from other languages? where's the cut-off?
- what about English variants, like Scottish English? terms used specifically only in Wales, or Ireland, or New Zealand?
My inclination is to heavily edit the words we will be adding to the 3-4-5 letter word lists, as a huge influx of new short words will just radically change the game. So all words of that size I'll likely have to go through manually and decide on a case-by-case basis. 6-letters and longer I'm more inclined to just use a standard wordlist dump as they will come into usage far less often.Leave a comment:
-
For clarification, some of the words currently at https://www.lexic.us/ are not in the present WordTwist word base, but will be when the change comes?
Just tried "aretaic" and "etic"which don't work now, but are in the lexic database. Also tried reata with the same results.
Of course, poor typing may be the explanation for the words not working.Leave a comment:
-
There are more inclusive dictionaries than those used by many puzzles, including a standard like Merriam-Webster International. It is not wrong to expect words that are familiar to be allowed, when so many extremely unfamiliar words are allowed. I have, by the way, been playing for years, but only just registered. I also much prefer a five-minute game. So there. If you don't like it, shut up.Leave a comment:
-
I see that you are a new player, and welcome! I understand where you are coming from and when I first started playing (about 18 months ago) I secretly thought those who earned insanely high scores were somehow cheating. However, this was a new site to me, and I didn't want to say anything until I started to play for some time. I have learned/seen that obvious cheaters are swiftly dealt with by the Admin. There will always be somebody who will best you, so just play to have fun...
Leave a comment:
-
The 600 point rule applies to 5x5 boards, but the daemon that harvests the boards can let some linger for a while. I came across one by Estive, who scored 1320 points or some such high number. I played the same board and got only 520 or so -- not even half, and less than half as many words as well. But boards with scores over 600 are rare indeed. There are a whole lot of 500 point boards, but ones over 600 disappear within a few hours. Think about it for a while: RussDNails plays a lot of boards for a very high average, but almost the only boards I see are the ones in the 500-point range. Only rarely will I see a board over 600, yet nearly all boards Russ plays must be well over 600.
Think the 600 rule applies to 4x4 play. Maybe this is about 5x5 boards which I nothing about.
BoredInTheCar did mention their system involved 4 letter and 5 letter words. Seems to indicate 5x5 as the 4x4's would start with 3 letter words. Not to mention playing bunches of 800 point games is more in line with 5x5, which has an extra minute and words worth more points.
Also, I believe the boards can linger for a bit before being pulled. Not sure for how long. When I'm clicking through hundreds of games, I've seen the higher point boards alread played. Even increased the scores on a couple. So...?
Nor do I have a clue as to the 5x5 total point threshold.Leave a comment:
-
Understood. The subject gets old very quickly. (Can subjects suffer from progeria?)You're a much more patient person than me today, Naboka (which is a good thing). I'm upset w players who share their wonderful insights on cheating when it's highly unlikely they have read any of the previous accusations and rebuttals written on this forum. It's nauseating and I suspect there are others who think the same so I posted it.
There are, as you say, pages and pages of rebuttals and explanations.
Since I've also suggested cheating may be afoot recently, perhaps casting stones isn't morally appropriate. Though, the more I examine that person's games versus those of the best players here, the more I suspect something isn't according to Hoyle. I just can't explain how.
To believe no one would possibly cheat here is simply naive. People do what people do. And it's not always honest and appropriate.
I suppose all of us have our "realms of possiblity" threshold, beyond which something seems terribly wrong and unreal.
But...
it made me laugh.
The standard of measure just seemed so absurdly low.
Leave a comment:
-
You're a much more patient person than me today, Naboka (which is a good thing). I'm upset w players who share their wonderful insights on cheating when it's highly unlikely they have read any of the previous accusations and rebuttals written on this forum. It's nauseating and I suspect there are others who think the same so I posted it.Last edited by lalatan; 04-16-2022, 05:37 PM.Leave a comment:
-
Perhaps, more doable (and enlightening) would be to watch Megaword playing boards on YouTube. You know it's not a program because of the hesitations and errors. It's the speed of play that's so amazing.You and TOOMANYCHEATERS need to build your own Boggle website where you can determine what is possible and impossible and then enforce it. You could then hire your own IT person to implement your wandering desires like more time/game. I'm sure it would be a Boggle utopia for everyone like the Russian, Chinese and North Korean utopias are for their citizens.
But, he didn't get there by accident.
Maybe it's all the hard work, practice and study that makes certain accomplishments seem unreal.
There are probably a few dozen players here that could put up 500 points along with the best words. There are a few who could probably do it in less than or close to a single minute.
With enough practice, finding certain words and word combinations becomes automatic. You don't even think about it. Like driving a stick shift/working the brake pedal, you can perform the action without having to think about it.Leave a comment:
-
You and TOOMANYCHEATERS need to build your own Boggle website where you can determine what is possible and impossible and then enforce it. You could then hire your own IT person to implement your wandering desires like more time/game. I'm sure it would be a Boggle utopia for everyone like the Russian, Chinese and North Korean utopias are for their citizens.Last edited by lalatan; 04-16-2022, 01:06 PM.Leave a comment:
























Leave a comment: