Ads ruining game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ads ruining game

Hi, I just started using this site about a month ago and was really enjoying it. Unfortunately the changes that were just made are making it impossible. I have a Nokia1, ok it's an old slow phone but the game was great before. Now when I open a game I have to wait for the ad to load and close it before I can enter any words-- if I try it just bugs until after the as is closed. So that's ten to fifteen seconds i can't play. Pretty frustrating. I also don't like that the board is much bigger which makes it harder for me to look at it overall. Basically, this site is now just annoying and not fun, which probably good for me as I won't waste as much time on it. Bye.

Hi Rig -

Thanks for posting - I definitely don't want the ads to impact game play. But the game board should also not be any bigger than it was before - could you possibly post (or email to puzzlebaron@gmail.com) a screenshot of what the game looks like on your device?
    If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Ads making my game swipe so slow that I'm starting to think, "Why bother"

Comment

I've turned ads off for the mobile game page for now until I can get a better handle for what exactly is causing the slow down. Please post your phone model/version here if you've experienced lag in mobile play as it may help in tracking down the cause. Thank you!
        If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

The ads are causing my computer to slow down greatly, too. It is a HUGE noticeable change since they began, slowing things down to a crawl on my entire computer until I close out the PuzzleBaron software completely (sometimes even requiring a reboot to reset things to proper speed again).

Comment

There were two days last week where I had ads pop up that took over my whole computer window right in the middle of games. Wish I'd kept up with when I saw them - will screenshot and log date/time that if it happens again.

Comment

Before I went to the premium membership, my computer would reload games because the app was "using too much memory."

Too much memory?

Sometimes, the whole thing would just freeze up from too much memory being used.

I have an Imac retina 5K with almost 2 TB of memory still available and with 32 g of RAM. This computer can run very, very complex Photshop and Illustrator tasks with a yawn.

Too much memory being used to support what's happening on Wordtwist?

Still boggles me mind.

Comment

I use adblocker and it works fine. What is bugging me is the words missing from the dictionary. Dele is missing and many others. It's very inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                  Before I went to the premium membership, my computer would reload games because the app was "using too much memory."

Too much memory?

Sometimes, the whole thing would just freeze up from too much memory being used.

I have an Imac retina 5K with almost 2 TB of memory still available and with 32 g of RAM. This computer can run very, very complex Photshop and Illustrator tasks with a yawn.

Too much memory being used to support what's happening on Wordtwist?

Still boggles me mind.
                  Really, me too. Us imac users are rare especially for the 5k 27" screen size models.

My problems w/the ads are now they pop up @ the bottom on the screen & have become annoying. I took a couple screen shots & will share w/Steven.

I too have had my screen freeze in the middle of the game & this didn't happen before the ads started appearing @ the bottom of the screen. While I didn't mind the ones on the right, in fact @ times I enjoyed looking @ them, but the ones @ the bottom are definitely irritating.

Comment

Try using AdBlock Plus

Comment

Maybe I'm old-fashioned (though there are a LOT of boomers playing on here), but why would I, you, or anyone use this site without paying for it? $5/month is pretty inexpensive to get rid of all the ads AND also express your gratitude to Stephen for providing us all with so much entertainment. Somebody has to pay for it, so I'm happy to contribute my very modest little share. As they say, "the cost of one Starbucks a month."

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Really, me too. Us imac users are rare especially for the 5k 27" screen size models.

My problems w/the ads are now they pop up @ the bottom on the screen & have become annoying. I took a couple screen shots & will share w/Steven.

I too have had my screen freeze in the middle of the game & this didn't happen before the ads started appearing @ the bottom of the screen. While I didn't mind the ones on the right, in fact @ times I enjoyed looking @ them, but the ones @ the bottom are definitely irritating.
                        Me too.

I actually got a kick out of the ads. So many were weirdly entertaining. And, even though I'd never trust the clothing companies, some of the fashions were interesting.

So, to answer why would someone not pay for getting rid of the ads, up until recently the ads were part of the fun. Why pay to get rid of part of the fun?

It certainly isn't the $40 a year. We often pay close to that or more as a tip when going out to dinner. A gym membership is more than that a month, and I spend more time here than at the gym.

The straw that broke my oont's back was when the screens froze mid game. I posted two screen grabs where about 30 seconds remained and the total words was at 497. That! was very, very, very irritating. A deal breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Me too.

I actually got a kick out of the ads. So many were weirdly entertaining. And, even though I'd never trust the clothing companies, some of the fashions were interesting.

So, to answer why would someone not pay for getting rid of the ads, up until recently the ads were part of the fun. Why pay to get rid of part of the fun?

It certainly isn't the $40 a year. We often pay close to that or more as a tip when going out to dinner. A gym membership is more than that a month, and I spend more time here than at the gym.

The straw that broke my oont's back was when the screens froze mid game. I posted two screen grabs where about 30 seconds remained and the total words was at 497. That! was very, very, very irritating. A deal breaker.
                          LOL The fashion ads ... well I know if you click on the ads the site gets more $ so I explored one of the fashion retailers. I like casual long cotton dresses & they had a lot. So many styles & unique designs, I actually considered purchasing ... yet I won't, unless the site has a real physical brick & mortar address. So after a bit of investigating I found it ... HONG KONG! Nope, not purchasing those dresses. Ohhh, and they were so pretty too. Oh well. I knew there had to be a catch.

Yes, that's right. I was premium for 3 months & it was nice, but I missed the ads (believe it or not) as like you said, its part of the fun. Yet, I'm speaking of those on the right in the boxes, not the annoying one that pops up @ the bottom of the screen.

Comment

Nice to see like-minded folks who get a kick out of the ads. I find a lot of them hilarious; it's also fun to see how they'll trend in certain directions, or use algorithms to target you. I get a fair number that are clearly targeted to older folks. Wonder why that is....

2cute, you were smart to do your research on the fashion ads. A lot of those companies are highly unreliable.

Comment

I can tell what my wife is looking at (she's the internet shopper) by the ads that come my way. But every once in a while there is an ad for a performance car. When I was 30 or less, I could at least tell myself I had the skill and reflexes to handle a car that could go 0 to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds. But I am 75 and I have trouble typing and my hands shake so badly that I can't write any more. I would LOVE to drive a supercar. But I know I can't. The ads spur only regret. Truly, my car now has 140 hp and it's enough. Maybe if I wanted a thrill I could manage 200 hp. But I don't have the urge for that kind of thing any more. A targeted ad campaign would realize that and tell me how good a fully-electric vehicle would be for me, and it would be. But it would cost more money than I have, even if I traded everything in. Perhaps in twenty years or so, the advertisers would know all that stuff and would be telling me how I could afford that electric vehicle and would direct me to sites where I could unload my Ford Focus with a manual transmission. I really like the car, and I'm using only about half of the things it can do because I'm about 40 years behind on all the new stuff in it. Alas, in 20 years I would be 95 if I were still alive and rational. I think the odds of me driving then are very close to zero.

Comment

Working...
                              X