Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun stuff -- word related or not, ramblings, junk, whatever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crazykate View Post
    This doesn't qualify as "fun" in any other sense but being sarcastic, but I'm currently sitting in the "relaxing room" of a spa, waiting for my daughter's toe to stop bleeding. She managed to cut it open on the edge of a floor tile and the medic who helped disinfect it said it's too small to do anything about it, but it's too deep and bleeding too much for the spray-on bandaid to do anything. So she needs to elevate her feet for the next couple of hours and wait for it to stop. This happened about 10 minutes after we arrived and paid for half the day. What fun.
    Ouch!

Comment

• Naboka - you're post made me smile! :O) For a second, I thought you said catapult instead of cantaloupe! Also, I had what looked suspicuously like volunteer raspberry plant in the corner of our house's lot, but your post about your volunteer plant made me realize that I never checked it after that. Sadge (apparently a word-meme that our youngsters use).

Comment

• I had a busy day yesterday, and that's my excuse. But the 13th was my birthday, and now (barely) it's the 14th. So it's my un-birthday. It's also the first day I am 77. I never thought I'd live this long. Really, I didn't. And when I was in my 20s and saw an obituary for someone aged 77, I'd have thought they lived a good long life. And so I have. But at least I didn't make the deal Faust did, so I get to keep living -- for however long that might be.

Comment

• Happy Birthday! Hope you have many, many more.

People are living longer and longer on the average. When my wife's great grandfather died at 68 he was the oldest resident of Bristol Rhode Island. Just two years ago my aunts mother passed away at 113. She was a bit hard of hearing, but she still was pretty sharp.

Comment

• Rather late in the day, but I was reading what were supposedly the funniest April Fool's Day pranks ever played. And they missed my favorite. It was from the BBC, who (on the first of April, quite a while ago) announced that there had been a severe late season frost in Italy, which severely damaged the spaghetti trees and their crop. So it was going to be a lean year for spaghetti this year. And a whole lot of people fell for it, too. Spaghetti trees! The BBC even produced (doctored) pictures to support the gag. To me, that was probably the funniest April Fool's gag ever. Do any of you have one?

Comment

• You see the Subway "Yard long" sandwich commercial? I seriously thought it was a new item

Comment

• I didn't see it. I'll have to see if I can find it on line. Sounds like a real hoot!

Comment

• Anyone have fun plans for the eclipse on Monday? My husband and I are driving to Dallas this weekend for it. Frustratingly, the forecast is for clouds Hopefully it will still be worth the trip!

Comment

• My daughter and her boyfriend are driving to southern IL for it, hoping for decent weather. It will be about 300 - 400 miles, so they go with my best wishes.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                      You see the Subway "Yard long" sandwich commercial? I seriously thought it was a new item
                      I found it, I think. But it was just an ad, labeled "April Fool's". I also found a story from Singapore, where someone said that if Subway made a yard-long sandwich, he'd eat it all by himself. So Subway told him "challenge accepted" and posted a picture of the guy with the yard-long. Yes, it was clearly impossible for the guy to eat; it was extra-wide as well as being three feet long. I'd post the link, but I know that would not fly.

Comment

• Sorry, I think the word “commercial” was misleading now that I reread my post. I eat a lot of Subway as it’s pretty much all my old digestive system can tolerate these days. I participate in their rewards program and get a daily email from Subway every day. Usually just automatically delete it but on April Fools day the subject line said something to the effect “Hey Russell, now there’s more of your favorites to love.” I opened the email and it said “now available, all of your foot long favorites available as a yard long sub.” Had a generic pic of a sub and said to keep scrolling. As you scrolled down, the sandwich just kept going and going. Once you got to the bottom, it said April Fools and thanks for participating in our rewards program. It had a link to get $2 off my next order so that was nice. The ad was very clever and surprisingly believable. Or maybe I’m just that gullible

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

• Just a random thought and realization. It appears that if I want to "keep up with the Joneses" in the average score competition, I need to score at least over 1,100 points in every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                            My daughter and her boyfriend are driving to southern IL for it, hoping for decent weather. It will be about 300 - 400 miles, so they go with my best wishes.
                            I'm making a camera obscura and my wife and I are hiking to the top of a near by ridge. Here in western Connecticut we are supposed to get 92%-93% totality

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyb View Post

I'm making a camera obscura and my wife and I are hiking to the top of a near by ridge. Here in western Connecticut we are supposed to get 92%-93% totality
                              The last time I was in the path of an eclipse, it was during the summer. All the leaves in the trees, dancing in the breeze, made intermittent camera obscurae and the ground was shadowed with thousands of brilliant little crescents. No, I will never forget that. I think that was either the summer of 62 or 63, in the Detroit area. We were not in the path of totality, but I think we were at least 70% and maybe as much as 90%.

Comment

• What do people use? iPad iPhone or computer?

Comment

Working...
                                X