Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun stuff -- word related or not, ramblings, junk, whatever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Mr. & Mrs. bwt1213!! And enjoy that celebratory dinner!

Comment

So I finished a game & I noticed @ the top of the screen an interesting ad ...

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 9.32.09 PM.png

Now from the looks of it its just one of those floats that usually kids use to play in the pool, then I noticed the price ... $73.95 (aka $74) Wow! For a pool float! That must be one fancy type of material to pay that much for something you could purchase for certainly less than $30.

Comment

But it's magical!

Comment

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
          But it's magical!
          Maybe it actually floats, not just in water!

Comment

Maybe. It'll only cost us $73.95 to find out.

Comment

so....of course I had to google it...and the advertisement starts with, "WHO HASN'T THOUGHT ABOUT BEING A MERMAID?" Yep, that age old question....

(Let your imagination run wild with our Magical Mermaid Ring Float. Whether you're relaxing or pretending to be the iconic deep-sea creature, this ring will keep you afloat with its fluffy bean filling).

Comment

The anniversary celebrations went really well. My wife was impressed: "How often do you have the owner of the restaurant call you to ask you what you would like for dinner?" and it was even more than that, because said owner was also the head chef. Did she deserve that? Certainly, and more. Was the food good? No. Beyond that. Every vegetable (young potatoes, parsnips, carrots) we encountered was locally grown, selected that day from local farmers or from the chef herself. The lettuce and tomatoes in the salad were picked hours ago. Bruschetta on flatbread with cherry tomatoes and other fresh vegetables and grated goat cheese (this is Wisconsin, where cheese should have been invented) that was exposed to heat barely enough to melt the cheese? Mission accomplished. And that was just the appetizer for the Mahi-Mahi tuna to follow.

We raised a cheer in celebration of the date, even if it was slightly in advance of the calendar. When you see this message, it will be tagged with the very date of the event. I want you all to know that we appreciated every one of your well-wishes and we are happy to have lived long enough to celebrate wedding anniversary #56.

Comment

Originally posted by floppers View Post
                  Chipmunks! Like Chip'n Dale! do they have rabies like squirrels?
                  Maybe it's a really well fed squirrel...as in, what are you putting in your feeders?! LOL Great pic tho.

Comment

First thing: everyone is all right.

Okay. So our golden retriever (Copper) was visiting the groomer who lives six houses down the block. Copper is having surgery to remove a cancerous tumor on a toe on his right rear leg tomorrow morning. We wanted him nice and clean for that, so he was getting a nice bath (I can't do those any more). I walked him down to the groomers with no problem. When I walked him back, I got to the edge of my driveway and I saw a black blur. It was the dog from the renters next door, launching a full-out attack on Copper. Copper is nearly fifteen years old and his hind legs don't work too well. I was able to blunt the attack and then grab the black dog (about Copper's size but far younger -- about sixty pounds) by the collar and mostly hold the two apart. I was screaming as loud as I could for help because I have emphysema and I can't maintain physical exertion for long. Two Hispanic gentlemen stopped their car in the middle of the street and rendered assistance, holding the black dog away. The other asked me if I was okay, and I tried to tell him "no", because I was having a lot of trouble breathing. The neighbors from across the street ran out of their house barefoot and brought me a chair to sit in and aid for Copper. Multiple people (including my wife, who watched the whole thing with horror) called the police and someone called an ambulance. The renter appeared and collected the dog. Then the scheduled tow truck arrived for my wife's car, which would not start because of a DEAD battery.

The renters would not answer the door when the police called on them. Someone nearby had a home security system that captured the whole thing and downloaded the event to the police department. Charges are pending; this is not the first time or even the second that their dogs have gotten out and terrorized the neighborhood. My vitals stabilized after fifteen minutes or so (bp was 220/110 to start, and I'll bet by how I felt that O2 sats were in the low 70s before I got aid).

Tonight, just now, I let Copper out into our fenced backyard for his regular evening visit. When he came back, his tumor (mast cell but highly vascularized) was bleeding copiously. He is now bandaged and settled down, and I hope we can survive until tomorrow morning's surgery.

The key words are: "Everyone is all right". May all your days end with the same four words.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

Okay. So our golden retriever (Copper) was visiting the groomer who lives six houses down the block. Copper is having surgery to remove a cancerous tumor on a toe on his right rear leg tomorrow morning. We wanted him nice and clean for that, so he was getting a nice bath (I can't do those any more). I walked him down to the groomers with no problem. When I walked him back, I got to the edge of my driveway and I saw a black blur. It was the dog from the renters next door, launching a full-out attack on Copper. Copper is nearly fifteen years old and his hind legs don't work too well. I was able to blunt the attack and then grab the black dog (about Copper's size but far younger -- about sixty pounds) by the collar and mostly hold the two apart. I was screaming as loud as I could for help because I have emphysema and I can't maintain physical exertion for long. Two Hispanic gentlemen stopped their car in the middle of the street and rendered assistance, holding the black dog away. The other asked me if I was okay, and I tried to tell him "no", because I was having a lot of trouble breathing. The neighbors from across the street ran out of their house barefoot and brought me a chair to sit in and aid for Copper. Multiple people (including my wife, who watched the whole thing with horror) called the police and someone called an ambulance. The renter appeared and collected the dog. Then the scheduled tow truck arrived for my wife's car, which would not start because of a DEAD battery.

The renters would not answer the door when the police called on them. Someone nearby had a home security system that captured the whole thing and downloaded the event to the police department. Charges are pending; this is not the first time or even the second that their dogs have gotten out and terrorized the neighborhood. My vitals stabilized after fifteen minutes or so (bp was 220/110 to start, and I'll bet by how I felt that O2 sats were in the low 70s before I got aid).

Tonight, just now, I let Copper out into our fenced backyard for his regular evening visit. When he came back, his tumor (mast cell but highly vascularized) was bleeding copiously. He is now bandaged and settled down, and I hope we can survive until tomorrow morning's surgery.

The key words are: "Everyone is all right". May all your days end with the same four words.
                      You're a braver man than I Gunga Din.

Watched a guy try to break up a dog fight and get his arm shredded by a dobie.

Without a weapon...

Hope Cooper gets better. We were brought up with the farm mentality that pets were expendable. Today, they're important parts of the family. Sometimes the most loved member.

BP 220/110! Yuuyjeuejee=kkkes! That certainly can't feel pleasant.

As an aside: seems that scoring exactly 600 doesn't get a board recycled. Noticed that several times over the last few months. But, had no way to date the games. However, don't think "nobody" has played in months, so this board has to be several months old.

45-14-13-13-4-1 copy.png

The cutoff must be 601 or something.

Comment

220/11o was just one part that didn't feel good. But as far as Copper was concerned, all he got was a shallow 1/4" graze on the inside of his left ear. The other dog didn't bite me at all, which I thought was borderline amazing. When I stepped in, I said "you're not getting my dog if I have to fight you with my bare hands". Yeah, that could have gone very far south. But I couldn't just stand there and let my helpless old dog be killed in front of me. Copper had his surgery, the vet checked him over and that was the only wound she found, too, and we'll see how much better he gets how soon. There has been no one at the renter's property since the incident. No cars, no visitors, nothing. And, needless to say, no dogs. Wisconsin has a strict leash law. Dogs can be unleashed in a properly fenced area, and presumably when being used for hunting, but in a residential area must otherwise be leashed at all times. The fines can be steep.

I had always thought that scores had to exceed 600 to recycle, just as the number of games had to exceed 50 for your scores to count, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

Its a shame you don't have the kind of groomer that travels around in a mobile van & COMES TO YOU to give you dog his spa treatment (in the van in front of your home).

Comment

One of the disadvantages of playing out of your head more than off the board is mislinking letter sequences that don't actually exist on the board.

As an example, I was trying to get hypothermia (s). All the letters were there, but...

After trying it a few times and returning to the board, I saw my mistake--and the word I should have been typing

but it was too late.

Anyone see the long word? Probably a 13 letter 24 point word.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.13.19 AM.png

Head slap!

Comment

It looks like you were close. I'm assuming it's HYPERTHERMIAS.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
                                It looks like you were close. I'm assuming it's HYPERTHERMIAS.
                                Yep.

Too bad it ain't horseshoes.

Comment

Working...
                                X