utterly useless words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utterly useless words

Every game features a parade of useless words, out-of-tune bands and well-intended-but-poorly-rendered floats.

We sit in our chairs, watching all this pass by. Inured to the remarkable become unremarkable. Words that mean nothing to anyone near us, so common.

Then one appears.

We sit up. Noticing.

The naked mayor doing a one-fingered handstand atop the tuba player.

Holy ...!!!

Everyone becomes excited, trying to make sense of the unexpected.

Only to discover that five parades later, one naked mayor has lost its impact.

Just played a game that contained...

unperemptoriness...

okay...

???

Huh?

Think I ran across unutterablenesses the other day. Just how much unutterablenesses does one need to rate plurality? If it's unutterable once, it's probably going to either continue to be unutterable--or become utterable with practise. Are there researched degrees of unutterableness? And if so, why isn't it taught in college?

Because it's unutterable?

How unutterably useless must a word be to... ?????

But...

what a hoot!

Sooooo entertaining.

Reminds me of a line in Elbow's Sad Captains : "and if it's so we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time." Meaning how wonderful (perfect) every moment can be, even against a backdrop of absurdity.

Hold on. I think I see our entire Congress cartwheeling pantiless in a blizzard. Someone must have convinced them to not only dress like the Emperor, but demonstrate their naked courage in the face of adversity.

A word! A word! My kingdom for a word!

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 8.32.42 AM.png

Headshake. Laugh.

ps: please feel free to post your naked mayors and cartwheeling senators here. Least we forget how odd they are.

Speaking of which, found this this morning:
    28 PTS UNUTTERABLENESS.jpg
    I've been finding such words for years in 5x5 and, yes, they are very entertaining at times. Many is the time I lol'ed after a word was accepted. I had a quick look in my words found folder just now. A few of my faves:
    PROBABILISTICALLY, only worth 20 pts. I think the rarity should be more than "wide."
    URANOGRAPHIST
    COMMONSENSIBLE
    OVERFLUENTNESSES I was unaware this could be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
      Speaking of which, found this this morning:
      28 PTS UNUTTERABLENESS.jpg
      I've been finding such words for years in 5x5 and, yes, they are very entertaining at times. Many is the time I lol'ed after a word was accepted. I had a quick look in my words found folder just now. A few of my faves:
      PROBABILISTICALLY, only worth 20 pts. I think the rarity should be more than "wide."
      URANOGRAPHIST
      COMMONSENSIBLE
      OVERFLUENTNESSES I was unaware this could be a problem.
      Uranographist I can see, as uranography isn't that rare.

Overfluentnesses? Even overfluent. Huh?

Tried to look it up. Nothing.

If you can't find a definition for the base... hmm.

Overflowing? Maybe.

Can't imagine it having anything to do with fluency. Seems the goal is to gain that effortless flow necessary in public speaking, sports, reading, art, singing, factory production--just about anything. Including Wordtwist.

Though people can be labeled oversophisticated--which is more a slam on pretense than sophisticaiton, as part of sophistication is knowing how to read an audience. In which case, being oversophisticated becomes an oxymoron because the individual lacks knowledge/understanding rather than having it in excess.

Even farmers are constantly trying to increase their sophistication relative to farming.

Still...

entertaining...

and makes you think.

Sometimes, the mystery is what sticks us. Just what in the world did that lyric mean?

The endless search for meaning.

"Meaning" addicts.

Comment

What did that lyric mean? There's a whole thing for misheard lyrics -- you can look it up online. I have two that got me, and one of them still does. The Rascals had a song: "Groovin' ". I heard one lyric as "You and me and Leslie" and always wondered if it was a threesome or if their child was named Leslie. Turns out it was "You and me, endlessly". The other one was by Johnny Rivers: "Secret Agent Man". I misheard that as "Secret Asian Man". But that first one is the one that still gets me. I still hear "Leslie". And I think they must have had a child named Leslie. I just can't make myself hear "endlessly".

Comment

Actually I practiced unutterableness all the time when I spent time with my relatives. No subject was safe.

Comment

Reminds me of a good friend who could say almost nothing at the dinner table as her sister would find fault with it. No support from the parents, either.

Comment

I just saw this- congrats on finding it Lalatan but OMG really- who thinks up these twilight zone words? SUPERACUTENESSES

Comment

Thanks jeepiegirl. Something tells me you won't like this word I just found.

I am a lifelong word nerd so I enjoy finding such twilight zone words. Some are superinteresting.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by lalatan; 01-24-2023, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I am a lifelong word nerd so I enjoy finding such twilight zone words. Some are superinteresting.
                  Yeah, that one actually makes me cringe a bit. lol

Comment

Originally posted by cosmicsweety View Post

Yeah, that one actually makes me cringe a bit. lol
                    Haha, me too, actually. But I'll take the pts and records anytime.

Comment

One of those gambled words that paid off.

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 11.37.52 AM.png

Looked up the definition...

frowned

scratched the balding spot

and figured it belonged in the baskets of bwt1213 and Spike1007

who would recognize and enjoy it with a cup of tea.

Otherwise: into another notebook of letter patterns without meaning,

but worth lots of points.

Comment

During the what-word-did-lalatan-find game, a relevant word for here popped up.

So much criticism over which word is good and bad.

Let's be more understanding.

Words have feelings too.

Let's allow a word to be itself.

Enough of the overcriticalnesses.

(though that wouldn't work on 4x4)

So...

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 6.14.40 PM.png

Comment

That's a single word? I think admin just put it in there to see if we're paying attention.

Congrats on finding it & the points Lalatan!

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

During the what-word-did-lalatan-find game, a relevant word for here popped up.

So much criticism over which word is good and bad.

Let's be more understanding.

Words have feelings too.

Let's allow a word to be itself.

Enough of the overcriticalnesses.

(though that wouldn't work on 4x4)

So...

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 6.14.40 PM.png
                            Lol, you are such a hoot.

I know you have strict personal standards when it comes to gameplay. But, if you can't find 1 of my words and it's driving you crazy, just send me a screenshot of it in a PM and I'll decode it. For you I don't mind.

I thought I possibly found a candidate for this thread just now: AROMATICITIES (19/13). I thought, "Is this word really necessary?" However, it had lexic.us link: 1. Noun. (organic chemistry) The property of organic compounds which have at least one conjugated ring of alternate single bond and double bonds, and exhibit extreme stability. Go figure, the chemists ambushed me on that one.
                            Last edited by lalatan; 01-26-2023, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Lol, you are such a hoot.

I know you have strict personal standards when it comes to gameplay. But, if you can't find 1 of my words and it's driving you crazy, just send me a screenshot of it in a PM and I'll decode it. For you I don't mind.

I thought I possibly found a candidate for this thread just now: AROMATICITIES (19/13). I thought, "Is this word really necessary?" However, it had lexic.us link: 1. Noun. (organic chemistry) The property of organic compounds which have at least one conjugated ring of alternate single bond and double bonds, and exhibit extreme stability. Go figure, the chemists ambushed me on that one.
                              Good find.

Yeah, using "aromatic" this way was just laziness since it had nothing to do with aromas and lay in new discoveries.

You'd think a new discovery would warrant digging through latin and greek texts to find an appropriate word.

Something fancy.

Something important.

Like chromosomes: chroma=color, soma=body. So, you get a fancy word for colored bodies that says nothing but which would torment students for generations--and make you annoying at parties.

Hoity toity in so many ways.

Appreciate the offer of revelation. And the exception. Almost tempting as I get lazier and lazier.

But it's so much fun to leap from the tub and scream "eureka!"

Especially when the wife has friends over.

She just shakes her head and cautions her guest to ignore the crazed naked man running drenched through the dining room.

They understand

by now.

Ps: fortunately (or unfortunately,) my attention span has become so short that nothing drives me crazy for more than a frew minutes anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X