multiple ways to solve a puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple ways to solve a puzzle

There are puzzles that have multiple solutions and it is marking one of them wrong.

I haven't seen that at all, and I've done a lot of puzzles of different sizes.

Did you happen to get a screenshot of the correct answer that was marked incorrect? If so, it would probably help the administrator figure out how a puzzle with multiple solutions was ever allowed.

Also, if you really want to help, each puzzle has a unique ID. Once you get to the comments on a completed puzzle, if you open up the page source and search for "qid", you'll find the unique identifier for that puzzle. That would probably be the best way to tell the administrator which one had multiple solutions.
    Last edited by uigrad; 05-12-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

When playing the "laser grid" puzzles, I often can find a multiple solution, but the system accepts any solution that solves the puzzle. What puzzle type were you playing when this occurred? Most puzzle types can only have 1 solution (like logic puzzles, jigsaws, cryptograms, etc...) but some could potentially have more than one (lasers, campfires, sudoku, etc...)

Comment

campsites

Comment

They're completely right. I thought it was just part of the puzzle, but I've gotten numerous correct solutions with all the numbers lit up but the game would keep going.

Yeah, it's campsites. And I'll screenshot it next time it happens.

Comment

Here's an example.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

And another one.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Firetruck421 View Post
                Here's an example.
                Your solution is definitely wrong. That's why it is not accepted. The circled trees don't have a tent touching them orthogonally:

akZgQBM.png
                If you read the How to play section, it says:

Each tent must be placed orthogonally adjacent (left, right, above or below) to a tree
                Your second example has at least 3 trees without a tent (the top and bottom ones in column 3, and one tree in the middle of column 5).

EDIT: now that I looked a bit more carefully at that rule, it is vague. It neglects to tell you that each tree needs its own tent. The description of the puzzle at this page is better. The admin should probably edit the how to play section. If you don't want to follow the link, this is what it says:
                • The tents and trees can be matched up in such a way that each tent is directly adjacent (horizontally or vertically, but not diagonally) to its own tree. However, a tent may be adjacent to other trees as well as its own.
                Last edited by uigrad; 12-06-2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Appreciate both the explanation, and the edit.

Cool!

Comment

Hi! I've had the same problem a few times.
                    For instance, I cannot understand why this solution was not accepted. The circled squares were blank, and this combination did not work, but the other way around solved the puzzle. Am I missing something here?
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Allessansia,

In your puzzle, the "middle-most" area is incorrect, because the tree to the left of your empty circle would have no tent specifically associated with it, since the tent to the left of that tree must be associated with the tree below it (or that tree would have no tent). In the "right-hand" area, the tree above your empty circle has two tents with it (one above and the one below it) and the one below the empty circle has no tent specifically associated only with it (if you trace around all the trees and tents near it, you'll find the tent directly below that tree is actually associated with the tree below it).

Comment

Originally posted by k4knee View Post
                        Allessansia,

In your puzzle, the "middle-most" area is incorrect, because the tree to the left of your empty circle would have no tent specifically associated with it, since the tent to the left of that tree must be associated with the tree below it (or that tree would have no tent). In the "right-hand" area, the tree above your empty circle has two tents with it (one above and the one below it) and the one below the empty circle has no tent specifically associated only with it (if you trace around all the trees and tents near it, you'll find the tent directly below that tree is actually associated with the tree below it).
                        How have I even been playing without ever acknowledging this rule? Thank you very much, everything makes much more sense now.

Comment

good job for noticing that

Comment

OhmyGAWD I’ve never known this rule and you’ve leveled me up in this game. This is critical information that I’ve never understood before. THANK YOU forum people!!! I can even do the larger puzzles now that were hopeless before!

so to be clear, the rule seems to be something like, the number of campsites and trees are equal.
                            Each tree, (while it can be orthogonally adjacent to multiple tents), each tree will also correlate with exactly one (and only one) tent.

Comment

Interesting & factual

Comment

Working...
                              X