• Show
Clear All

• Toeprint
    replied
    "The simple act of paying attention can take you a long way."
    — Keanu Reeves

bansaisequoia
    April 25, 2011, 6:16 am
    You were saying what now, Ted Theodore Logan?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Is life worth living? Yes, so long as there is wrong to right."
    — Alfred Austin

bansaisequoia
    August 18, 2010, 8:05 pm
    I'd rather live in a world where there is no wrong to be righted.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "The consequences of an act affect the probability of its occurring again. "
    — B. F. Skinner

bansaisequoia
    August 6, 2012, 8:27 pm
    Okay, so if Goethe looks like Q from Star Trek TNG, then BF Skinner looks like Dwight Schrute from The Office.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I think the world is run by 'C' students."
    — Al McGuire

bansaisequoia
    December 6, 2011, 2:01 pm
    No wonder everything's so screwed up!

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "A man who works beyond the surface of things,though he may be wrong himself, yet he clears the way for others and may make even his errors subservient to the cause of truth."
    — Edmund Burke

MatthewReynolds
    October 15, 2015, 7:50 am
    47 seconds. But honestly I don't know how. It just happened. And who, pray tell, is bansaisequoia? He or she seems to be inhuman. 12 seconds? Seriously?
    montyb
    December 23, 2015, 3:50 am
    Bansai is a immensely talented man and one of his talents is being an incredibly fast typist.
    mtvoyager
    March 13, 2019, 6:41 pm
    Yeah, Montyb, I bet he uses two hands. I should try that. 106
    Synonymous
    July 12, 2020, 6:11 pm
    The legend of Bansaisequoia lives on: (link)

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads."
    — Henry David Thoreau

bansaisequoia
    November 23, 2011, 8:24 pm
    That went under my feet. Or is it the other way around?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Let's have faith that right makes might and in that faith let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."
    — Abraham Lincoln

bansaisequoia
    May 31, 2009, 8:11 pm
    Let's should have an apostrophe since it is a contraction of let us.

[Note: The punctuation error has since been rectified.]

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money. "
    — Samuel Johnson

bonsaisequoia
    November 28, 2009, 5:23 am
    (link) (Note: Original link is dead, visit https://web.archive.org/web/20101211...ublockhead.jpg instead.)

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "You think America is the biggest place on Earth, but it's not. The view from Mir put everything in perspective."
    — Shannon Lucid

datagawa
    August 24, 2010, 1:27 pm
    I've thought about building a small orbital shuttle and going up one day, but my differential geometry is somewhat shaky.
    bansaisequoia
    August 14, 2012, 7:20 pm
    I've been working on using my psi powers to teleport myself into orbit, and then using trascendental meditation techniques to alter my metabolism to endure the cold and vacuum of space. No luck so far.
    skoogie2
    August 5, 2013, 4:57 pm
    Okay, it's a year later, did it work yet?
    JenDiaz72
    January 2, 2015, 10:22 am
    Ha Ha Ha... obviously not...

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I would sooner read a timetable or a catalog than nothing at all. "
    — Somerset Maugham

LiveLoveLaugh
    May 15, 2010, 8:13 pm
    Phone books work in a pinch
    beckylou
    January 31, 2012, 3:13 pm
    Cereal boxes too.
    bansaisequoia
    May 17, 2012, 3:51 am
    Have you ever noticed shampoos frequently contain ammonium lauryl sulfate and methylisothiazolinone?
    montyb
    November 29, 2014, 6:23 pm
    I like to read tee shirts. And yes Bansai, I did. Even most dog shampoos contain those chemicals.
    Highpoint
    March 4, 2015, 12:01 pm
    Yep, kindred spirits recognize each other immediately. The time I spent in the Army was doubly miserable because of the lack of reading material. We were not permitted newspapers, magazines, or books. We had no TV or radio. I had no idea what was going on in the world. I found myself reading bulletin board notices and laundry instructions just to keep my mind awake. I'm convinced that part of my intellectual capacity was irrevocably damaged from the military experience.
    marnita
    June 24, 2015, 6:52 am
    Is this still true in the military?
    wvwoman
    December 4, 2015, 6:54 am
    when was this, highpoint?
    abra
    March 21, 2016, 8:19 am
    I wonder when too, or maybe it was the "where". My husband was in the military for about 21 years. He never had these restrictions. It must be a "when" or a "where". I think all readers HAVE to read. Watch children, when they've just learned to read. It's amazing how quickly, they start reading the cereal box. I wonder what the illiterate do instead. There must be something.
    SwampySox
    June 5, 2016, 4:17 pm
    We buy the CD.
    Persephone59
    August 25, 2017, 10:42 pm
    I'm not Jewish, but reading labels led me to switch to kosher light sour cream. It only has two ingredients. And yes, I too have read the shampoo labels in the shower.
    Highpoint
    May 9, 2018, 12:31 pm
    wvwoman, from 1967-1971. I was in Army Security Agency and stationed in Turkey and later Thailand. There was a belief that the SDS and other left wing organizations were infiltrating the military to spy on us and to foment dissatisfaction among the ranks. That was a rather dubious possibility, but, the officers and NCO's believed it. There was no way to acquire magazines, newspapers, or books where I was stationed, and our lockers were regularly searched for contraband (drugs, weapons, reading material). We were allowed one item of a religious nature. One guy had his Greek Orthodox bible confiscated because the officer who spotted it thought it was written in Russian and went berserk (the Russian Cyrillic alphabet is based upon the Greek alphabet and they are somewhat similar.) Our mail was read and censored by an officer (we were dealing in classified material and this was supposedly to prevent us from revealing something secret.) The reason for confiscating incoming books or magazines was to prevent us from being radicalized. How Sports Illustrated or Playboy was supposed to do that was beyond me. But, I was just an E-4 and did not understand the big picture.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
    — Thomas Jackson

bansaisequoia
    May 11, 2011, 2:21 am
    I find this to be specious reasoning.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Only in solitude do we find ourselves, and in finding ourselves, we find in ourselves all our brothers in solitude."
    — Miguel de Unamuno

bansaisequoia
    July 13, 2010, 8:06 pm
    Miguel de Unamuno

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "A wise man first thinks and then speaks and a fool speaks first and then thinks."
    — Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib

bansaisequoia
    February 5, 2011, 12:44 pm
    That sounds like it came off the top of your head.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "The drums of Africa still beat in my heart. They will not let me rest while there is a single Negro boy or girl without a chance to prove his worth."
    — Mary McLeod Bethune

chipmunkcheeks
    October 3, 2010, 3:29 am
    Is Mary McLeod Bethune from Africa. Bansaisequoia you set the record of almost eery cryptogram.
    bansaisequoia
    January 8, 2012, 7:50 pm
    Some of the cryptos I solve are eery. (link)

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Every game ever invented by mankind is a way of making things hard for the fun of it."
    — John Anthony Ciardi

bansaisequoia
    May 18, 2010, 4:54 pm
    Even Go Fish and War?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X