bansaisequoia
    May 25, 2013, 1:56 am
    The din of inequity.

Comment

• "The most heroic word in all languages is revolution."
      — Eugene V. Debs

bansaisequoia
      August 11, 2010, 11:51 pm
      Or does it make us go around in circles?

Comment

• "They teach anything in universities today. You can major in mud pies. "
        — Orson Welles

bansaisequoia
        March 22, 2010, 12:58 am
        I used to work at a microbrewery/restaurant with a guy who had a degree from UC Davis in "fermentation science." He majored in brewing beer.

Comment

• "They do certainly give very strange, and newfangled, names to diseases. "
          — Plato

bansaisequoia
          December 20, 2009, 6:21 pm
          He must be talking about Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Comment

• "It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them. "
            — Mark Twain
            1. bonsaisequaio February 19, 2010 6 seconds
            2. bansaisequoia September 11, 2012 6 seconds

Comment

• "It is well with me only when I have a chisel in my hand. "
              — Michelangelo

bansaisequoia
              June 29, 2010, 7:56 pm
              I guess he must have felt ill at ease when he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, then.
              Visimore
              October 14, 2013, 4:14 am
              Bansaisequoia, he did! Michelangelo saw painting as an inferior form of art, and he was basically forced by Pope Julius II to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling. It's quite remarkable that someone who hated painting so much and had little experience in the art form completed one of the most magnificent works of painting ever!

Comment

• "I hope they never find out that lightning has a lot of vitamins in it, because do you hide from it or not?"
                — Jack Handey

kat
                December 6, 2009, 5:27 pm
                I liked Jack Handy in "Deep Thoughts' on Saturday Night Live, but that liking does not carry over to his quotes in cryptogram form.
                bansaisequoia
                March 14, 2010, 1:20 am
                Comedy is a medium which loses facets when shown merely in printed word. A great part of comedy deals with form, action, sight, delivery. Obviously, this is why Harpo Marx never had a great career in radio. Jack Handey's Deep Thoughts on Saturday Night Live derived a lot of their humor from the deadpan delivery and timbre of the voice that spoke them.

Comment

• "Wide-sounding Zeus takes away half a man's worth on the day when slavery comes upon him."
                  — Homer

bansaisequoia
                  August 5, 2010, 5:47 pm
                  "Wide-sounding?"
                  marnita
                  October 14, 2017, 4:48 pm
                  Homeric epithets can be difficult to translate. This one is often rendered "far-thundering."
                  marnita
                  March 23, 2018, 10:34 am
                  In those days, slavery was not based upon race or gender. Anyone who was captured could become a slave.

Comment

• "Darkness cannot put out the Light. It can only make God brighter."
                    — Unattributed

bansaisequoia
                    October 2, 2012, 2:16 pm
                    If God is omniscient, can s/he be made brighter?

Comment

• "If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars. "
                      — J. Paul Getty

bansaisequoia
                      June 3, 2009, 9:18 pm
                      If Warren Buffett tore up $15 every second for 100 years straight, he'd still have a few billion left over. Don't believe me? Do the math.
                      Altoid701
                      September 29, 2009, 10:09 am
                      $15/second * 86400 seconds/day * 365 days/year * 100 years = $47,304,000,000 Net worth according to Forbes.com: $62.0 billion Amount left over after ripping up $15 every second for 100 years: $14,696,000,000
                      Lurker
                      April 5, 2010, 11:15 pm
                      I really didn't need to know that. What if he gave everyone in America $500 a month to help with the rent/mortgage?
                      pootie49
                      May 8, 2012, 9:37 pm
                      every month? and for how long? now theres a math calculation for you. wonder if we could include canada in that...pop. 33.5 million give or take. to whoever does that calculation.

Comment

• "I bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween."
                        — Anonymous

bansaisequoia
                        May 29, 2009, 8:46 pm
                        Hey, I used to live in Key West, but I can't post those photos here!

Comment

• "If I love you, what business is it of yours? "
                          — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

bansaisequoia
                          December 25, 2010, 4:03 am
                          If you follow the restraining order and don't come within 500 yards of me, we're okay.

Comment

• "It's cold out folks. Bone-crushing cold. The kind of cold which will wrench the spirit out of a young man, or forge it into steel."
                            — Andrew Schneider

Andy451
                            September 17, 2015, 1:00 pm
                            A guy who knows a lot more about cold than Andrew Schneider is Jack London. Why does Schneider have more quotes than Jack London? Jack London almost died several times, during his days prospecting for gold in the Yukon Territory in Alaska. He had frost bite several times to his fingers and toes, and I think he also had to have surgery on his nose for frostbite also. He wrote White Fang, Call of the Wild which are arguably the greatest short story and novel ever written about dogs. He also wrote the short story, "To Build a Fire", which is a story in almost every anthology ever written. Why doesn't he have more quotes than Andrew Schneider?
                            abra
                            November 2, 2015, 6:19 am
                            How do you know who has more quotes, Andy? There are a number of Jack London quotes. I don't think that anyone knows the exact quote count of any source. Bansai could probably tell you, the exact amount he's done, and that would get you close, but even he wouldn't know for sure if there was one he hadn't done.
                            pegxpeg
                            June 21, 2016, 3:37 pm
                            Maybe Andy is Bansai.
                            abra
                            February 15, 2017, 1:54 pm
                            I don't think so, bansai is almost always succinct. If he IS Andy, he must have a lot of stuff he's been storing up to comment on.

Comment

• "People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to."
                              — Dick Cheney

bansaisequoia
                              June 15, 2011, 5:49 am
                              Does this mean he supports same gender marriage?
                              patsy86
                              July 9, 2011, 5:15 pm
                              Yes it does, just as he supports his daughter in her same gender relationship.

Comment

• "A room without books is like a body without a soul. "
                                — Marcus Tullius Cicero

bansaisequoia
                                October 22, 2009, 10:42 pm
                                This really does seem to be a misattribution. Even if any of the media of Ancient Rome might be referred to as a book, how many households of that time would have had a room full of books? I can't find this quote attributed to anyone except Marcus Tullius Cicero, however.

Comment

Working...
                                X