No announcement yet.

Things that Bansai left for us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What can be added to the happiness of a man who is in health, out of debt, and has a clear conscience? "
    — Adam Smith

pootie49
    April 15, 2009, 4:21 pm
    A woman
    bansaisequoia
    October 25, 2009, 7:41 pm
    "A man needs a woman like a fish needs a bicycle."--Irina Dunn
    crossland68
    June 15, 2013, 4:45 pm
    The wrong woman can eliminate all three of those conditions!!!!
    cindidido
    May 17, 2014, 2:53 am
    The Irina Dunn quote is actually, "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." It's not the other way around. Unless Bansai was being clever, which may be the case.

Comment

• "Prepare for death, if here at night you roam, and sign your will before you sup from home. "
      — Samuel Johnson

bansaisequoia
      March 5, 2010, 9:02 pm
      "Prepare for death, if here at night you roam..." What neighborhood did he live in?

Comment

• "Not eating meat is a decision, eating meat is an instinct."
        — Denis Leary

bansaisequoia
        June 26, 2010, 2:55 am
        Though eschewal of meat may not be my decision, I'm glad that humankind has evolved to a point where there is decision making, rather than innate, inbred qualities, which some might call instinct. I'm glad that people try to throw off these shackles.

Comment

• "Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color."
          — Don Hirschberg

bansaisequoia
          May 18, 2010, 12:25 am
          Yet it's exactly what established religions do when taking non-creationists to court over the teaching of evolution vs. creationism in public schools. They claim that anyone who opposes their belief that the Earth is only 6,000 years old belongs to a religion called "Secular Humanism."
          pootie49
          April 7, 2011, 2:55 am
          and as a secular humanist..bald is a hair colour.

Comment

• "In adversity remember to keep an even mind."
            — Horace

bansaisequoia
            January 24, 2012, 5:39 pm
            Not me. I have an odd mind.

Comment

• "Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes."
              — Dr. Paul MacCready, Jr.

bansaisequoia
              December 26, 2009, 10:02 pm
              This is quite thought provoking. In the 1930s, if you had a craving for a cigarette at 3AM, you would have felt guilty for driving your 4-door Marmon Series 16 into the next county to buy a pack of cool, soothing Lucky Strikes unfiltered. Today, in the 21st Century, you'd feel guilty about driving your Prius 400 yards to the 7-11 to get Marlboro Ultra Lights. This is long after the Surgeon General's warning and the Kyoto Protocol on Global Warming. Makes ya think, doesn't it?

Comment

• "I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere."
                — Unattributed

bansaisequoia
                March 7, 2012, 7:44 pm
                Mine wouldn't fit on a spindle of 100 Blu-Ray-Rom, so I had to put it on a 750 yottabyte external drive. Talk about random access memory.
                bvwRedux
                March 14, 2012, 1:21 am
                Just a flash drive or cloud storage these days. My mind either flashes or is in the cloud.
                montyb
                June 5, 2012, 3:12 pm
                Chiseled in stone is fine for me. For those who were wondering, the metric prefix "yotta" means that you multiply the given number by 10 to the 24th power. So for bansai, that would be 750 million, million, million, million bytes. Random Act of Memory.
                gryhnd51
                May 22, 2013, 6:03 am
                Ah, Bansai.....a brilliant mind and absolutely no humility.
                marnita
                June 28, 2015, 11:10 am
                I haven't lost my mind, but my memory isn't what it used to be - and it was never anything to brag about.
                marnita
                September 9, 2015, 6:03 am
                Bansai's comment, along with Monty's explanation, probably explains why Bansai holds so many records on this site.
                hrossa
                August 19, 2020, 10:20 am
                It doesn't make one Yotta of difference what we use for backup - the hardware we're installed on only has a lifetime warranty.

Comment

• "Don't burn your bridges before they're crossed. "
                  — Unattributed

bansaisequoia
                  October 24, 2010, 1:12 am
                  I've burned bridges, but I'm so hardcore, I did the Australian crawl back to the other side.

Comment

• "Chess is a sea in which a gnat may drink and an elephant may bathe."
                    — Indian Proverb

bansaisequoia
                    October 1, 2012, 6:25 pm
                    Poor gnat. Drinking elephant bath water.

Comment

• "Be the first to the field and the last to the couch. "
                      — Chinese Proverb

bansaisequoia
                      January 11, 2011, 12:38 am
                      Today, couch potatoes watch broadcast images of people on the field.

Comment

• "Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other alternatives."
                        — Abba Eban

bansaisequoia
                        May 7, 2009, 11:07 pm
                        Perhaps they're not behaving wisely, but they've exhausted all alternatives.

Comment

• "Despair is perfectly compatible with a good dinner, I promise you. "
                          — William M. Thackeray

bansaisequoia
                          October 11, 2009, 5:51 pm
                          But would you serve it with a White Grenache or a Cabernet Sauvignon?

Comment

• "I'm never going to be a movie star. But then, in all probability, Liz Taylor is never going to teach first and second grade."
                            — Mary J. Wilson

bansaisequoia
                            May 17, 2010, 5:35 pm
                            So, I'm looking at this puzzle and thinking, "That's not how Liv Tyler spells her last name." 45 seconds. D'oh!

Comment

• "It takes 26 muscles to smile, and 62 muscles to frown. "
                              — Unattributed

bansaisequoia
                              March 19, 2011, 5:24 am
                              So if I want a chiseled, ripped face, should I frown a lot?
                              opallady
                              November 9, 2011, 1:39 am
                              The frown muscles greatly outnumber the smile muscles and are aided and abetted by gravity. If someone smiles at you they have to really work at it.
                              montyb
                              June 20, 2013, 1:04 am
                              Back in Junior high, I got a one day detention for goofing around in art class. Later, when the art teacher walked by the detention room, she said this very same thing. I told her that she must love to exercise. That became a week of detention.

Comment

• "Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it."
                                — P. J. O'Rourke

bansaisequoia
                                May 6, 2010, 4:36 am
                                Will I look good as I die, if I'm reading "Holidays In Hell" or "Republican Party Reptile?"

Comment

Working...
                                X