No announcement yet.

Things that Bansai left for us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "As the same fire assumes different shapes when it consumes objects differing in shape, so does the one Self take the shape of every creature in whom he is present."
    — Maitrayaniya Upanisha

bansaisequoia
    June 4, 2013, 9:26 pm
    Upanishad, not Upanisha.

Comment

• "When spiders unite they can tie down a lion."
      — Ethiopian Proverb

bansaisequoia
      December 18, 2010, 3:52 am
      Has this phenomenon ever actually happened in the animal kingdom? Google that one.

Comment

• "Books that you carry to the fire, and hold readily in your hand, are most useful after all. "
        — Samuel Johnson

bansaisequoia
        June 20, 2009, 11:26 pm
        Is Samuel Johnson advocating book burning?
        Lurker
        February 19, 2010, 2:47 pm
        Sounds more like he's anti-Kindle and ipad.
        bansaisequoia
        November 20, 2012, 7:13 pm
        What a disquieting thought. They named an e-book reader, "Kindle." I hope it means they wanted to fire up more profound thoughts.

Comment

• "Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live."
          — Jacqueline Winspear

bansaisequoia
          February 4, 2012, 12:03 pm
          Grace is a Bond Girl. (link) [ Note: Original link is dead. Try https://web.archive.org/web/20131109...-1985-13-g.jpg instead.]

Comment

• "Where can I find a man governed by reason instead of habits and urges?"
            — Khalil Gibran

bansaisequoia
            June 11, 2010, 3:29 am
            Have you tried eBay or Amazon?
            hotmail1
            October 6, 2011, 12:42 am
            Where can I find an honest game?
            bansaisequoia
            May 25, 2013, 1:16 am
            cryptograms.org.

Comment

• "I am not dying, not anymore than any of us are at any moment. We run, hopefully as fast as we can, and then everyone must stop. We can only choose how we handle the race."
              — Hugh Elliott

bansaisequoia
              September 10, 2009, 12:14 am
              any more

Comment

• "If thou art a man, admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail. "
                — Seneca

babs
                February 22, 2010, 6:33 pm
                Why translate using "thou"? I don't recall there being a formal and familiar "you" in Latin--??
                bonzaisekuoia
                February 26, 2010, 4:15 am
                babs, I've said the same thing about Akhnaten. If you think the Latin of ancient Romans is far removed from today's English, how about someone who lived more than a thousand years before that time on a different continent?

Comment

• "A good meal ought to begin with hunger. "
                  — Proverb

bansaisequoia
                  August 27, 2011, 12:12 am
                  What about apéritif, canapé [sic], soup and salad?

Comment

• "Don't forget that the flavors of wine and cheese depend upon the types of infecting microorganisms."
                    — Martin H. Fischer

bansaisequoia
                    December 30, 2014, 12:35 pm
                    If you eat meat, fruits and vegetables, you're eating organisms. What's so unappetizing about microorganisms?

Comment

• "We must get the American public to look past the glitter, beyond the showmanship, to the reality, the hard substance of things. "
                      — Mario M. Cuomo

bansaisequoia
                      May 2, 2010, 4:21 am
                      Wasn't he the Governor of the state with the Jumbotron in Times Square?

Comment

• "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. "
                        — Dorothy Parker

bansaisequoia
                        September 3, 2009, 6:11 pm
                        I'd use a catapult for "Atlas Shrugged," or "Battlefield Earth."

Comment

• "The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets."
                          — Christopher Morley

abra
                          June 27, 2017, 6:14 pm
                          And bansai, we'e seen bits of his poetry. Is he a novelist as well?

Comment

• "If something happened along the route and you had to leave your children with Bob Dole or Bill Clinton, I think you would probably leave them with Bob Dole."
                            — Bob Dole

bansaisequoia
                            May 3, 2010, 10:29 pm
                            I don't know about that. I saw your Pepsi commercial with Britney Spears, Bob Dole.

Comment

• "But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies."
                              — Sarah Palin

jbb33054
                              October 14, 2011, 10:43 pm
                              Isn't it strange how the media jumps all over a mistake like this, but for the most part ignored Obama saying he visited 57 states!!!
                              bansaisequoia
                              February 16, 2012, 9:52 pm
                              How did you know about Obama saying he visited 57 states if it wasn't in the media? Were you actually there? (Oh, wait. It was in the media.) Here's the actual slip-up: (link)

Comment

• "Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash."
                                — Joyce Brothers

bansaisequoia
                                September 19, 2012, 6:38 pm
                                If I dated Joyce Brothers, would I be taking out the trash?

Comment

Working...
                                X