No announcement yet.

A Tribute to abra a collection of her comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball." — Bill Veeck

abra
    March 21, 2016, 1:43 pm
    Cubs home opener is April 11.. Wait'll this year.

bkmcincinnati
    December 25, 2016, 3:52 am
    And abra, you were so right!

abra
    September 24, 2018, 9:25 am
    I think for 108 years Cub fans said that. It still makes me smile that I lived to see it finally happen again. Merry Christmas bkmcincinnati .

Comment

• "Don't laugh at youth for his affectations; he is only trying on one face after another to find his own." — Logan Pearsall Smith

LLapp
      July 22, 2015, 10:44 am
      Great advice for parents who need to retain their own sanity while their teens metamorphose.​

abra
      November 12, 2022, 2:06 am
      My grandsons are 19 and 17, growing up so fast, but I've watched them trying on faces, especially the 17 year old.​

Comment

• "Golf is a game in which you yell "fore," shoot six, and write down five." — Paul Harvey

wvwoman
        August 9, 2014, 3:41 pm
        "good day!"

Quizzical
        February 11, 2015, 5:17 am
        Great commentator. I grew up listening to him every day at noon on AM radio.

montyb
        January 29, 2019, 1:02 pm
        I don't ever recall playing with Mr. Harvey, but he knows my game so well.

highbrow
        July 2, 2019, 8:07 am
        "And now you know the rest of the story"

montyb
        November 29, 2019, 12:07 pm
        Besides, it averages out in the end.

abra
        October 18, 2021, 2:53 am
        Zillions of years ago when we were newlyweds, our really good friends had Paul Harvey's television set. He had donated it to a thrift shop. And now you know the rest of the story.

Comment

• "Behind every successful man is a proud wife and a surprised mother-in-law." — Hubert H. Humphrey

pootie49
          March 10, 2009, 11:14 pm
          I would like to see one quote that says successful women in it

bansaisequoia
          June 7, 2010, 8:31 pm
          They'd write one, but the father-in-law is so open-minded, his daughter-in-law's success would come as no surprise to him.

skoogie2
          October 7, 2014, 11:35 pm
          I find mothers of sons more surprised by the success of the daughter in law.

abra
          April 24, 2016, 2:45 pm
          My daughter-in-law is brilliant, and lovely. I wouldn't be surprised by any successful endeavor she made.

mmfs83
          December 29, 2016, 4:11 am
          How lucky you are abra. Not all of us are that fortunate.

abra
          July 22, 2018, 5:41 pm
          DIL is still brilliant and lovely. The daughter I never had.

Comment

• The mug or shirt that says "I don't have a favorite child, but if I did it would be my daughter-in-law." would have been a good gift for abra.

Comment

• "Then, like an old-time orator impressively he rose; I make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes." — Sara Teasdale

abra
              July 17, 2020, 9:59 pm
              I don't know a lot about poetry, but I like Teasdale's poems. I've mentioned before, okay probably more than once, that when I was in HS I used to have a notebook where I copied poems, mostly love poems. I liked hers.​

Comment

• A gem from abra:

"One always tends to overpraise a long book, because one has got through it. "
                — Edward Forster

Comments on this Puzzle:
                bazinga
                January 13, 2012, 11:41 am

It is somewhat akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
                kb83
                May 19, 2014, 6:11 pm

great comment, bazinga!
                abra
                August 10, 2014, 8:53 am

I agree great comment.
                abra
                November 11, 2014, 10:21 am

I felt like this after reading Under the Dome, Stockholm Syndrome seems accurate.
                LLapp
                June 3, 2015, 9:51 am

I have no problem putting down a book that tries to hold me hostage.
                Persephone59
                April 1, 2017, 9:47 am

Try reading Hermann Hesse's Magister Ludi. It's worth it, but it will cause you problems.
                Marboy
                April 14, 2017, 6:26 pm

I remember once leaving a book just a dozen pages from the end - just as a demonstration of how bad I thought it was.
                abra
                April 24, 2019, 5:24 pm

About a year ago I was reading a book that held me hostage. I hated it so much, but it was a gift and I'd asked for it, so I felt compelled to finish it. I probably left at least three comments on here about how awful it was.
                Roxanne
                October 18, 2020, 12:19 pm

What was the book, abra, in case I don't run across your comments?
                jbb33054
                December 7, 2020, 6:26 pm

Jrdad
                September 11, 2021, 4:52 pm

I struggled through to the end of The Goldfinch just to see why it won the Pulitzer; I'm still wondering.
                abra
                February 27, 2022, 10:29 pm

Roxanne, The Witches: Salem, 1692. And by the way Monty left a comment that he thought it was a good book, so maybe it was just me. I thought it was disorganized and it didn't answer the questions it would answer. For me it was a drudgery to read, but because I asked for it, I felt I had to finish it.
                abra
                June 21, 2022, 9:18 pm

*and it didn't aswer the questions it said it would answer. I just wrote on my last puzzle, that I gave up on The Name of the Rose, about a third of the way through. No Stockholm Syndrome there. I was glad to pick out a new book.

Comment

• The girl with the…
                  Now THAT was Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

• "The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance. " — Alan Watts

WRQ9
                    August 14, 2013, 8:00 pm
                    Nickel=5 dime=10 quarter=25 Suzy B.=50. Simple.

wvwoman
                    April 18, 2014, 6:35 pm
                    kennedy = 50, suzy b = 100.

puzzleme
                    February 16, 2015, 4:25 pm
                    wvwoman, you are my hero. Not only are you correct but you actually knew what the heck WRQ9 was talking about in the first place!

wvwoman
                    January 2, 2016, 10:59 pm
                    haha--that was one of the only times i understood a wrq9 comment!

abra
                    October 1, 2016, 11:34 am
                    Great answer WRQ9, even if Suzy = 100. You've figured out the change, but are you dancing?

Comment

• Until I found this website, I thought I was the only living person who remembered the Grant-Temple "You remind me of man" routine or the 1947 movie it came from. I was so delighted to find out that Abra knew it too.
                      ----------------------

"The Korean War has shown quite clearly that in a major conflict manpower is as important as horsepower." — Prince Aly Khan

darkyr
                      November 6, 2018, 2:26 am
                      Let's not forget firepower and willpower.

Wordigo
                      August 31, 2020, 9:49 pm
                      The prince is out of sync. The Second World War showed that economic and technological power outweigh manpower and horsepower.

Newbe Here
                      December 15, 2020, 6:25 am
                      And don't forget the power of hoodoo.

LLapp
                      July 12, 2021, 11:34 pm
                      Who do?

abra
                      April 25, 2022, 2:08 am
                      (link) You do!

Comment

• "The worst thing you can do for those you love is the things they could and should do themselves." — Abraham Lincoln

abra
                        March 26, 2015, 8:24 am
                        I have a close relative, who suffered a spinal cord injury and is a paraplegic. I have never seen his wife do anything for him that he could do himself. Yet, she is right there to help him do what he cannot do. I am so thankful to God, that she is his wife.​

Comment

• "Silence is one great art of conversation."
                          — Anonymous

Wordigo
                          July 18, 2022, 8:00 pm

Vow of silence: A man wanted to become a monk so he went to the monastery and talked to the head monk. The head monk said, "You must take a vow of silence and you can only say two words every 3 years." The man agrees and takes the vow of silence. Three years later the head monk comes to him and says, "It has been three years. What are your two words?" "Food cold", said the man. Another three years pass, the head monk approaches him again and asks him what his two words are. "Bed hard" And so another three years has passed and the head monk sees him again and asks the same question. "I quit" The head monk looks at him and says, "Well good, because you've done nothing but bitch since you got here."
                          abra
                          September 9, 2022, 2:44 am

Wordigo, THAT'S funny. My husband heard me laugh and asked ''what's funny" I read it to him and he LOL too.

Comment

• "Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water-bath is to the body. "
                            — Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.​

judy100
                            September 26, 2014, 6:55 am
                            I'm taking a bath in Puccini's Tosca and playing Cryto:-)​
                            LLapp
                            November 1, 2015, 4:53 pm
                            I am bathing in World Series game 5 -- Mets 2, Royals 2, 11th inning.
                            abra
                            March 24, 2017, 2:44 pm
                            I guess I'm bathing in quiet. When LLapp wrote her comment, I was probably still bathing in sulk.​​​​​​​

Comment

• This is quintessential abra: self-effacing, wise, witty and kind. It's that kind spirit that still lives.
                              ----------------

"Of all the possessions of this life fame is the noblest; when the body has sunk into the dust the great name still lives." — Johann Friedrich von Schiller

CCCookie
                              March 3, 2016, 9:17 am
                              Apparently Schiller never understood the concept of 15 minutes of fame -- which, almost inevitably, is followed by a life time of obscurity. LOL

abra
                              March 5, 2017, 5:53 pm
                              I'll gladly donate my fifteen to someone else. I haven't used them yet. They could only start with "Old lady...". You may have them, maybe 30 minutes would be helpful.

phthelen
                              September 2, 2017, 6:07 am
                              Abra, LOL.

abra
                              October 27, 2017, 10:48 am
                              Makes me think of the song Fame. I'm gonna live forever...

hisashiburi
                              June 3, 2018, 2:44 pm
                              From Schiller's poem "The Feast of Victory" set in the aftermath of the Trojan War; spoken by Neoptolemus to his father Achilles in praise of him. Many other opinions are voiced by the victorious Greeks as the wine is passed around.

Eureka
                              November 24, 2021, 11:07 am
                              I think he'd be pleased that, 200 years after his death, his quotes live on and have become part of an online game.

abra
                              June 9, 2022, 1:07 am
                              Eureka, your comments are always so nice.
                              Last edited by LLapp; 12-06-2023, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• "Gentleman-rankers out on the spree, damned from here to Eternity." — Rudyard Kipling

kat
                                December 27, 2009, 3:08 pm
                                gentleman-rankers?

kat
                                October 16, 2010, 6:23 pm
                                Once again, I say, "Gentleman-rankers"?

matarisa
                                April 27, 2011, 4:06 am
                                Yep, that's what it is: Gentlemen-rankers.

abra
                                August 22, 2011, 6:58 pm
                                Lord, have mercy on such as we, Baa-Baa-Baa..

abra
                                April 20, 2012, 2:38 am
                                I knew this from the Whiffenpoof Song. I didn't know it came from a Kippling poem.

matarisa
                                October 31, 2012, 1:01 am
                                The Whiffenpoofs sing "Gentlemen songsters".

abra
                                February 18, 2013, 12:41 am
                                Ah! not "rankers".

gryhnd51
                                October 10, 2013, 7:32 pm
                                Matarisa is correct that the "whiffenpoof" song uses the words "gentlemen songsters". My father sang with a barber-shop quartet and they used those words. That made it doubly difficult for me to solve, unfortunately.

wvwoman
                                November 9, 2014, 1:12 pm
                                "A Gentleman ranker is an enlisted soldier who may have been a former officer or a gentleman qualified through education and background to be a commissioned officer.[1] This suggests that the signer was born to wealth and privilege but he disgraced himself, and has enlisted as a common soldier (perhaps at the lowest rank, as a private or corporal) serving far from the society that now scorns him." (Wikipedia)

abra
                                October 7, 2015, 12:05 pm
                                I grew up in the Chicago suburbs. Back then one of the radio stations, can't remember which, probably WLS or WCFL, would play some version of the Whiffenpoof Song, every night at 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. I can remember one of the DJs, maybe either Larry the Legend Johnson, or Larry Lujack hated it. It was amazing how many recordings of it there were. I googled, it was WIND. The station had over 100 recordings, they played the song from the 40s until 1985, when they changed owners and became a Spanish language station.

SwampySox
                                April 27, 2016, 9:24 am
                                Great history abra.

jimdgar
                                May 23, 2017, 9:38 am
                                Gentleman-wankers out on the spwee, damned fwom hewe to Etewnity.

zengard
                                November 25, 2017, 5:30 am
                                Gee Abra, you bring back a memory. I grew up in central Illinois, and we all listened to WLS for the best current music (for teenagers).

KittyKatMeow
                                June 4, 2020, 11:46 am
                                And 10 years down the road, still I say - gentleman-rankers?? (I was Kat in my past incarnation)

abra
                                October 25, 2020, 2:16 am
                                Hi, Kat. I have done this one so many times. If I had looked at the source, I'd have been here sooner.

bigudave
                                December 6, 2022, 5:32 pm
                                Nice Porky PIg, jimdgar!

jimdgar
                                December 11, 2022, 2:50 pm
                                I have no idea why I said that, and no memory of it either.

Descifrador
                                May 30, 2023, 6:51 pm
                                bigudave: I think you mean "Elmer Fudd".

Comment

Working...
                                X