• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Happiness is not an ideal of reason, but of imagination." — Immanuel Kant

Kant's portrait on puzzlebaron:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanu..._portrait).jpg

JD_1947
    November 13, 2014, 9:53 am
    I imagine he was happy with that one . . .

LLapp
    March 16, 2016, 5:14 pm
    I wonder what the right half of his face looked like.

abra
    July 2, 2018, 6:18 pm
    It was dark, very, very dark.

Comment

More on happiness, from abra:

"The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it."
      — Al Batt

martayela
      December 11, 2012, 12:02 am
      i like this quote....think about it!!!!
      locodad
      January 3, 2013, 4:27 pm
      is it our fault that you are happy? now that's making me cry
      jnoodles
      May 10, 2013, 11:10 pm
      So few people I know are happy. Nor am I. I'll wait for them to make the first move. Yeah, this should work.
      Quizzical
      March 15, 2014, 11:33 am
      Noodles, you really need to meet some different people. Then try to cheer them up. It's contagious.
      Andy451
      June 20, 2015, 12:09 pm
      Thank you Al Batt! You're the reason all seven billion people on earth, three polar bears, one cheetah, four dragonflies, and sixteen lemurs at The City Park Zoo are so f&%((**&^ng happy. It's you. No, it's you. No, it's you.
      Elephino
      April 23, 2021, 3:26 pm
      lemurs make me happy
      abra
      January 30, 2022, 8:46 pm
      I'm happy. It's getting harder and harder to avoid the rocks and rivers of unhappiness, but mostly I manage. Some of you are the cause of some of my happiness. You are. You really, really are, believe me. I couldn't be so happy without you, and Sammy Smiles, Arthur Helps and the rest of the gang.

-------------------------------
      And from me, I sort of wish their family name, rather than Henry, had been some verb [like Delights, or something], so that she could have given her son one of those complete-sentence names she loved. I have a friend from college who gave her son, as a first name, her own maiden name, which was Brighton. I wanted her to give him a middle name of Handsome, but she wouldn't listen to me. What a missed opportunity! Abra and I were kindred spirits in our shared amusement about certain names.

Comment

"This Being of mine, whatever it really is, consists of a little flesh, a little breath, and the part which governs." — Marcus Aurelius

Barnabas
        February 20, 2012, 3:43 pm
        "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

joed
        January 22, 2013, 2:47 pm
        Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

jnoodles
        May 26, 2013, 1:48 am
        Have fun storming the castle!

wvwoman
        March 31, 2014, 8:40 pm
        ah, the princess bride--my favorite, joed!

LLapp
        July 9, 2015, 12:07 pm
        Ah, the part which governs. Did he mean his brain?

marnita
        July 21, 2015, 1:45 pm
        We can hope so.

abra
        November 6, 2015, 3:04 pm
        joed, are you my son? LOL. He loves that quote. Did you see, they used it on Big Bang, a couple of weeks ago?

LLapp
        April 21, 2018, 9:38 pm
        abra, I think our sons have a lot in common. Did yours used to drag a whole bag of books with him on every family trip too?

abra
        November 13, 2018, 2:22 pm
        He definitely did.

imsoeasy
        May 8, 2019, 4:01 am
        For a second I had an f in the part that governs.

Eureka
        February 21, 2020, 8:17 pm
        I'm just going to open the window.

Comment

"Baseball is an allegorical play about America, a poetic, complex, and subtle play of courage, fear, good luck, mistakes, patience about fate, and sober self-esteem."
          — Saul Steinberg

puffybob
          December 7, 2011, 4:48 pm
          Give me a break.
          fredsevent
          February 22, 2012, 11:00 pm
          Okay - puffybob. Take five!
          Lurker
          August 1, 2012, 10:35 pm
          No, it's about hand-eye coordination.
          bazinga
          November 20, 2012, 2:09 pm
          It is about spitting and making gestures with your hands.
          Allen
          July 2, 2013, 3:36 pm
          Baseball is 20 minutes of action, packed into 4 hours!
          skeeter
          March 5, 2015, 9:31 am
          All that and peanuts and hot dogs, too.
          abra
          March 28, 2016, 2:19 pm
          It's about never giving up hope. It's about starting each season woefully naive and thinking there's a chance. It's about watching them throw away their chances in the playoffs and saying "wait'll next year:" Well that's what it's like if you're a Cub fan.
          Barnabas
          October 17, 2016, 8:47 am
          Maybe not this year, abra. Cubs and Dodgers series tied 1-1 in the NLCS. Lifelong Twins fan here, but in 2016... Go Cubs!
          abra
          October 22, 2016, 7:25 am
          I must have had the winter is too long blues up there. OMgosh, yes!! Go my Cubbies Go. And let me say that 86 years are nothing. LOL Try 108. And 71 without a Pennant. Tonight we try to get past Kershaw. I think we can do that, but if we can't we've got another shot on Sunday. There's alway THIS year.
          mmfs83
          March 9, 2017, 5:58 am
          And they did it abra!!!
          abra
          April 25, 2018, 6:12 pm
          While we were living!

Comment

^^^^ That one is just wonderful. Thanks, Toeprint.

Comment

"Humor's a weapon if you want to make it one." — Bob Newhart

abra
              September 22, 2021, 6:33 pm
              I remember when my son discovered Bob Newhart from an album we had. The other day he called and said that our older grandson was listening to the one about the airline and screen door company. I said ''the torch has been passed to a new generation''. Proud Nana.

Comment

"Materialism is a circumference without a center. Idealism is a center without a circumference."
                — Augustus William Hare

montyb
                May 21, 2012, 3:43 pm
                Dang geometry.
                LLapp
                November 29, 2014, 9:31 pm
                Sounds like a stoned insight.
                SwampySox
                September 29, 2016, 7:50 am
                Waaay deeeep....
                maradnu
                January 9, 2017, 2:00 pm
                All this circumferating is making me dizzy.
                jimdgar
                February 16, 2017, 11:21 am
                I though doughnuts were a circumference without a center. Maybe that's my problem.
                CCCookie
                May 19, 2018, 5:23 am
                Ii wonder what he was smoking when he produced this quote. It's totally illogical to me -- a circumference, by definition, is around something and that something HAS a center. And thinking that idealism extends to infinity in all directions is pretty foolish. It can easily go too far, at least in the opinions of others, but it does have limits. Most people, but definitely not all, will lose their pacifism if all that they hold near and dear is threatened, for instance. There are other examples, of course.
                DrCryptell
                July 22, 2018, 9:51 am
                ...and a triangle is a square looking for a shortcut; an ellipse is a circle that ate too many hot dogs.
                blueladyblue
                April 30, 2019, 4:30 pm
                ...and a circle is a square that lost its edge. A square is a nerdy circle. An octagon is a stop sign that hasn't been painted yet. And are materialism and idealsm really opposites?
                Synonymous
                July 14, 2020, 7:56 pm
                ...Like a circle in a spiral and a wheel within a wheel...
                badbob
                August 4, 2020, 7:59 am
                maybe a circular firing squad was in order
                LLapp
                October 7, 2020, 1:48 am
                Blueladyblue's comment reminded me of my favorite Craigslist ad. Somebody was selling an old octagonal end table/cabinet, and the only text in the ad was "Great for storing stop signs."
                abra
                July 19, 2022, 2:56 am
                ^ I had one of those I handed it down to my son who handed it down to a friend. Now I have no place for my stop signs. Actually, that table was where I stored my treasure trove of newspaper cryptograms.

Comment

"Life is eating us up. We shall be fables presently. Keep cool - it will be all one a hundred years hence." — Ralph Waldo Emerson

abra
                  July 30, 2014, 4:22 pm
                  Emerson said "keep cool"? Whoda thunk it?

universalmom
                  January 3, 2016, 11:08 am
                  Who knew he was a Beat poet after all?

kb83
                  January 24, 2018, 3:10 am
                  This was Emerson, but he was not expressing his own thought, but describing that of a skeptic. It occurs in the work "Representative Men: Seven Lectures", and it is in the fourth entitled: "Montaigne: or the Skeptic" (link)

abra
                  January 29, 2018, 1:22 pm
                  Montaigne? Our Michel de Montaigne? He said ''be cool''? Even weirder.

SippyGurl
                  November 30, 2018, 3:48 am
                  got a rocket in your pocket...

LLapp
                  December 23, 2021, 9:28 pm
                  SippyGurl nailed it. The correct quote was "Keep cool -- from your first cigarette to your last dying day."

abra
                  November 30, 2022, 1:46 am
                  My son uses the Jet Song to explain being a Cub fan. We're back to having to explain.

Comment

"Let us make one point, that we meet each other with a smile, when it is difficult to smile. Smile at each other, make time for each other in your family." — Mother Teresa

marnita
                    September 3, 2018, 8:32 am
                    There are some smiles that can light up an entire room. There are others that just make you want to slap it off that face.

abra
                    September 27, 2018, 4:56 pm
                    ^ Political smiles do that, and it doesn't matter which side they're on.

Wordigo
                    June 30, 2020, 2:27 pm
                    ^Which political side, or which side of the face, they are on?

abra
                    August 25, 2020, 10:06 pm
                    In the case that was a serious question. I mean a smile from a politician, regardless of party. One of things I hate about the masks is when I catch someone's eye as they pass I always smile. Now they can't tell if I'm smiling or just staring at them.

mistyswiss
                    September 17, 2020, 8:33 pm
                    abra, it called a "smize." (link) Based on some of the comments you leave on this site, I'm guessing folks know you are smiling even with a mask on!

Comment

"All love is probationary, a fact which frightens women and exhilarates men." — Mignon McLaughlin

maradnu
                      December 23, 2016, 3:09 pm
                      Probationary would be conditional upon good behavior, and subject to withdrawal upon bad behavior.​

abra
                      April 24, 2021, 10:58 pm
                      I never loved my husband probationally and I never felt like I was on probation. I guess after all these years we're both slightly exhilarated.

Eureka
                      March 4, 2022, 2:14 am
                      Your comments about your marriage always delight me, abra.

Comment

"To remind a man of the good turns you have done him is very much like a reproach." — Demosthenes

Eureka
                        December 17, 2020, 7:27 pm
                        Remember that time I drove you to the airport, Demosthenes, during rush hour In a blizzard?

Fudi
                        October 24, 2021, 12:13 pm
                        Demosthenes: I do, Eureka. There was that one hairpin turn that you took kind of fast. That was a good turn. Exciting. Made me feel alive. Thanks!

abra
                        November 18, 2021, 2:09 am
                        Oh, sure, Demo, you remember Eureka driving you to the airport, but who was it who loaded up the truck and helped you to move across Athens? You didn't even spring for McGyros.

Comment

"If we did not flatter ourselves, the flattery from others would not harm us." — Proverb

marnita
                          July 1, 2017, 2:02 pm
                          If I did not flatter myself, no one would.

abra
                          December 8, 2018, 5:55 pm
                          Do you know, even though we disagree about so much, and my commas make you shiver, I think flattering things about you all the time?

Comment

"On the one hand, we'll never experience childbirth. On the other hand, we can open all our own jars." — Bruce Willis

abra
                            February 2, 2018, 6:16 pm
                            Looks like its a win-win for the guys team.​

Comment

"More than Santa Claus, your sister knows when you've been bad and good." — Linda Sunshine

abra
                              July 18, 2018, 6:42 pm
                              I guess I used to rat out my sisters to my mom, but I would never have ratted them out to Santa.

contessawin22
                              February 9, 2021, 7:06 am
                              Well, abra, you had your priorities right!!!

Comment

"A woman asks little of love: only that she be able to feel like a heroine." — Mignon McLaughlin

BrainCellKeeper
                                January 17, 2015, 3:34 pm
                                I don't need to feel like a heroine; this is a load of bull.

abra
                                May 21, 2015, 2:11 pm
                                Okay, we'll start a list. All women who don't need to feel like a heroine, feel free to sign :0) I've never given it any thought, but I don't mind it.

LLapp
                                January 4, 2018, 3:12 pm
                                I like feeling like a heroine, like I made all the difference for him -- and the truth is he and I both know I did. And he likes quietly feeling like a hero, like he changed my life forever for the good -- and the truth is he and I both know he did. And then we lived happily ever after, and the night and the morning were the next day, when came the coffee brewing and we began again.

montyb
                                January 10, 2020, 9:51 am
                                I tried to make my wife feel like a heroine, but she refused to wear the Wonder Woman costume.

abra
                                April 29, 2020, 1:59 am
                                I know that I'm my husband's hero. Because he's told me so many times. So BrainCellKeeper, do you want to reconsider. Being a heroine is fun, but there's no right answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X