No announcement yet.

A Tribute to abra a collection of her comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." — Marcel Proust​

silveryaspen
    June 30, 2009, 2:29 pm
    lovely thought .... and such people are lovely to be around

montyb
    September 17, 2013, 11:47 am
    How fortunate to be married to one such person.

wvwoman
    March 29, 2014, 8:58 pm
    oh, monty, that's so sweet!

Quizzical
    June 9, 2014, 1:36 pm
    Happy for you, Monty. I am too.

abra
    May 12, 2015, 9:56 am
    Lovely quote.

abra
    March 22, 2016, 7:38 am
    We just had our St. Patrick's Day corned beef dinner, with our son's family. I truly am grateful to them for making me happy. My grandsons are wonderful kids.

Comment

"You will find that if you really try to be a father, your child will meet you halfway." — Robert Brault

iltquilt
      September 14, 2012, 12:21 am
      I never had to "try" to be a mother; do men truly have to "try" to be fathers? Come on. This guy is so corny.

jnoodles
      May 23, 2013, 10:16 am
      Yes. Clearly they absolutely do. Quite apqrt from this man's alleged corniness. Fathers live with the sure knowledge that their children may become the stepchildren of another man any day and do not have the sort of bioslogic bond that women do. Conscious effort is required. My Dad didn't do it. Many don't. It is a simple truth. There are women out there like this as well. Just fewer.

abra
      September 11, 2017, 2:42 pm
      My husband is an excellent father now, and when our son was growing up. I'm sure the specter of a step-father never crossed his mind, nor did he have any doubt about paternity. I really hope that he is in the majority. It's so sad otherwise.

Comment

"Men are irrelevant. Women are happy or unhappy, fulfilled or unfulfilled, and it has nothing to do with men." — Fay Weldon

abra
        January 22, 2018, 3:35 pm
        I disagree with the quote. It may be true for some women but not all. I can't imagine that I would be very happy without someone to share my life with. In my case that would be a man. My husband and son and his family are relevant to my happiness.​

Comment

"Cheerfulness, sir, is the principal ingredient in the composition of health." — Arthur Murphy

abra
          July 16, 2018, 12:25 pm
          Brand new puzzle. My 25 seconds beats a 150 second guest record. Thanks for adding new quotes, Stephen.

Fudi
          August 5, 2018, 2:50 pm
          Abra - you've still got this one at 25 seconds. I'm 10 seconds behind you at 35.

nanrich
          August 7, 2018, 6:32 am
          Sorry Abra. But you can get it back.

abra
          September 7, 2018, 6:48 pm
          nanrich, if you have been here, I absolutely can not get it back. I bow to your greatness. And I am humbled that you spoke to me. o)

Eureka
          August 8, 2019, 1:44 pm
          Getting a comment from nanrich is quite an accomplishment, abra! I'd say it ranks right up there with seeing the Baron!

Comment

"If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part." — Richard Feynman

LLapp
            October 6, 2018, 9:16 pm
            Science is a never-ending question. The mindset that believes uncertainty is proof of weakness completely misses the value and the role of science.

pickleball
            May 11, 2019, 3:24 pm
            who amongst us had to cut up a frog in science

Eureka
            July 18, 2019, 8:26 pm
            I did, pickleball. I still remember the smell of the formaldehyde.

abra
            September 15, 2019, 2:37 am
            I did. I also had the really good looking, Harvard grad teacher, grab my hand and Make me touch the worm. I took Natural Science and Biology one. I will never have a speck of the love for science so many of you have. If I had gone on I probably would have blown up the Chemistry Lab.

LLapp
            February 3, 2020, 4:43 am
            Abra, that was great.

Comment

"True love is quiescent, except in the nascent moments of true humility."
              — Bryant H. McGill

Comments on this Puzzle:
              abra
              September 5, 2018, 2:19 pm

Born with a silver Thesaurus in his mouth.
              jimbo42
              November 1, 2018, 10:15 am

this quote should end up solved in very few seconds by a well known solver
              CryptoB
              February 1, 2019, 11:18 am

Love it, abra
              LLapp
              March 25, 2019, 12:08 am

Silver Thesaurus - hahaha, I want one!
              skeeter
              March 30, 2019, 8:29 pm

One of your best, abra.
              puffybob
              December 18, 2019, 4:39 am

I think McGill stole this from WRQ9
              rasbury
              July 15, 2020, 11:42 pm

I wonder if that works for him as a pick-up line.
              kb83
              February 4, 2021, 10:36 am

this quote makes me reminiscent about my luminescent and fluorescent years as an adolescent,
              skeeter
              April 28, 2022, 3:11 am

And still funny, abra.
              hrossa
              January 14, 2023, 11:59 am

Still funny, and she is sorely missed.

Comment

(The comments abra left about WRQ9 always made me smile.)

"Interdependence is and ought to be as much the ideal of man as self-sufficiency. Man is a social being. " — Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

WRQ9
                June 9, 2013, 5:21 pm
                This is the sort of necessary ambiguity that returns the appearance of reason to the arsenal of abject cruelty.

abra
                June 15, 2020, 10:58 pm
                I do miss WRQ9. That was one of his most splendid examples. He gave that jar of words a really good shake. I really do miss him though. He was never snarky or mean.

Comment

(No wonder abra didn't like creepy crawlies.)

"That which is not good for the bee-hive cannot be good for the bees. " — Marcus Aurelius

montyb
                  March 13, 2020, 8:37 am
                  Last summer while mowing the lawn I literally walked into the midst of a swarm of migrating bees that wasn’t there five minutes before. It decided that our sweet gum tree would be a nice place to rest. The bee keeper who collected them estimated the swarm to be around 10,000. It’s a good thing that the bees were so engorged with honey that they couldn’t bend their abdomens enough to sting.

abra
                  October 3, 2020, 1:10 am
                  Monty that would have been terrifying to me. when I was a preschooler I walked into a bumble bee nest. I've been terrified of bees, and all stinging insects since then. I'm glad your bees were very full.

Comment

August 14: Abra's Backspace Re-Comment Day

"A holiday is when you celebrate something that's all finished up, that happened a long time ago and now there's nothing left to celebrate but the dead." — Abraham Polonsky

abra
                    August 14, 2019, 1:54 am
                    Oh, I think a holiday is much nicer than that.

abra
                    August 14, 2019, 1:55 am
                    I think I've discovered something new and fun. I hope I'll get back to this quote again sometime soon.

LLapp
                    December 4, 2019, 2:51 am
                    Abra, what happened?

mistyswiss
                    August 18, 2020, 6:02 pm
                    Will you tell us in the twilight zone?

writeon
                    September 5, 2020, 8:24 am
                    For me, just solving a cryptogram is cause for celebration. It's like a holiday when I get above average!

writeon
                    September 6, 2020, 1:22 pm
                    For me, just solving a cryptogram is cause for a holiday celebration when I get above an average score.

abra
                    October 11, 2021, 3:06 am
                    Wow, the cat has been let out of the bag now. I'm just really surprised to look back now and see this was on my birthday.

LLapp
                    August 22, 2022, 1:13 am
                    Abra, this thread is historic! This is where you discovered how to time-travel back to the same thread and leave a second comment. I say we make August 14th a holiday.

abra
                    September 21, 2022, 2:43 am
                    LOL. Oh you're a holiday, such a holiday --Barry Gibb and Robin Hugh Gibb.

Comment

• (I apologize to abra for including such a horrid quote in this collection, but her comments are delightful.)

"The idea of seeing another person experience the same pleasure reduces one to a kind of equality which spoils the unutterable charms that come from despotism." — Marquis de Sade

abra
                      August 8, 2014, 12:05 pm
                      shudder, barf, what a vile person.

LLapp
                      December 24, 2015, 8:15 pm
                      Sick, sick, sick.

maradnu
                      March 29, 2016, 7:51 am
                      I have a great deal of disdain for anyone who takes pleasure in the pain of another. Even more for someone who revels in that pleasure, as De Sade does.

nelnose
                      June 20, 2016, 1:42 pm
                      I bet if his victims enjoyed his "pleasures", he wouldn't have taken pleasure in them.

abra
                      July 6, 2016, 12:27 pm
                      It's a shame he didn't cross paths with some 18th century Lorena Bobbitt.

MissKitty
                      February 22, 2018, 5:45 am
                      what a nutterbutter kind of guy.

SippyGurl
                      April 16, 2018, 6:16 am
                      icky de sade

opallady
                      October 3, 2019, 7:42 pm
                      I love abra's comment. Go Lorena!

autumngirl
                      May 14, 2021, 7:30 pm

LLapp
                      June 10, 2021, 4:54 am
                      Autumngirl is silent in the spring.

abra
                      September 20, 2021, 2:39 am
                      But, I picture her being lovely in the fall.

universalmom
                      October 4, 2021, 1:51 pm
                      Somehow I didn't see "despotism" coming.

LLapp
                      June 30, 2022, 5:28 am
                      umom, isn't that always how it happens?

piefka
                      August 9, 2022, 3:32 pm
                      So close, I just want one quote where every letter is used.

abra
                      September 30, 2022, 8:31 pm
                      piefka, there is a crypto legend that there is one out there. They talk of it around campfires late at night. Children whisper about it on playrounds. I've never seen it, but I believe it's there.

Synonymous
                      October 28, 2022, 1:58 pm
                      There is one which uses all the letters and Stephen comments on it in the comments section, here it is: admin July 25, 2018, 1:39 pm I realized we didn't have any quotes in the system that used every letter in the alphabet, and figured we had to include at least one. Congrats to those who solved it! This pangram dates back at least to 1930s, and was featured in a number of typing manuals from that time as a means of testing each key stroke. "Six javelins thrown by the quick savages whizzed forty paces beyond the mark." — Rupert Pitt SoRelle

Comment

• (This was a thread that intertwined two themes, one romantic and one political. I've left out the political comments, though I personally found them worthwhile, because they don't belong in this tribute.)

"Heaven will be no heaven to me if I do not meet my wife there." — Andrew Jackson

smoochie222
                        April 26, 2009, 1:45 pm
                        He loved his wife mightily.

montyb
                        May 20, 2013, 12:45 am
                        I met my wife in a college hallway.

JenDiaz72
                        October 28, 2014, 10:19 am
                        I met my husband in a bar and I kicked his butt at pool...

abra
                        May 10, 2015, 12:27 pm
                        I remember that there's an old movie about Andrew and his wife, and the "scandal" of their marriage. It sounds like he loved her dearly. I met my husband in high school, in a general science class. That was decades ago.

JJ20paws
                        October 28, 2016, 11:25 am
                        Got engaged on Halloween, he was Frankenstein & I was the Bride of. 11 years later it still works

Deanna48
                        October 18, 2019, 9:30 pm
                        I fell in love with my husband in Saudi Arabia during the Persian Gulf War. Got married 2 months after we returned. It's been 28 years.

oddcouple
                        October 19, 2019, 7:44 am
                        I met my wife in a church Bible study. I fell for her right away, but had to wait two years for her to wake up and dump her loser boyfriend.

abra
                        May 1, 2021, 3:08 am
                        I love all of the how I met the love of my life stories. Hope everyone is still happy.

montyb
                        September 15, 2022, 5:52 pm
                        See how science affects your life, Abra?

Comment

• "The best that can be said for Norwegian television is that it gives you the sensation of a coma without the worry and inconvenience."
                          — Bill Bryson​

mazereeuw
                          December 28, 2013, 8:44 am
                          Their television may be boring but if I had to move from home, it's the one place on earth I'd like to move to.
                          wvwoman
                          August 1, 2014, 4:28 pm
                          funny!!
                          Annamariah
                          November 27, 2014, 3:50 am
                          I actually like I kveld med YLVIS (Ylvis Show).

intelligencia
                          August 11, 2016, 1:56 pm
                          An excellent writer... his books are so enjoyable.

abra
                          November 25, 2016, 6:58 pm
                          Annamariah, I wondered what you would say about this quote. I don't understand it ) but it's nice to know.

Eureka
                          March 12, 2019, 1:33 am
                          That made me laugh.

LLapp
                          August 6, 2021, 6:38 pm
                          So not only do they have universal healthcare, good pandemic management and awesome furniture, but people are not glued to their TV sets? I'm packing.​
                          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• "Few women care what a man looks like, and a good thing too." — Mignon McLaughlin

abra
                            October 18, 2016, 6:02 pm
                            First attractions are often about looks. My husband was a cutie. I've known him since he was 15. I still think he's good looking, but looks quit mattering a long time ago. We're closing in on 50 years. Next year will be 49.

abra
                            January 27, 2018, 1:23 pm
                            Yeah, but he's a silver fox.

Comment

• "Memory is what tells a man that his wife's birthday was yesterday." — Mario Rocco

gryhnd51
                              October 30, 2014, 7:46 pm
                              My husband always forgets, but so did my father when he was alive. I still love them anyways.

abra
                              November 4, 2014, 3:01 pm
                              My husband's never forgotten a birthday or an anniversary. I haven't either, but he's better at it.

Comment

• "Children make you want to start life over." — Muhammad Ali

abra
                                January 3, 2017, 3:02 pm
                                Recently, I saw a beautiful little girl in the commissary. and she saw another little girl wearing the same Elsa dress, that she was wearing. She was so excited. She asked her mom "does that mean she's my friend?" I probably didn't want to start over, but she certainly made me nostalgic for days so innocent.

NotTooOld
                                March 5, 2017, 2:43 am
                                I think in some ways I may have been too serious as a parent. If I get a chance to be a grandparent it will be a bit like starting over.

LLapp
                                April 6, 2018, 4:24 pm
                                abra, thanks for that. What a sweet moment.

LLapp
                                January 25, 2019, 8:22 pm
                                That story warmed my heart again. Thanks abra.

abra
                                November 22, 2022, 1:42 am
                                It made me smile to read it again, LLapp.

Comment

Working...
                                X