Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server issues and warnings

Hi everyone -

Sorry about the server downtime yesterday - there was a transformer explosion which blew both primary and secondary power to our data center in Las Vegas. Our web hosts say the issue is now under control.

Unfortunately, we're not quite out of the woods just yet. As luck would have it, we're also in the middle of migrating the Cryptograms.org box to a brand new server. The new server will be significantly faster and better equipped than our current one, and will be housed in an entirely separate data center.

The new server is being set up today/tomorrow, and once its ready we're going to copy all content over to it.

What this means in practical terms... basically, at some point today or tomorrow, we'll be taking a "snapshot" of the database on the current server. Any games played on the old (current) server after that point will essentially be lost - and different players will start to see the new server at different times, depending on their webhosts and DNS settings. This also means there is potential for games to be marked as unsolved/failures, i.e. if you happen to start the game at say 6:00pm, our data dump occurs at 6:02 pm, and you finish the game at 6:04pm.

So if you're the type of player who is fanatical about playing percentages and maintaining a 100% solve rate, I highly recommend you log out of your account and play only as a guest until the entire migration is completed. It may be 2-3 days or even longer before you will start accessing the new server, though for most people it will take just a few hours.

If, on the other hand, you just play for fun and don't care much about the statistics - it's perfectly fine to continue playing as you normally do. The worst that will happen is that you may lose a day or two of solves, and perhaps accrue one or two "missed" puzzles in your solving percentage.

I will be adding a message to the old (current) server on every page that will indicate you're on the old server. When that message disappears, you'll know you're seeing the new (upgraded) server, and at that point it will be safe for you to log back in and resume normal play.

Apologies for the hassles, especially after yesterday's outages - but our server has unfortunately reached the end of its usable life span. We're at a point where it is starting to experience periodic slowdowns and failures due to increased site demands. The new server should alleviate this and everyone should experience a much faster and responsive site when this is all over.

Thank you for your patience!

Stephen

Fanatic

Thanks and a tip o the hat

from

Live Fanatically
    Love Fanatically
    Laugh Fanatically
    and want 100% at Cryptograms FANATICALLY

Comment

Thanks for the warning. I didn't get a chance to play yesterday so I lucked out and missed the crash. In the interest of maintaining my 100% I think I'll go mess around on facebook for a bit. Cheers.

Comment

Really appreciate how well you re keeping us informed, Stephen.

Thanks.

So basically the last server was just a move and now we have
        a brand new one?
        Awesome!!!

Kudos!

Comment

Server issues and warnings

So the good news is that the site is becoming so much more active that we need a better server! Yes! Good job, everyone. Thanks Stephen.

Comment

Quick update - the data migration is taking longer than expected, latest estimate is that it will be completed sometime tomorrow morning. There's some other steps I need to take care of before I can flip the switch, so if all goes as planned, I'd expect to start changing DNS sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Sorry this is taking so long...

Comment

New server is up! DNS has just been switched - will likely take a few hours for most people to see the new site, but a few are already getting it. If you see this message, this is on the OLD SERVER ONLY. (New server will have the warning message wiped from all non-forum pages.)

Thx for your patience!

Comment

Thanks Stephen. I'll give it a go in the morning.
                "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi everyone -

Seems my earlier message got lost in the confusion but here it is again.... the new server just experienced a catastrophic failure. I've pushed back all the DNS changes so that everyone should be pointing back to the old server for now. The bad news is that this means we are going to need to start from scratch on yet another new server and migration. The good news, if there is any, is that this happened now, and not a month from now or later, when everyone would have been actively using the system and we would have had severe data loss as a result.

I'm going to work to get the new, new server up as quickly as possible, but it will likely require another couple of days. The same rules apply if you're obsessive on percentage completions, it's best not to play logged in until all of this is sorted.

Comment

Hands Stephen some chicken wire and chewing gum, some Valium, a large bottle of
                    whatever beverage gets ya thru...

Hang in there little buddy. Sure hope ya had a warranty on that last one.
                    Jeeesh.

Thanks for keeping us up to date and thanks for all the work you re doing and
                    you should take the censor off and just let it out here.
                    We wont mind, well Lily and I wont thats for sure.

Im trying to lighten the mood. Not helping much I know.

But srsly thanks and good luck and if you need any choice swear words
                    you know where to ask.

Comment

If you're reading this message on the website (not via email), you're on the new, NEW server. Will probably take a few hours before most people start seeing it.

Comment

New server issues

Okay, I saw no message when I came to the site so I logged on. I was logged off in the middle of a game and now I'm seeing the message about going to a new server shortly, again. Even though I logged backed on I can't find the puzzle I was solving when I was kicked off. The tequila offer still stands and there is also some gin, rum and triple sec.

Comment

Now the message is gone and I was able to find and finish that puzzle. Thanks.

Comment

This can happen if your computer is still caching old DNS data - a few things that might help:

- rebooting your computer
                            - clearing your browser's cache
                            - manually flushing your local dns
                            - try using a different browser

..... but in the main, this sort of thing will resolve itself after a few hours. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do on my end to alleviate it. Sorry about that.

Comment

How to flush your DNS:

Comment

Working...
                              X