Cryptograms.org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's disappointing.

Question for you - when you experience "lag" what exactly happens? i.e. when you click a link/button, which of the following occurs:

1. Nothing, current page remains on screen, browser status bar says "Connecting to cryptograms.org"

2. Same as above but browser status bar lingers on "Waiting for cryptograms.org"

3. The next page partially loads quickly (i.e. the title bar and maybe some of the header appears) but takes several seconds to load completely.

This might help me figure out what part of the process is causing the lag.

Comment

Thank you, Stephen. The site is working much faster for me now. I don't have to wait a long time for puzzles to load, and navigating from page to page is faster too.

Comment

Glad to hear it, thanks Lily!

Comment

Stephen, it WAS doing #1...but I decided to restart my computer and that seems to have made a big difference. I WAS having to dbl-click on "play another cryptogram" and "solve"...I've only done a few solves, but it's working like it used to. Thanks very much

Comment

Glad to hear! It's amazing sometimes what a reboot will accomplish. :-)

Comment

I am still seeing the same slowdowns, but it is much more infrequent. I made sure to reboot, as well. That said, I'll need a bigger sample size of play time before I can tell whether it's just the normal slowdown that happens when the site gets busy. I am encouraged by the lengthening periods of stability, however.

Thanks again, Admin!

Comment

I had to update my Adobe flash player. I don't know if that was a coincidence, but it seems to have helped. Unfortunately, the ads are back, too. I didn't miss that.

Comment

Admin, it's better but not completely fixed...at least from my end of things. The lag times "seem" to be shorter in duration for the most part, and then it will take over 5 secs to load a crypto and at least that long after hitting solve. I hope others will add their own input.

Comment

The site is much faster here, Stephen. I have almost no delay between pages. Thanks.
                    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry, but it's still giving a 3 or 4 second delay here. Occasionally it clicks right to the next page as it should, but not very often.

Comment

I'm wondering if those who are ad free, experience the slow loading. For me this all started with one particular ad, That got better, but never completely returned to the "old" normal.

Also, it 's a bit baffling, even though so many of us are complaining about the problem, the top 20 fastest solver scores seem really high. In March I would have made the top 20 with my 64 something. In April, I wasn't even close. So, I don't understand that part of it. And, the 64 something is pretty fast for me.

Comment

the great slowness

i'm ad-free, have experienced the slow-loading, and it is still slow. often around 8 seconds to load the puzzle. also slow after clicking 'enter', but at least that time isn't added to the score, thank goodness. if speed weren't foreign to me (!), i'm sure that would be extremely frustrating.

some of those evil ads used to seriously hang me up (and frustrate me to the screaming point)--i can't imagine trying to go for speed and deal with ads at the same time.

Comment

I just had a solve page not load completely. It got hung up at the banner ad, but was slow before that. It did record my time on the puzzle from when I hit "enter", as near as I can tell. The rest of the site's pages seem to be doing fine.

Comment

And now it's working fine. Maybe it was my own connection.

Comment

I'm experiencing brief intervals during which the site is somewhat closer to normal. The rest of the time, it remains very frustratingly slow.

Comment

Working...
                                X