Addicted to Cryptograms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicted to Cryptograms

The puzzle answer was: "Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism." — Carl Jung. Pootie wrote in the comments box "or cryptograms".

After realizing I couldn't definitively say whether I'm addicted or not to cryptograms, I thought maybe we could initiate a little self-help via the forum, with a first step of making a checklist for diagnostic purposes. (After that, we can move on to treatment options...) So here's a start:

You know you're a cryptogram addict when:

1. Cryptograms.org is set as your default homepage on your web browser. (Mine isn't, so so far I'm good.)

Next?

You know you're a cryptogram addict when:

2. You try to place letters in the squares of your chess board.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

It seems that you're hooked if you...

3. You cannot make a decision or resolve any of your current problems without first revealing a message possibly hidden within the next cryptoquote to be solved.

Comment

4. You send text messages to your spouse in cryptogram form.

Comment

You know you're a cryptogram addict when

5. you're solving cryptograms in your dreams while you're sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily H View Post
            5. you're solving cryptograms in your dreams while you're sleeping.

I've been there, Lily!
            "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Lily, you stole mine!

6. You try to "solve" odd-sounding street names as you're driving.

Comment

7. When every time you are innocently checking your email or surfing the web and your spouse says, "What are you doing .... solving?"

Comment

You know you're addicted to cryptograms when your kids start getting good at it!

Comment

you know you're a cryptogram addict when

you register a new userid to hide your REAL playing time

Comment

you register a new userid to hide your REAL playing time, hey wait a minute, my evil twin just said that, are you only half an addict when you are a twin?

Comment

oh, yes, this really happens!

when typing, you skip letrs in words becaus you expct duplicate letrs to be automicly filed in for you.

Comment

You're telling yourself...I can get by on 7 hours of sleep, 6 is okay, maybe 5.....and you're starting to put qs and xs in where the es go.....(not that this has happened or anything...)

Comment

Jeanne d'Arc

You give up heroin cold turkey because it reduces your solve time too much.

(You know that's when you've got a serious problem)

Comment

@wvwoman - I've done that!!! exprinc...too many Es to type. This is much faster. ("experience" for those of you who are not addicts)

Comment

Working...
                              X