New Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
    Thanks for the reply--change does suck! I just now discovered my issue with the avatar is only occurring on Chrome which is of course my browser of preference. I can see others' avatars but not my own! Very odd.........

Mine shows up just fine on other browsers, Firefox, Safari on my iPad, etc.........I'll do as you suggested and contact the admin directly and see if he can fix this.......

Kindest regards,

Russ
    He should be able to get it to work - I'm on Chrome too.

Comment

I've removed the caps and increased font-size and spacing instead. Trying to find a happy medium that will appease everyone.

Re: stats, yes, lifetime stats will have lost some games from the days leading up to the migration. Sorry about that, I tried to keep data loss to a minimum but some were unavoidable.
      If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Please note: A REALLY long time ago, there was a debate about using upper-case or lower case letters on a teletype. Apparently you could have one or the other but not both. The engineer in charge of the project, a guy working for IBM, decided that upper-case would be the default, since doing otherwise would allow "god" to appear in (gasp) lowercase. Since then, study after study has shown that lowercase letters are easier to read, that reading speed is higher for lower case letters, etc. I would personally find it far more preferable to have the default be lower-case, just for reasons of ease-of-use.

Comment

You made the change to lower case while I was asking for the change. I couldn't ask for faster service than that!

Comment

While there have been some font changes, etc, I think that admin (Stephen) has being doing a great job with things, which can't be easy during any changeover . When I lost my current identity (probably because I wasn't too careful in updating emaail addresses), he restored it within minutes. Pretty much by accident, I found a glitch that let me pause a board, pretty much indefinitely as far as I could tell. I told him about it & he fixed that quickly. Anyway, I really appreciate his work here.

Comment

I don't know if the problem is on my end or yours. But after I got started on the new server it accepted the result of my first game. Then I played another, but instead of switching to the game result screen, it seemed to be taking forever to load--and then finally it gave up and showed an error screen. When I clicked to go back and checked my "my scores" page, I discovered that the results of the second game weren't recorded. I played a few more games, and sometimes this problem repeats and sometimes it doesn't. I have now played eight games, but only four of them were recorded. If this problem originates on my end, does anyone know what I can do to remedy it?

Comment

Hi Hamlet - email me a screenshot of the error message to puzzlebaron@gmail.com and I will look into it. Thanks!
                If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Here's the Cut and Paste version, since it's just a little bit of text.

Request Timeout

Server timeout waiting for the HTTP request from the client.

Additionally, a 408 Request Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Comment

That looks like a networking problem. Our analytics show no downtime or connection issues on our end so unfortunately there's likely some sort of interference on the network between wherever you are in the world and our server in California. Are you seeing this problem with any other websites or just Wordtwist?

Comment

It's just on Wordtwist.
                      I'll wait a day or so and try again. It is a little frustrating to have a great game, only to have the results not count in my overall totals.

Comment

Why is there always exactly 100 players online at all times?

Comment

I put a hard-limit of 100 on the "Who's Online" page to keep database calls down to a minimum. I may change that to just show a shorter time period, maybe the last 30 minutes or so of users.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisser View Post
                            Now everything is in all CAPS?? I would prefer mine to be in lower case. Can that be changed?
                            I noticed that too in one game that I played. But after I quit my browser and started it again, it went back to lower case. I hope it stays that way.

P.S.: Oh, I see that Stephen changed it back. That must have happened during the time that I was quitting and restarting. Thanks!
                            Last edited by Nylimb; 03-04-2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Me again. The error problem persists. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Frustrating because after I play a game, good or bad, I want my results to be added to my ongoing stats. I just got my second highest score ever--but the error message kicked in and it didn't get recorded. I wish I knew how to fix this.

Comment

Hamlet, I also had the same message for a while on the morning of the 1st (just after migration to the new server). I'd never seen that before, and haven't seen it since. I've had WordTwist connection problems before (often while other sites loaded fine), but like I said, I never got that message before. Whether it's due to the new server or some coincidental & unnoticed Firefox update, I don't know. I play here a lot, and haven't seen other people complaining. I'd say that it sounds like a connection timeout, but when I was getting the message, it was pretty much immediate. (I assumed that it was a glitch on the WordTwist end.) Depending on how you play, you could try changing browsers & see if the problem persists. Do you have connection problems on other sites?

Comment

Working...
                                X