No announcement yet.

Favourite words found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't really have a choice. I started with DAMMER, stared a little bit, and saw that it was preceded by a GOTTER. That rang a bell, and I saw that if I put those together, I could add the -UNG. There was an S after that. I didn't have much faith in it, but I typed it. Anyway, I've gotten "better" words this month, but nothing that's amazed me so much.

Comment

I think my current favorite word that I have seen found (I have not found it) was found by Spike as QUATTUORDECILLIONTHS? Pretty interesting

Comment

I found that again, but it was on a board where I'm pretty sure that lalatan had already found it. I'm trying to take only new words this month, but there, I couldn't help myself. I liked it so much that I took it.
        Last edited by Spike1007; 03-30-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Today I found LYSOGENIZATIONS. Wasn't sure that was a real word until it got accepted.

Comment

Spike, I've played that word for records a few times over the last year. DrP blazed the trail for me with that one. There'd be about a quattuordecillionth of a chance of me ever coming up with that one on my own. I usually misspelled the prefix once or twice before I got it right. But now I finally have it straight in my head by pronouncing it phonetically.

The first time I saw it I looked up QUATTUORDECILLION: 1. a cardinal number represented in the U.S. by 1 followed by 45 zeros, and in Great Britain by 1 followed by 84 zeros. adj. 2. amounting to one quattuordecillion in number. Quite a disparity in value between the UK and US! Thank God for scientific notation.

Nice find, kate!
            Last edited by lalatan; 03-30-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

kate, LYSOGENIZATIONS is a great word. I can imagine finding -GENIZATIONS, and then trying to tack something onto the front of it. Whether LYSO- would occur to me, I have no idea. (I don't know the word, but that's where you go for whatever you can find.)

I forget who here introduced me to the QUATTUOR- prefix & what word it was part of. Whoever you are, thanks!

By the way, one of my all-time favorite words here was TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA (fear of the number 13). I've only run across that twice. The first time, I was sure it was there, but didn't remember how it was spelled & just couldn't put it together. I looked it up, and was ready (more or less) for the next time. I got it then, but haven't seen it since.
              Last edited by Spike1007; 03-30-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
                kate, LYSOGENIZATIONS is a great word. I can imagine finding -GENIZATIONS, and then trying to tack something onto the front of it. Whether LYSO- would occur to me, I have no idea. (I don't know the word, but that's where you go for whatever you can find.)
                That's exactly what happened, spike!
                ​​​​​​I think "oxygenization" wasn't quite there and I tried different combinations until I landed on LYSO-.

Triskaidekaphobia is a great word! I'm not sure I'd have recognized it on a board, but you never know.

Comment

kate, This sounds fair. The next time I see LYSOGENIZATIONS, I'll get it (maybe) and you'll get TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA. Let me know...

Comment

BOURGEOISIFICATION. I actually saw BOURG- and -IFICATION and guessed at the rest. (Also guessed BOURGEOIS from seeing only part of the word.)

Pretty sure I've gotten points for BOUGIE before, but it wasn't on this board.

Comment

Nice find DrP! I was pretty sure I played that about 2 weeks ago so I searched my word finds folder. it was actually last Oct 25! (Time and words fly when you're having fun, I guess. ) What I found 2 weeks ago was actually a related topic: PROLETARIANNESSES.
                      Last edited by lalatan; 04-02-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

DENUCLEARISATIONS and GRAMMATICALIZATIONS were both found by me. DENUCLEARISATIONS was fun to find, and I haven't had GRAAMATICALIZATIONS before, so I decided to keep that and will keep that as my word for the month, unless I find a board with a 40+ point word I haven't found yet.

Comment

It's not as impressive as the great words appearing in this thread, but my new favorite word is SILLILY which I found yesterday :-D

Comment

I would not have found QUATERNIONS (high scoring word record on the board) if not for Academic Decathlon in the late 1990s...

Comment

Good find DrP! I saw or heard the word somewhere but never played it.

In the past we briefly talked about PAINTERLINESSES. I recently found it again as well as some other -linesses words: CURMUDGEONLINESSES, SLUGGARDLINESSES and HOUSEWIFELINESSES. I've always liked the first 2. Down the road from here a neighbor has a faded sign posted at the entrance to his driveway which reads "BUGGER OFF" (all caps). I always thought he is the epitome of curmudgeonliness. At least everyone knows where they stand with him. lol

kate: when I saw your post at the top of the thread about warmongering it reminded me that I played FASHIONMONGERING. Until I played it I had been blissfully unaware you could "monger" fashion. I've always like the word fishmongering but haven't seen it on a board yet.

Comment

FEDEX and FEDEXES count! I guess it's been genericized by now...

(I also broke the longest/best words records on the same board with DEDIFFERENTIATES, which is a nice find, but not nearly as interesting as FEDEXES.)

Comment

Working...
                                X