No announcement yet.

Favourite words found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a particularly high-scoring word, but I was glad to be the first to find a THEREMIN on a recent board.

Ooo-eee-oooooo Eee-oo-eeeeeee... (Guess the theme tune!)

Comment

• Originally posted by crazykate View Post
      Not a particularly high-scoring word, but I was glad to be the first to find a THEREMIN on a recent board.

Ooo-eee-oooooo Eee-oo-eeeeeee... (Guess the theme tune!)
      Wizard of Oz?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Wizard of Oz?
        I was thinking of this, actually... https://youtu.be/suoWWeF0we4

Comment

• Originally posted by crazykate View Post

I was thinking of this, actually... https://youtu.be/suoWWeF0we4
          That is cool. How does she play midi without touching it?

I was thinking Wizard of Oz because of the Ooo-ee-oooo ... you know when the Dorothy is locked into the witches castle, that's the music that plays ...
          Description Baltimore Orioles chat to the Witch's Guards march from The Wizard of Oz

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

That is cool. How does she play midi without touching it?

[/url]
            That's how a theremin works, the distance between the hand and the upright pole controls pitch, and the distance between the other hand and the loop controls the volume.
            It sounds like halfway between a violin and the human voice, so sometimes you don't realise what you're hearing.
            I believe it's part of the Star Trek theme as well.
            And have a look at this:

Comment

• That's pretty cool, kate. It seems the mythical "air guitar" (so to speak) untold millions have played over the decades has been built. Congrats on taking musical therapy. Like art therapy, I think it's a good tool to help people open up.

Comment

• Curious.

Found a 16 letter word on this board. Not accepted, while the 14/26 point version was.

Thought plurality had become an added feature to this grand journey.

Tried it twice. Very careful the second time--which reeeeeallllllly messed up total points and number of words, but...

For those who can see it, please don't give it away.

(wonder how many seconds it will take lalatan and the other long-worders since it's flashing all the usual signals they use)

Or is simply a perception error on the author's part?

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 12.36.23 PM.png

As an added note: ese and eens are both now accepted and worth 6 points each. Don't remember them as being such before the Great Enlightenment, but... senility and all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

(wonder how many seconds it will take lalatan and the other long-worders since it's flashing all the usual signals they use)
                  20 seconds for a 16 letter word. I scrolled down slowly to read your text so didn't see the board until I was ready to go.
                  Last edited by lalatan; 01-28-2023, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                    20 seconds for a 16 letter word.
                    I didn't time myself and was probably slower, but I did find it. Curious that the plural wasn't accepted.

Comment

Curious.

Found a 16 letter word on this board. Not accepted, while the 14/26 point version was.

Thought plurality had become an added feature to this grand journey.
                      Just send Stephen an e-mail about the missing plural and he'll probably fix it or tell you why it's not valid.

Comment

Just send Stephen an e-mail about the missing plural and he'll probably fix it or tell you why it's not valid.
                        Thanks.

Hate to bother him. It is what it is.

And it's likely a failure in spelling or typing skills.

Not to mention, what would the world be without something to complain about?

Since I don't have your long-word skills, was curious if you've noticed an incongruity between number of long words available and actual long/high point words that actually are long/high point words to aspire for.

Just played a game with dozens (40 plus) of "ultra rare" 7+ letter words, where the best find was 8 letters/12 points. Thought that would be easy to exceed-- with that many opportunities.

Finally just dumped it cause I got distracted/obsessed with WhereTF is a better word--and would never make up the lost time. Found several 8/12's, but...

While there are other games where there's a 16/30 ish with nothing else of note.

Comment

• I found it. Took me two minutes, easily. In retrospect, I should have found it much more quickly. I agree; if that singular is acceptable, the plural really has to be.

Comment

Thanks.

Hate to bother him. It is what it is.

And it's likely a failure in spelling or typing skills.

Since I don't have your long-word skills, was curious if you've noticed an incongruity between number of long words available and actual long/high point words that actually are long/high point words to aspire for.

Just played a game with dozens (40 plus) of "ultra rare" 7+ letter words, where the best find was 8 letters/12 points. Thought that would be easy to exceed-- with that many opportunities.

Finally just dumped it cause I got distracted/obsessed with WhereTF is a better word--and would never make up the lost time. Found several 8/12's, but...
                            After the dictionary upgrade, I wrote something about a similar situation on 1 of Stephen's threads. He rectified the problem I pointed out and also about a dozen others (I think. It's what I recall.) I was unaware of.

Yes, since the new games release I have a new paradigm about which games to take on. A plethora of ultra-rare words is no guarantee of a long word worth keeping. If I start a game, I give it a quick look over. If I don't see any word fragments that may lead to a quality long word, I dump the game. Of course, having analyzed tens of thousands of games has enabled me to have that ability. Even if there are some promising word fragments and I don't find anything fairly soon (roughly in the first minute), I also dump the game. I may make mistakes sometimes but overall I trust my training. When the new games first came out, like you I tried finding something worthwhile for some time and often wound up with a low scoring word with lots of letters.

Comment

• Although I never saw or heard this word before I found it, it has since become 1 of my favorite WordTwist finds. When I first saw it, I thought, "No, that couldn't be, could it?" It could. TOPSYTURVIFICATION (34/18) After I submitted the game, I clicked the lexic.us link. It was so confused by the word that it suggested maybe I was looking for toponarcosis. lol

Comment

Although I never saw or heard this word before I found it, it has since become 1 of my favorite WordTwist finds. When I first saw it, I thought, "No, that couldn't be, could it?" It could. TOPSYTURVIFICATION (34/18) After I submitted the game, I clicked the lexic.us link. It was so confused by the word that it suggested maybe I was looking for toponarcosis. lol
                                Crazy, funny word.

Sort of a self-implicating word.

Pretty sure that if I had an hour I wouldn't have found it. Somewhat glad it's in the 5x5's because I'd have felt guilty finding it now.

kudos

Comment

Working...
                                X