Achievements and Accomplishments Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    Congratulations on your writing. Mine was once something to envy. I can't write any more, really can't write normal handwriting. I have trouble printing, and can write reasonably normal text only left-handed and as a mirror-image (and then slowly). I used to keep notebooks, too. I think what's really bothering me is the thought that I'm close to not being able to type any more, either. Of the new words you mentioned, I didn't know "rosit, rosits, rosti, rostis" but I knew the rest. My problem is not that I don't know enough words, it's being able to see them -- and then to type them. I think my problems are motor-type problems, but I'm scared to death that they're early indications of something more serious. Welcome to being 75, I guess.
    I always envy beautiful penmanship. Mine is basically chicken scratch. When I retired and started helping my wife in her kindergarten class, I was embarrassed that I couldn't print letters that the kids could distinguish. I had to work hard to make it legible.

After Vietnam, I felt lucky to be alive and in one piece. Lot of people I fought with weren't so lucky. Lot of lost lives. Lost hands. Lost legs. Lost minds. I know the end is coming, but for me, the end was over fifty years ago, and I got a reprieve. Each year is extra.

So many things I can't do that I once could. Sometimes I feel like the Black Knight in Monty Python's "Holy Grail:" completely oblivious to the damage done and obsessively fighting on.

When I started getting arthritis pain in my knees 20 years ago, walking was painful. My doctor gave me the best advice. He said that I should try to walk normally, as if there wasn't pain. Muscle and neural memories would reinforce the pain or not, depending on my approach. So instead of allowing my body to function in pain mode, where it was constantly bracing for pain, I kept reinforcing normalcy. When I got up from a chair and it hurt, I'd sit back down and keep getting up until it was smooth and not painful.

We used to practice some of that in martial arts. You learn to direct the energy through and away. When a person gets hit, the body tenses up and fights against the pain and damage. But, you can train your body to allow the energy to to flow through with minimal resistance. There are probably videos on Youtube of a particular martial arts school where the guys get punched in the throat or kicked in the kawhompsas without damage.

Physical therapy seems to be basically a method of teaching your body preferred muscle/neural memories. But sometimes the damage won't lend itself to improvement.

Hopefully, science will find answers to those more serious things we fear as we age.

Comment

• Naboka: I was drafted and sent to Korea instead of Vietnam. I was there for 13 months, starting in October of 1966. Most of the time I was company clerk at a MASH unit near the DMZ. We had a helipad with quonset huts instead of tents, and there were fewer than 50 people there when I arrived, more than half of them doctors and nurses. I didn't face combat, and went up to the DMZ only a few times. But we saw the results of combat, and of landmines. I am glad I didn't have that combat experience, and I'm glad you made it out. I knew guys who didn't.

Comment

• আমি আপনার প্রশ্ন পড়েছি. এই প্রশ্নের উত্তর ইতিমধ্যেই OBOHITO নামের ফোরামে দেওয়া হয়েছে। এটি বাংলা ভাষায় লেখা প্রথম এবং বৃহত্তম ব্লগ এবং ফোরাম ওয়েব সাইট। এখানে obohito এর লিঙ্ক: https://obohito.com/

এছাড়াও আপনি OBOHITO ফোরামে যেকোনো প্রশ্ন জিজ্ঞাসা করতে পারেন। আপনি আপনার নিজস্ব নিবন্ধ জমা দিতে পারেন যেমন: চিকিৎসা ও স্বাস্থ্য, ভ্রমণের জায়গা, ব্যাংকিং, তথ্য প্রযুক্তি, আইনি সমস্যা, শিক্ষা ও সাধারণ জ্ঞান, সাংস্কৃতিক শিক্ষা,সম্পর্ক উন্নয়ন . এই সাইটটি বাংলায় লেখা তাই আপনি যদি বাংলা পড়তে না পারেন। অনুগ্রহ করে GOOGLE এর ভাষা রূপান্তর টুল ব্যবহার করে ভাষাটি রূপান্তর করুন

English: I have read your query. This question is already answered in a forum named OBOHITO. This is the first and largest Blog and Forum website written in the Bangla language. Also, you can ask any question in the forum of OBOHITO.COM You can also submit your own article. This site is written in Bangla so if you are unable to read Bangla. Please convert the language using the language conversion tool of GOOGLE(https://translate.google.com/)

Comment

Congratulations on your writing. Mine was once something to envy. I can't write any more, really can't write normal handwriting. I have trouble printing, and can write reasonably normal text only left-handed and as a mirror-image (and then slowly). I used to keep notebooks, too. I think what's really bothering me is the thought that I'm close to not being able to type any more, either. Of the new words you mentioned, I didn't know "rosit, rosits, rosti, rostis" but I knew the rest. My problem is not that I don't know enough words, it's being able to see them -- and then to type them. I think my problems are motor-type problems, but I'm scared to death that they're early indications of something more serious. Welcome to being 75, I guess.
          If you have difficulty writing or typing you can buy a program where you can speak the words you'd like to use. Computer are wonderful things for the disabled. I had a friend, many years ago who was blind, he had a talking computer & he was a wiz @ it. My father who had Parkinson's learned computers in his 80's & was eager to know more. I know age effects people in different ways so I don't know if your disabilities are because of your age or illness. I do know there's assistance available, you just have to find it.

Comment

• I scored over 1000 points (1004) on a board and had fewer than 160 words (157). That will likely never happen again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brisul View Post
              I scored over 1000 points (1004) on a board and had fewer than 160 words (157). That will likely never happen again.
              Wow! Don't play the 5x5, so don't know how the words average, but that's over 6 and a quarter per word. Impressive.

Comment

• Naboka, you have gotten much better. The new year better watch out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka
                  This is starting to be a very good Wordtwist day.

WTG, Naboka. Congrats, and Happy New Year!

Comment

• HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!! Can't believe I landed on a 50 pt word at the beginning of the year - let's hope it's a good omen for 2022. Wishing all of you a year where boggle is only one of many many delightful realities.

Comment

• Happy New Year to you, mdyak (and everyone else).

Congrats to folkslinger on getting the gold in 5x5 APPW. Welcome back to the games.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post

WTG, Naboka. Congrats, and Happy New Year!
                        Speaking of...

This was the very first game I played today (only game so far) on the 5X5 grid, so I'm going to take it as a good 2022 WordTwist sign. I know there's some 25-letter word that lalatan will amazingly find and the big fish will definitely best the high scores. I'm just taking it as a good sign. I also bested my all-time high score. Happy playing!

Total points: 670 New record!
                        Total words: 107 (35 common,7 wide,12 rare,53 ultra rare) New record!
                        Best word: RESTLESSNESSES (26 pts.) New record!
                        Longest word: RESTLESSNESSES (14 letters) New record!

Comment

Speaking of...

This was the very first game I played today (only game so far) on the 5X5 grid, so I'm going to take it as a good 2022 WordTwist sign. I know there's some 25-letter word that lalatan will amazingly find and the big fish will definitely best the high scores. I'm just taking it as a good sign. I also bested my all-time high score. Happy playing!

Wowser! A good sign indeed.

Comment

Speaking of...

I believe I played that same board later. I exceeded none of your scores, though I thought I did well. If I remember correctly, I scored about 120 points less with five fewer words, and didn't find anything close to as long as the word you found. So you thrashed me pretty convincingly. I look forward to you topping my high score mark, too (756, so you don't have to look it up). To me, the most impressive thing about your score is the average points per word. You did very well indeed!

Comment

I believe I played that same board later. I exceeded none of your scores, though I thought I did well. If I remember correctly, I scored about 120 points less with five fewer words, and didn't find anything close to as long as the word you found. So you thrashed me pretty convincingly. I look forward to you topping my high score mark, too (756, so you don't have to look it up). To me, the most impressive thing about your score is the average points per word. You did very well indeed!
                              Oh wow! Thank you very much for the reply, and the kind words/encouragement. I'm hoping to be apart of the 700 club in both the 4X4 and 5X5 games some day. Thanks again, and happy playing!

Comment

• Ooh I hit my goal again! Match some crazy longest word set by lalatan or another top notch player, and also get high score. woohoo!

Looks like I'll have to up my goal... maybe add "games with over 30 players" or something.
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X