Achievements and Accomplishments Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mdyak View Post

You are totally amazing and inspiring! I definitely continue to be inspired by what you do!

I'm familiar with triskaidekaphobics... what's the frigga part??
    relating to Friday, aka a fear of Friday the 13th

Comment

• Has anyone ever placed in the top ten in both average score and average points per word?

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
        Has anyone ever placed in the top ten in both average score and average points per word?
        I have done it just once. In Feb 2016 for 5 x 5 I placed 7th in total points, 8th in average points per word, 1st in average score. However, I don't think it counts. I think that was the month that a bunch of the games got wiped out towards the end of the month so people were scrambling to play or others just gave up. The second highest average points per word month placing for me is 21st, so you can tell I'm not even close to top ten otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by fasteddieb View Post

I have done it just once. In Feb 2016 for 5 x 5 I placed 7th in total points, 8th in average points per word, 1st in average score. However, I don't think it counts. I think that was the month that a bunch of the games got wiped out towards the end of the month so people were scrambling to play or others just gave up. The second highest average points per word month placing for me is 21st, so you can tell I'm not even close to top ten otherwise.
          I figured you were a top candidate after reading Lalatan's response that said you must know a lot of higher scoring words.

Looking through everyone's stats just seems too tedious, so thought I'd take the lazy way and just ask.

Comment

• Naboka, congratulations on being in the top 10 in average score and points per word. 5.4 points per word while playing the number of games that you do is quite impressive. Good luck in what ever your goals are for this month.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyb View Post
              Naboka, congratulations on being in the top 10 in average score and points per word. 5.4 points per word while playing the number of games that you do is quite impressive. Good luck in what ever your goals are for this month.
              Thanks, Dannyb.

Your earlier post about making a run at 500 inspired the effort. Wouldn't have considered it otherwise.

Of course, had to dump lots of games to do it. (trying longer scientific/mathematical/medical terms here can be boom or bust.)

So, like most high average scores, it's a bit misleading.

A bit of a cheat.

But, hey, that's how it's played here, so...

(my goals this month: enjoy being outside more, and harvest the cantaloupe and watermelon we planted.)

Comment

• Naboka, since you were about a half way through the month (in June) I thought that you would take a stab at 500 point average this month. You had to pull your average up from the mid 460s. That was a lot of ground to make up.

Enjoy the melons! Have you ever had a tomato and watermelon salad? Try some saffron risotto with roasted broccoli, and finish it with torn prosciutto and diced cantaloupe.

Comment

Naboka, congratulations on being in the top 10 in average score and points per word. 5.4 points per word while playing the number of games that you do is quite impressive. Good luck in what ever your goals are for this month.
                  I agree! That is a noteworthy achievement. Congrats!
                  (Admittedly I was unaware that it has been done very little or not all until after fasteddieb's reply to your question.)

Comment

Naboka, since you were about a half way through the month (in June) I thought that you would take a stab at 500 point average this month. You had to pull your average up from the mid 460s. That was a lot of ground to make up.

Enjoy the melons! Have you ever had a tomato and watermelon salad? Try some saffron risotto with roasted broccoli, and finish it with torn prosciutto and diced cantaloupe.
                    Sounds like you're a gourmet.

Haven't tried those. Will look up recipes for watermelon/tomato salad.

The wife doesn't like saffron, but... I do. So, I'll give it a shot.

We do roast a lot of vegetables. Aspargus, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, sweet and other potatoes. Roasting sweet potatoes, red onions, cauliflower and black beans makes a tasty meal--if spiced to your tastes.

She's a lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Who loves grilled cheese.

So last night I sauteed lots of onions and garlic in olive oil then added butter to the mix as a frying base. The sandwich was layered with pesto, havarti, tomatoes and then another thin layer of shredded 3 cheeses. (Costco.) Gotta balance the amount of cheese or blah.

Cooked them on one side, removed them, sprinkled more cheese and butter to the skillet, flipped the sandwiches back into the skillet.

(Sometimes I throw a bit of mustard into the skillet for that last flip.)

We've also added some of the vegetarian/gluten free burgers to the menu. Cooked and seasoned correctly, they can be delicious. You just have to include the buns in the cooking process rather than leaving them as an afterthought.

Comment

• Finally.

Finally.

Finally.

Wordtwist bucket list.

Crossed the last accessible player from the 4x4 high-average-score pantheon whose individual-game high score I've never topped.

Accessible, in the sense that I've never ever seen a game show up in 4x4 played by Thunderock.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                        I agree! That is a noteworthy achievement. Congrats!
                        (Admittedly I was unaware that it has been done very little or not all until after fasteddieb's reply to your question.)
                        Thanks.

Didn't know it hadn't been done much either until it dawned on me the diametrically opposed goals each tends to represent.

Fortunately, caught a down month in the average-points-per-word competition where some big names were absent. Including you. Otherwise...
                        Last edited by Naboka; 07-01-2022, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Good eats, folks! We are having local beans with our own garlic, green onions, tatsoi and I'm not sure what all else tonight. Picked 2 quarts of blackcap raspberries yesterday and today. Picked 10 lbs of garlic scapes this week, more to go. The soft necks are letting us know it is time to dig them. I'm making lettuce soup tomorrow to freeze (what else do you do with 20 lbs of lettuce?). One of our co-op producer members is bringing about 80 lbs of greens and herbs to our kitchen Sunday, so we have a busy week ahead. Gotta love summertime!

Comment

• Originally posted by JedMedGrey View Post
                            Good eats, folks! We are having local beans with our own garlic, green onions, tatsoi and I'm not sure what all else tonight. Picked 2 quarts of blackcap raspberries yesterday and today. Picked 10 lbs of garlic scapes this week, more to go. The soft necks are letting us know it is time to dig them. I'm making lettuce soup tomorrow to freeze (what else do you do with 20 lbs of lettuce?). One of our co-op producer members is bringing about 80 lbs of greens and herbs to our kitchen Sunday, so we have a busy week ahead. Gotta love summertime!
                            Lettuce in soup is yummy. You can also add lettuce when you make fish. I usually fry my fish with about a tablespoon of olive oil & then just before its finished, I add the leafy part of the lettuce on top & cover with the lid, to steam it. It wilts & adds a unique flavor to the meal.

BTW I was feeling lazy this evening so I had a naval orange for dinner. I feel lucky that they are still available. I love that in June & July there's plentiful fruits including those out-of-season.

And ... Naboka ... I haven't had prosciutto in so long, yum its so delicious! A decadent treat! Congrats!

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

The wife doesn't like saffron, but... I do. So, I'll give it a shot.

That could be a case of too much saffron. Too much saffron, to me, has a "medicinal" taste. Some people do like that though.

Comment

That could be a case of too much saffron. Too much saffron, to me, has a "medicinal" taste. Some people do like that though.
                                Balance and measure in all things.

I tend to overdo most things, including applying spice to meals.

Ps:

least vanity
                                swell
                                foursquare
                                reality doth strike
                                a light
                                to fallibility

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 7.05.08 PM.png

thought you'd like to see that despite all the improvements, I still come up short against you

Comment

Working...
                                X