No announcement yet.

Achievements and Accomplishments Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th time this month I've walked off and didn't quit the game.

Or is 5?

Getting really good at it.

Maybe I'll try for 10.

You've got to have goals .

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 8.08.29 PM.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
      4th time this month I've walked off and didn't quit the game.

Or is 5?

Getting really good at it.

Maybe I'll try for 10.

You've got to have goals.
      Only 4 or 5 for the month? I think I've had 3-4 in a day. I never counted beyond the daily total of games that timed out due to phone calls, texts, people talking to me and just plain distraction and forgetfulness. I think I must have at least 20/month. Sorry, I hope my boasting hasn't sapped your aspiration about going for your goal of 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
        Only 4 or 5 for the month? I think I've had 3-4 in a day. I never counted beyond the daily total of games that timed out due to phone calls, texts, people talking to me and just plain distraction and forgetfulness. I think I must have at least 20/month. Sorry, I hope my boasting hasn't sapped your aspiration about going for your goal of 10.
        You ever watch a large inflatable slowly sink as the air leaves?

Just when the unthinkable seems attainable, the attainable becomes unthinkable.

Used to be that discovering an unintentionally timed-out game was such a crushing defeat.

Now, it's just cracks me up.

Hope things are going well with you. And that you find things to be thankful for.

Comment

• Found a 25-letter word, 50+ score playing 5X5. First time for both. Happy Thanksgiving, all and happy playing.

Games Played: 60 games
          Total Points: 37820 points
          Average Score: 630.333 points
          Average Words: 110.183 words
          Average Pts/Wd: 5.721 pts
          Most Words: 136 words
          Highest Score: 783 points
          Best Word: QUINQUAGINTACENTILLIONTHS (52)
          Longest Word: QUINQUAGINTACENTILLIONTHS (25)
          Current Records Held
          Highest Score: 644 records held
          Most Words: 506 records held
          Best Word: 248 records held
          Longest Word: 211 records held

Comment

• Congratulations! All your averages and your bests beat mine. Every single one of them! The only things I beat you on are due to the number of years I've been playing. And those records will fall, too, I'm sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
              Congratulations! All your averages and your bests beat mine. Every single one of them! The only things I beat you on are due to the number of years I've been playing. And those records will fall, too, I'm sure.
              Thank you very much! Have fun playing.

Comment

• captures_chrome-capture-2022-10-29.png
                Started October with the goal of breaking 700 and finally got it

Comment

• My first time getting over 1,000 points in a single game. <3

Comment

• Just set a new all-time high of 781 points (old record was 756). When I set the record before, I needed 136 words. This time, I needed 112. That's a good thing, because I thought I was really flying. But I made a bunch of typos. If I could get those straightened out, perhaps I could get 800 before my fingers stop working. My 76th birthday was on the 13th, and on the 14th I was playing WordTwist and two of my knuckles started hurting a whole lot. I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                      Just set a new all-time high of 781 points (old record was 756). When I set the record before, I needed 136 words. This time, I needed 112. That's a good thing, because I thought I was really flying. But I made a bunch of typos. If I could get those straightened out, perhaps I could get 800 before my fingers stop working. My 76th birthday was on the 13th, and on the 14th I was playing WordTwist and two of my knuckles started hurting a whole lot. I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.
                      Sympathy for you.

Been experiencing the same thing with the fingers.

Playing 2 minutes is hard enough. 3 minutes? Ain't happening.

Mostly, I've settled into playing 30 seconds or less, just for the brain exercise. If things are going well, the game gets finished. If not, the fingers are happy.

ps: And then you get to the top of the mountain, look out, and realize the view was worth the pain.

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 8.31.29 AM.png
                      Last edited by Naboka; 12-16-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Sympathy for you.

Been experiencing the same thing with the fingers.
                        my sympathy to you both! i have pretty bad repetitive strain damage in my fingers and hands from many years of lots of keyboarding (and not always being great about my ergonomics). that makes it difficult to play WordTwist for speed, so i focus on finding long and best words.

i just hit a personal milestone this week... 10,000 longest-word records on 4x4 :-)

10000.png

Comment

• Originally posted by John13verse34 View Post

my sympathy to you both! i have pretty bad repetitive strain damage in my fingers and hands from many years of lots of keyboarding (and not always being great about my ergonomics). that makes it difficult to play WordTwist for speed, so i focus on finding long and best words.

i just hit a personal milestone this week... 10,000 longest-word records on 4x4 :-)

10000.png
                          Congrats on the ten grand. That's a lot of work.

Sympathize with you also.

Seeing your name or lalatan's usually means the best and longest words are out of reach. But studying the letter placements and word elements involved, and imagining how you guys recognized them makes finding such words in the future easier.

Hope you're enjoying all the new words. Certainly is a lot less frustrating now trying to type in some long, esoteric word and getting nothing.

ps: just found a game where you got a 16/33. A good example of how the letters weave across the board. But, it took over a minute to work it out, so had to dump the board. Certainly wouldn't have found it if you hadn't demonstrated a 16/33 was sitting there.

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 5.38.10 AM.png

Last edited by Naboka; 12-17-2022, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the ten grand. That's a lot of work.
                            Thanks! :-D

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                            Seeing your name or lalatan's usually means the best and longest words are out of reach. But studying the letter placements and word elements involved, and imagining how you guys recognized them makes finding such words in the future easier.
                            I've learned a lot from lalatan's boards. i also like to scan the best and longest word award lists at the end of each month to get ideas for words and patterns :-)

Hope you're enjoying all the new words. Certainly is a lot less frustrating now trying to type in some long, esoteric word and getting nothing.
                            It's been very enjoyable!

ps: just found a game where you got a 16/33. A good example of how the letters weave across the board. But, it took over a minute to work it out, so had to dump the board. Certainly wouldn't have found it if you hadn't demonstrated a 16/33 was sitting there.
                            I've always hoped that my long words help give other players something fun to shoot for :-)

Comment

In order to get a good feel on the new boards with umpteen ultra-rare words available I waited to weigh in on the topic. My experience is there are so many promising pieces of words that it's more difficult to find one with enough pts to warrant keeping the record. The majority of time the best word available is worth <24 pts. My opinion is confirmed by the plethora of game stats where the best word is <=24 pts with an ultra-rare word count of over 50 9+ letters. I have played many of those games to see if the record holder missed the best word but almost always they found the best one available. So, although the new boards are a boon to speed players intent on achieving new personal bests, for me they sap my desire to find long words because there are so many boards that come up with nothing significant. I've found many new long words, which make it more interesting, but don't want to spend so much time clicking through so many games.

John13verse34, congrats on reaching 10k long word records!

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                                In order to get a good feel on the new boards with umpteen ultra-rare words available I waited to weigh in on the topic. My experience is there are so many promising pieces of words that it's more difficult to find one with enough pts to warrant keeping the record. The majority of time the best word available is worth <24 pts. My opinion is confirmed by the plethora of game stats where the best word is <=24 pts with an ultra-rare word count of over 50 9+ letters. I have played many of those games to see if the record holder missed the best word but almost always they found the best one available. So, although the new boards are a boon to speed players intent on achieving new personal bests, for me they sap my desire to find long words because there are so many boards that come up with nothing significant. I've found many new long words, which make it more interesting, but don't want to spend so much time clicking through so many games.

John13verse34, congrats on reaching 10k long word records!
                                That's interesting. Are you finding that on the 4x4 boards also?

Since the longest/best word isn't my balliwick, the influx of so many 6-12 letter words that weren't included has been a bit exciting.

But, in practical terms, they're not producing higher total points: 100 7-point-words produces the same result regardless of which ones are used. 100x7 will always result in 700, regardless whether it's 700 apples or 700 dust motes.

To avoid inflammation, I purposely try to keep the word totals under 110. Just an easy pace. So, it's common to leave known but unplayed valuable words. Doesn't matter if the unplayed words total 2 or 20, they're still unplayed, worth zero.

My scores are a bit lower on average because the new words act as individual units rather than part of a larger automatic feed. Slows things down until the new ones act as part of automatic groupings. Difference between firing automatic vs semi-automatic weapons.

Stephen did note when introducing the new games and new words, they aren't going to change much for most players.

As long as someone is benefitting, it's probably a good thing. It would be interesting to see a benefit distribution graph. It'd probably be basically flat until around the 95th percentile, then begin an accelerating increase.

Like most economies, the upper couple of percent benefit the most. It's just that this is an economy of words rather than dollars.

Comment

Working...
                                X