Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Wow! That's impressive.

Good thing you're channeling YOUR INNER WHATEVER cause that other guy hasn't come anywhere near that much.
    This is 5 x 5, so I'm sure you'd surpass it. It might take you a day or two, but that would be all. It would be nice to have a records category (most points per word average) for people who played at least 20 words per board, more than 50, etc. But now we're going into "who would PLAY that?" territory.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

This is 5 x 5, so I'm sure you'd surpass it. It might take you a day or two, but that would be all. It would be nice to have a records category (most points per word average) for people who played at least 20 words per board, more than 50, etc. But now we're going into "who would PLAY that?" territory.
      Maybe this guy

3c620e31-c2d4-48ed-9b0c-f99349426e38-219017718.jpeg

or this

shovel-Weird-Sports-You-Probably-Never-New-Existed-2916994546.jpeg

or him

Weird-Sports-You-Probably-Never-New-Existed-3352297982.jpeg

or them

bed-racing-Weird-Sports-You-Probably-Never-New-Existed-1521819981.jpeg

As George Mallory said, "because it's there--but, damn it, I sure wish it wasn't now that there is here, and I just lost my toes."

Comment

It would be nice to have a records category (most points per word average) for people who played at least 20 words per board, more than 50, etc. But now we're going into "who would PLAY that?" territory.
        That's quite an APPW achievement while playing 64 words. Congrats! I'd probably give the 20 words/game version a go...

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
          That's quite an APPW achievement while playing 64 words. Congrats! I'd probably give the 20 words/game version a go...
          Come to think of it, how about "fewest words to 100, 200, 300 . . . 1000 points". So I'd have the (temporary) record for 64 words to 700+ points. And no, I couldn't go back and say that I'd take off some low point words and make it 60 words to 700+ points. I got what I got at the end of the game. I'm pretty sure lalatan has the record for 100 points already, with 3 words. But that was back before all the fancy number names happened, so maybe someone can do it in two now. Should we start a new thread for this? What should it be called? Someone will have the perfect name, and his name isn't mine.

Comment

• Scores are up, but it's not a sign that the games are any easier. These new boards with the thousands of words have been a great addition to the selection! This past month's 5x5 high scores finishers saw six players with over 1000 point averages for the month...which was awesome! But I don't think it means the boards have gotten any easier. There are just finally that many more games to play which feature super high scoring boards and it's been really great!

Comment

Come to think of it, how about "fewest words to 100, 200, 300 . . . 1000 points". So I'd have the (temporary) record for 64 words to 700+ points. And no, I couldn't go back and say that I'd take off some low point words and make it 60 words to 700+ points. I got what I got at the end of the game. I'm pretty sure lalatan has the record for 100 points already, with 3 words. But that was back before all the fancy number names happened, so maybe someone can do it in two now. Should we start a new thread for this? What should it be called? Someone will have the perfect name, and his name isn't mine.
              You got me curious so I had a look in my records set file. I've played 4 different boards where 2 words totaled over 100. To get to 200, I had to play a minimum of 5 words (2 boards contained 4 words worth 196 pts). 300 pts was reached with 7 words. I was the first to breach all those thresholds since I was the first to find a 50, 52 and 54 pt word. Subsequently, I played all the variants of that word when I found the highest value word.

I'm not going to list any of those words because, as Naboka said, the spectacular soon becomes the mundane in this game. I wouldn't bother starting a thread for it since numerous players have learned and played those words.

Comment

• This forum has drawn me out of only ever playing the boards. Beating lalatan is definitely an achievement, and I often skip over boards where lalatan has the highest score (unless it's a 45+ point board :-)). Today I was trawling through a few games and for no real reason took a shot at one of those games. Having been playing on and off since at least 2012, though my account says 2017, and only have a few of these:

Total points: 78
                Total words: 2 (0 common,0 wide,0 rare,2 ultra rare)
                Best word: PALAEOENVIRONMENTALLY (40 pts.) New record!
                Longest word: PALAEOENVIRONMENTALLY (21 letters) New record!

PUZZLE STATS:
                Played: 38 times
                Average Score: 182.9 points
                Average Words: 44.4 words
                High Score: 282 points by hughk
                Most Words: 72 words by monkeycat
                Best Word: PALEOENVIRONMENTALLY (38 pts) by lalatan
                Longest Word: PALEOENVIRONMENTALLY (20 letters) by lalatan

Sadly my hands don't let me type fast enough to ever go for a big score or tally of words, so I'm glad there's a category in which I can compete.

Comment

• It seems like these threads are dominated by the long word players but never the high scoring crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brisul View Post
                    It seems like these threads are dominated by the long word players but never the high scoring crowd.
                    I think this thread in particular started off as lalatan's personal achievements and accomplishments, and other long word players started comparing their own results to his.
                    But the "high-scoring crowd" in general seems to be less active in the forums than the long word hunters and the more casual players. Maybe they're just playing all the time, leaning no time to chat?

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                      John13verse34, I don't know if you'll see this post. Just to give you some feedback: while playing 4x4 for the last month, I tried to better your best/longest word records 10 times. The stats suggested there could be more. I couldn't surpass you until the 10th attempt. You found EVIDENCES (8/9) and I found COUNTEREVIDENCES (30/16). So, you're doing a great job of locking up the board with your finds. That's a difficult thing to do when pt values are low. I accidently beat another of your records when I manufactured DEXTROROTATIONS and it was accepted. I can't fault you for that one since I'd never seen or heard the word before I tried it.
                      Thanks for the callout, lalatan ! Always good to know about better words that I could have found :-D In general, I need to be more vigilant about looking for "COUNTER-" variations.

I snagged a 4x4 record from you this morning, which I consider a prime achievement :-)

lalatan.png

Comment

• Originally posted by crazykate View Post
                        I think this thread in particular started off as lalatan's personal achievements and accomplishments, and other long word players started comparing their own results to his.
                        Actually, this thread was started by Razorflame for everybody's use. My personal achievements thread was https://forum.puzzlebaron.com/forum/...-run-continued and it has been dormant since June 2022. I thought about replying to Brisul's post with "We talk more." But I clutter the forum too much already.

John13verse34, those things can happen, as you likely know. I know I've played the word you found before. About 2 weeks ago I found a word with parallel in it, something like PARALLELNESSES. As soon as I submitted the game, I saw un- I could have added. Stuff like that used to irk me but now I think it's only 2 records lost amongst tens of thousands gained. I wrote about how I was attempting to get out of competitive mode. Every day I say to myself this is just for fun. I think I'm making progress...
                        Last edited by lalatan; 02-04-2023, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• I can't speak for other players that prefer to go for high scores versus long words, but I don't post because it would feel too much like this.

anchorman.jpg

Comment

• [QUOTE=Master Of The Universe;n31886]I can't speak for other players that prefer to go for high scores versus long words, but I don't post because it would feel too much like this.

anchorman.jpg[/QUOTE

Good book for everyone to read: Rethinking Narcissism by Dr. Craig Malkin.

Nothing unhealthy about sharing one's success--or feeling really positive about oneself.

Being unable or unwilling to share one's success is probably problematic in itself.

Trouble, though, with sharing too much success comes resentment.

And who in their right mind wants to be resented?

As long as we're successful but not too successful, others can be happy for us.

Then you cross the threshold, and...

Strange world we live in.

Ps: Only playing for trophies has a bit of Burgandy somewhere in the mental hash. Lot of ego involved. Look at all the dumped boards lost trying to keep up a pretense. Playing the humble boards has its own merit. It's own challenge.

Comment

• Reminds me of that old joke: "I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect."

Comment

• Which reminds me of the old Mae West quote: "When I'm good, I'm very, very good. But when I'm bad, I'm better."

Comment

Working...
                                X