Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ROADABLE is a word.

    Apparently it applies specifically to aircraft that can be driven on roads (possibly with wings folded or detached), i.e. flying cars.

    Comment


    • Also, on a separate board, I surprisingly got points for HYPERMODESTNESSES (and HYPERMODEST and HYPERMODESTNESS).

      Comment


      • I just got COMPUTERITISES for 26 points. I did not expect it to be an actual word.
        It was on a board that had been played 22 times, with the longest word record held by the word "Computers". I managed to beat the total words record by 1 word, the points total by nearly 90 points, and the best and longest word record with my new find. Wasn't expecting that!
        Here's the definition according to the dictionary:

        ​​
        Definition of Computeritis


        1. Noun. (informal humorous) Any ailment relating to or caused by computers, such as carpal tunnel syndrome.

        Comment


        • Even though "turnless" doesn't count... PORNLESS does.

          Comment


          • There may be megamalls, but apparently there's no such thing as a MICROMALL.

            Comment


            • I believe I saw the term micromall used as a descriptor, years ago, for the Sterling Block-Bishop Arcade located in Bridgeport Ct.

              Comment


              • Here's one for the mathematicians and/or wordsmiths.

                Just saw this definition in Lexic:

                Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 5.56.51 AM.png
                ????

                Any idea why it wasn't simply defined as the cardinal number nine?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                  Here's one for the mathematicians and/or wordsmiths.

                  Just saw this definition in Lexic:

                  Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 5.56.51 AM.png
                  ????

                  Any idea why it wasn't simply defined as the cardinal number nine?
                  An ennead is a group of nine. Like the ennead of Egyptian gods. The number nine, way back in the day, was considered to be very special, even magical.

                  Comment


                  • It's not so much mathematics as Pythagorean numerology, from what I can see. As dannyb says, the different numbers have their own attrributes (aside from just letting you be able to count with them). There seems to be an emphasis on how each number can be represented, hence the eight plus one.
                    Last edited by Spike1007; 02-25-2024, 01:46 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Maybe it's like the sun god ra as #1 and then eight offspring, a lesser eight?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post
                        Even though "turnless" doesn't count... PORNLESS does.
                        Evidently, it's also possible to be "toadless" but not to be "roadless." Surely in many rural/natural areas, roadlessness is more common than toadlessness.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Boulevardiere View Post

                          Evidently, it's also possible to be "toadless" but not to be "roadless." Surely in many rural/natural areas, roadlessness is more common than toadlessness.
                          Some places in Greenland are both roadless and toadless. Btw, my phone's spell check underlines "toadless" but not "roadless", seeming to think that the latter is a genuine word while the former isn't.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by crazykate View Post

                            Some places in Greenland are both roadless and toadless. Btw, my phone's spell check underlines "toadless" but not "roadless", seeming to think that the latter is a genuine word while the former isn't.
                            I swear I have seen "roadless" used many times to describe remote and unvisited places (some near my birthplace). Synonyms include "trackless", "untrammeled", and "pathless".

                            Comment


                            • I did not expect to actually score points for MIRANDIZE -- I thought it was still considered only informal shorthand for giving the Miranda warning, not an actual English word.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post
                                I did not expect to actually score points for MIRANDIZE -- I thought it was still considered only informal shorthand for giving the Miranda warning, not an actual English word.
                                I guess you could also have "mirandized" and "mirandizing". I wonder if the z to s shift would be accepted, too.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X