The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    Play button? Mobile play button? I have no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you're playing on a smartphone or tablet, neither of which I have (and neither of which I know how to use, though I'll bet I could learn). Nothing has changed on my screen.
    It's funny, it was there yesterday (I only play on my desktop) and it's not there today. Glad it was just a glitch so I don't have to keep grumbling at myself for pressing the wrong button!

Comment

I just set records on two games in a row. In the first one I found CONTROVERSIALITIES (34) and in the second found CONTROVERSIALISTS (32). What are the odds?

Comment

Yes , the mobile play button was being shown on my desktop too. I hit it once, by accident, and a "landscape only" message came up. I was scratching my head for a few minutes

Comment

Here's a pair of words I didn't expect to count: MOFO and MOFOS.

Comment

lalatan When I posted that word INVENTIONAL about 7 months ago, it was more that I was incredulous that it was an actual word

Comment

PREPONDERATELY

-apparently means to be greater than something else, as in power, force, quantity, or importance.
              Found when building on PONDERATE

Comment

An interesting word that I brought up earlier: RIVALIZE...means to enter into a rivalry [with someone]

Comment

This was at least somewhat surprising... Today I got both PROLETARIANISING and BOURGEOISIFICATION. I guess WordTwist is trying to teach me about Marxism.

Comment

I am not an anthropologist ... yesterday I set a board record with NONANTHROPOLOGICAL (34 pts). Today set a record on a different board with NONANTHROPOLOGIST (32). Tomorrow I looking for NONANTHROPOLOGISM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonna View Post
                      I am not an anthropologist ... yesterday I set a board record with NONANTHROPOLOGICAL (34 pts). Today set a record on a different board with NONANTHROPOLOGIST (32). Tomorrow I looking for NONANTHROPOLOGISM.
                      That must be the most amazing thing when you find words that long. Is it still? Or has it become old hat for you by now? For me, I still get psyched every time I score over 1000 points in a game. I don't think that will ever get old.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisul View Post
                        That must be the most amazing thing when you find words that long. Is it still? Or has it become old hat for you by now? For me, I still get psyched every time I score over 1000 points in a game. I don't think that will ever get old.
                        It's still a thrill! Sometimes I'll find one in the first minute but more often I'm still scrambling to find something 20 seconds before the timer ends. I'm not quick -- my best score (5x5) was 587 -- so instead of trying to find lots of words, I look for the biggest one I can find. If you were willing to only find a few words and focus on the long ones you'd pick it up fast, but you probably wouldn't be scoring 1000 points any more!

Comment

It's still a thrill! Sometimes I'll find one in the first minute but more often I'm still scrambling to find something 20 seconds before the timer ends. I'm not quick -- my best score (5x5) was 587 -- so instead of trying to find lots of words, I look for the biggest one I can find. If you were willing to only find a few words and focus on the long ones you'd pick it up fast, but you probably wouldn't be scoring 1000 points any more!
                          Yeah, I only score over 1000 a few times per month, so it's magical enough for me to keep playing this style. However, now that I've got Fasteddieb, Megaword AND ThunderRock all competing in 5x5, it's starting to look like the best I can hope for is a 4th place finish! If it didn't kill my overall lifetime average, I'd consider switching to the long word style of play that you and the others do.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisul View Post
                            Yeah, I only score over 1000 a few times per month, so it's magical enough for me to keep playing this style. However, now that I've got Fasteddieb, Megaword AND ThunderRock all competing in 5x5, it's starting to look like the best I can hope for is a 4th place finish! If it didn't kill my overall lifetime average, I'd consider switching to the long word style of play that you and the others do.
                            You could do what Lalatan and Spike do and have two different usernames, one for longest and one for more normal play.

Comment

You could do what Lalatan and Spike do and have two different usernames, one for longest and one for more normal play.
                              I actually do have an alter ego that I haven't used in a few years. If I do use it, my style of play will have to be one or the other. It takes what limited time I have now to compile the 51 games needed to qualify.

Comment

I just played BLOODYMINDEDNESS (19/16)for the first time today. I assumed it was likely a word used in the UK. And it was but it seems it's also in use in North America. Never heard the word before. I guess phletbotomists are bloodyminded whenever they go to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X