The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
    By reading through the best words played lists in 4x4 this month I discovered QUICKSILVERIEST is worth 33 pts. So that seems to be the kingliest of -iest words.
    currerbell, I found another quite long -iest word for the first time this week: PEPPERMINTIEST (26/14). Can't say I ever used that 1 in a sentence before (same goes for QUICKSILVERIEST and MARSHMALLOWIEST until we wrote about them.)

I realized a while ago that the cats in your avatar are actually Siamese cats. I suppose it's very unusual that they're conjoined at the tail.
    Last edited by lalatan; 12-16-2021, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Okay. Here's a new one: EXTEMPORARINESSES. I just typed it because I was annoyed that extemporaneousnesses wasn't there - never thought it would actually fly!

Comment

• Good find, mdyak! Enjoy the games.
        Last edited by lalatan; 12-17-2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Don't you love it when a good word you've never seen before is a complete accident?

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 3.00.45 PM.png
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
            Don't you love it when a good word you've never seen before is a complete accident?

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 3.00.45 PM.png
            Right... and you have no idea whatsoever what it means, how you would ever use it, or if anyone has ever in human history spoken it out loutd!

Comment

• True, I like constructing a word (if there's no other word I can see) and then seeing if it's valid. Recently I tried POLYPLOID and it worked. Got the same board again days later and added allo-, a prefix I'd seen on other words. Presto, ALLOPOLYPLOIDS. Don't have clue what it means but it was fun getting it.

mdyak, I sent you a PM today.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Right... and you have no idea whatsoever what it means, how you would ever use it, or if anyone has ever in human history spoken it out loutd!
                actually looked it up on the Wordtwist reference dictionary. think it said something about a notch. Then looked it up again on line after seeing your post.

In botany "crena" means a tooth or notch in a crenate leaf. A crenate leaf having scalloped margins.

Were it not late fall, with trees bereft of foliage, I'd be scouting the back woods for samples.

Comment

• First time seeing a -nesses word get less than a -ness word.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 8.02.49 PM.png

Comment

• Originally posted by leabhar View Post

Where do you get those boards? I never see one like that. I already have to click over 10 times to get a playable one, let alone a dream board like that
                    Sorry for the *very* late response, I don't know if the number of boards like that has decreased since that purge a while back. I never thought of this, but would that be the longest rare word ever? I like to "collect" long rare words as I have found them to be more challenging than ultra rares. (Although I will gladly take an ultra rare)

Comment

• SYMPATHETOBLASTS (30/16): a cell destined to become a sympathetic neuron

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                        True, I like constructing a word (if there's no other word I can see) and then seeing if it's valid. Recently I tried POLYPLOID and it worked. Got the same board again days later and added allo-, a prefix I'd seen on other words. Presto, ALLOPOLYPLOIDS. Don't have clue what it means but it was fun getting it.

mdyak, I sent you a PM today.
                        I got autoallopolyploid

Comment

• indeed. Way to squeeze all the juice out of that one.
                          Last edited by lalatan; 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• overheard during afternoon food coma, Christmas Day (context, my father gave his grandsons a felt inlaid, brass initialed timber "keepsake" boxes). Me, "what are you going to put in your box, Nicholas?". Mimi (my Offspring 3), "the teeth of his victims...", Nicholas, "no...you never leave evidence".

I feel justified in thinking that we have bred weirdos. (although, I am not surprised).

On the exchange of "Buddy the Elf" gifts, the winning gifts were: 1. a Kim Kardashian calendar, 2. the classic travel guide, "S**t Towns of Australia", 3rd place: a trees ornament laser cut with, "There was more than one lobster at the birth of Jesus?".

Daniel made, from toothpicks and baby boccocini, a structure which represented "the stable for baby cheeses". babycheeses.jpg xnasbox.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

• Flops,

Beautiful boxes. Just love wooden boxes.

I'd get buried in a wooden box, but no one would be able to see how beautiful it was--and... creamation is soooo much cheaper.

Hope the Kardashian calender was done with the loathing disrespect appropriate for silk maggots.

"S**t Towns of Australia?" What a lovely idea.

Had not heard of lobsters referenced ever at that event, but... so much of history is distortion and lies.

Did wise individuals gather at the stable for baby cheeses?

-'

Comment

• Maybe this wasn't unexpected, or even strange or bizarre: I opened a box on Christmas morning and found a brass medallion on a red, white and blue ribbon. The medallion reads, "President of the More Time Than Good Sense Society." I am proudly wearing the medallion as I type this. President though? I didn't know there was an election. Don't tell Rudy Guliani or Mike Lindell or they might get Sidney Powell on my case.

Comment

Working...
                                X