No announcement yet.

The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always loved the cartoon of the guy lazing on the couch, looking up at his perturbed wife, and saying "I'm leader of the greatest nation on earth! Procrastination!"

Comment

• Sounds like a "Willy and Ethyl" cartoon. Yes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
        Don't you love it when a good word you've never seen before is a complete accident?

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 3.00.45 PM.png
        I'm a bit shocked that you do not use that word more often...

I'm just messin', but I can say the same thing about 95% of the ultra rare three-letter words I find.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
          Sounds like a "Willy and Ethyl" cartoon. Yes?
          Ooops... don't know who Willy and Ethyl are... after my time likely as nothing much was before other than the dinosaurs.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyb View Post
            Maybe this wasn't unexpected, or even strange or bizarre: I opened a box on Christmas morning and found a brass medallion on a red, white and blue ribbon. The medallion reads, "President of the More Time Than Good Sense Society." I am proudly wearing the medallion as I type this. President though? I didn't know there was an election. Don't tell Rudy Guliani or Mike Lindell or they might get Sidney Powell on my case.
            I think that qualifies for strange and bizarre, but would have to know your family to know if it qualifies as unexpected. I feel I may have been usurped though...

Noboka, the Lobster reference if from the Christmas classic, "Love Actually". (one of the children has a role in the school Nativity scene as "number 1 Lobster").

Comment

• Originally posted by floppers View Post

I think that qualifies for strange and bizarre, but would have to know your family to know if it qualifies as unexpected. I feel I may have been usurped though...

Noboka, the Lobster reference if from the Christmas classic, "Love Actually". (one of the children has a role in the school Nativity scene as "number 1 Lobster").
              We love that movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Ooops... don't know who Willy and Ethyl are... after my time likely as nothing much was before other than the dinosaurs.
                Willy 'n Ethyl is a current strip by Joe Martin, who lives one town over from us in Lake Geneva. He does that strip, plus Porterfield, Cats With Hands, and other stuff. If you look on line you can find references to see the last week or so of any of them. It sounds exactly like something he'd do. I think he's really funny, but then I have an odd sense of humor. I like pretty much everything he does. I prefer him to Dilbert or Garfield. I strongly recommend you check him out.

Comment

I always loved the cartoon of the guy lazing on the couch, looking up at his perturbed wife, and saying "I'm leader of the greatest nation on earth! Procrastination!"
                  I'd love to know who did this cartoon, it sounds like Gene Weingarten or Pickles by Brian Crane.

Comment

• Originally posted by walden123 View Post

Sorry for the *very* late response, I don't know if the number of boards like that has decreased since that purge a while back. I never thought of this, but would that be the longest rare word ever? I like to "collect" long rare words as I have found them to be more challenging than ultra rares. (Although I will gladly take an ultra rare)
                    Lalatan would KNOW. He's the King of S-U-P-E-R-L-O-N-G-W-O-R-D-S. I think its amazing the words he has stored in his brain.

BTW I just LOVE your avatar, is it a wren or a hummingbird?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

I'd love to know who did this cartoon, it sounds like Gene Weingarten or Pickles by Brian Crane.
                      Nope, none of the above. I dutifully went and checked everyone's suggestions, but nada... I have the clipping somewhere, so the answer exists in that same somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post
                        Lalatan would KNOW. He's the King of S-U-P-E-R-L-O-N-G-W-O-R-D-S. I think its amazing the words he has stored in his brain.
                        Thanks for the compliment, 2cute. Actually, I don't know. I focus on ultra-rare words since they have a higher pts bonus. I occasionally set a record with a "rare" word but don't pay much attention to its category as long as the length and pt value is good enough for me.

I found this today. It's always a good feeling to take on a game with 40 previous plays and still beat the best/longest record. I wonder if 40 plays is now the threshold to recycle games. I don't recall seeing anything higher than that recently.
                        30 PTS HEMOAGGLUTINATES WHT SCRN.jpg

Comment

Nope, none of the above. I dutifully went and checked everyone's suggestions, but nada... I have the clipping somewhere, so the answer exists in that same somewhere.
                          I still think it has to be by Joe Martin. My memory may be deceiving me, but I seem to remember that cartoon in Willy 'n Ethyl. It's exactly the kind of thing Willy would say to Ethyl.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

I still think it has to be by Joe Martin. My memory may be deceiving me, but I seem to remember that cartoon in Willy 'n Ethyl. It's exactly the kind of thing Willy would say to Ethyl.
                            Yeah, sort of... but I remember the characters very clearly, and they don't look anything like Willy or Ethyl. Sorry.

Comment

• This word made me lol when it was accepted. I almost talked myself out of even trying it but I reasoned the prefix was there for a reason: KLEPTOPARASITICAL (33/17). KLEPTOPARASITISM is defined as "Noun. The parasitic theft of captured prey, nest material, etc. from animals of the same or another species."

Comment

• Great word!

Comment

Working...
                                X