The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, 2cute. Actually, I don't know. I focus on ultra-rare words since they have a higher pts bonus. I occasionally set a record with a "rare" word but don't pay much attention to its category as long as the length and pt value is good enough for me.

I found this today. It's always a good feeling to take on a game with 40 previous plays and still beat the best/longest record. I wonder if 40 plays is now the threshold to recycle games. I don't recall seeing anything higher than that recently.
    30 PTS HEMOAGGLUTINATES WHT SCRN.jpg
    How could the game be played 40 times but each time only 1 word was found? Were all the other 39 players searching for just one word & it was you that found the longest?

Comment

• Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Nope, none of the above. I dutifully went and checked everyone's suggestions, but nada... I have the clipping somewhere, so the answer exists in that same somewhere.
      No problem, that's how it works out sometimes. Thanks for looking anyhow.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post
        How could the game be played 40 times but each time only 1 word was found? Were all the other 39 players searching for just one word & it was you that found the longest?
        More than 1 word was found by other players in the previous games. I cropped off the "Puzzle Stats" section to only show the games previously played. The rest of the stats shown are my stats for that game in the "Your Stats" section.

Comment

More than 1 word was found by other players in the previous games. I cropped off the "Puzzle Stats" section to only show the games previously played. The rest of the stats shown are my stats for that game in the "Your Stats" section.
          Ohhh, I see. Excellent cropping. I obviously couldn't tell you did that.

Comment

• I often like to take on the challenge of a board that has only 1 or 2 ultra-rare 9+ letters with no words in the 8 letter column. It's usually going to be some bizarre scientific word. I tried one yesterday and found a Frankenstein word: MECHANOENZYMATIC (33/16). It seems to me that the 2 halves should never be together but they are nevertheless valid when combined. MECHANOENZYME: (biochemistry) Any enzyme that converts chemical energy into mechanical energy and hence into movement. I learn something every day on this website...

Comment

I often like to take on the challenge of a board that has only 1 or 2 ultra-rare 9+ letters with no words in the 8 letter column. It's usually going to be some bizarre scientific word. I tried one yesterday and found a Frankenstein word: MECHANOENZYMATIC (33/16). It seems to me that the 2 halves should never be together but they are nevertheless valid when combined. MECHANOENZYME: (biochemistry) Any enzyme that converts chemical energy into mechanical energy and hence into movement. I learn something every day on this website...
              That is cool, thanks for sharing what your Frankenstein word meant.

Comment

• Whenever I think I've probably collected the full set of -heartednesses words I find something else. The previous 2 times it was ROUGHHEARTEDNESSES and then VACANTHEARTEDNESSES (never heard either one minus the -nesses before). Today it was WEAKHEARTEDNESSES. It's almost enough to make one fainthearted.

Edit: I just found a Frankenstein word: PHOTOACOUSTICALLY (32/17). photoacoustics: The emission of sound from a material illuminated by a modulated light source.
                Last edited by lalatan; 01-20-2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Edit: I just found a Frankenstein word: PHOTOACOUSTICALLY (32/17). photoacoustics: The emission of sound from a material illuminated by a modulated light source.[/QUOTE]

Maybe in a roundabout way connected to cymatics?

Comment

• Wow, I never heard of photoacoustics or cymatics til today. You could be right; seems like you're more knowledgeable than me on the subject.
                    Last edited by lalatan; 01-20-2022, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Wow, I never heard of photoacoustics or cymatics til today. You could be right; seems like you're more knowledgeable than me on the subject.
                      Nah, I'm no expert... just love cymatics. Check out YouTube videos - amazing and beautiful patterns created in sand and water and other substances just through the vibration of sound. Theories are that the frequencies of planets may also be creating patterns around them.

Comment

• I've done research with photoacoustics before, but cymatics is a new word to me. Photoacoustics is broader in application than I realized, and I missed out on some of the more beautiful/artistic applications. I would guess you could use a piezo actuator as a source for cymatics in many cases more easily than photoacoustics. Photoacoustics would be of more interest when you wanted to probe something remotely/noncontact or when what you wanted probe was dependent on some property of light such as wavelength.

Comment

Nah, I'm no expert... just love cymatics. Check out YouTube videos - amazing and beautiful patterns created in sand and water and other substances just through the vibration of sound. Theories are that the frequencies of planets may also be creating patterns around them.
                          Wow. Opened up a whole new world of...

Comment

That is some cool stuff. It seems composers don't have that many resonant frequencies to choose from. I had to laugh when the director in Nigel Stanford's video about the bass speaker said they found that frozen vodka had the best property for vibrating at 50 and 100 Hz. Made me wonder how many other liquids they tried (or what other liquors, haha).
                            It's always so ironic in sci-fi shows that the spaceship goes rumbling and roaring by with rockets blazing when in reality it would be totally quiet in the vacuum of outer space.

Comment

• Has anyone gotten "urgelessnesses?" My fumbly fingers got anxious so I couldn't get it in during that last seconds rush and was wondering if it would have counted.

Comment

• I never got it. I looked it up in Collin's and YAWL dictionaries. Not in either one so I doubt it was valid. SURGELESS was in YAWL but not Collin's.
                                I played another board with MALARIOLOGIES on it and set 2 records again. I came up w 3 other words you may find entertaining when you come across them.

Comment

Working...
                                X