Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Naboka;n30073]

Wow. Big fish. Great story.

Why DiMaggio? It's been decades since I've read Hemingway.

Santiago (the main character) loved DiMaggio it was his favorite baseball player AND the son of a fisherman. Santiago would talk to his protegee Manolin about "the great DiMaggio"

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

There certainly are some clever devils lurking here.

Imagine the clairovoyance needed to predict such an outcome through every deflection of energy and choice through time and space.

Simply amazing.

And then, to only pick such a humble word as a message.

Like finding a note in a bottle, washed to shore, and revealing a koan, which, once understood will bring Satori.

Who would have anticipated that the simple word "coursed" could change the...

the...

the...

course of one's life?
      I saved this screenshot of a game I played 2 months ago. My record was 10x the pt value of the previous record, a personal best. Why someone (likely the same user you cited) would play a game for 3 mins and only play 1 word worth 3 pts befuddled me. I did not even consider his choice of "tire" could be a message to humanity. A lack of imagination on my part I admit. Now I'm interested in how you will philosophize this one.
      10X MORE PTS POST.jpg

Comment

• Ah, when that player chose "tire" as their message, they were referring to weltschmerz. The feeling that physical reality can never match the aspirations of the mind. A world weariness.

Tire.

We're given tasks which seem endless, that have no meaning. We tire of them. The tasks stultify rather than inspire.

Gertrude Stein wrote on her paper when studying under William James that she had no interest in taking an exam in philosophy that day. For which James gave her an
        A.

She had tired of the tedium of examination as proof of her knowledge and inclinations. She had taken a philosophical position rather than a test.

Some days, playing Wordtwist can seem so meaningless. An endless exam. A hamster cage of challenge.

Literally meaningless, as we play so many words that mean nothing to us.

The player was merely emphasizing that they controlled the game rather than the game controlling them. By choosing that one word (and no more) they declared their ability to stop when they chose, rather than being a slave to clock or stats.

They had chosen enlightenment over task.

For them, the reward no longer came from the game.

Comment

• LOL, that's great stuff, Naboka.

Comment

• lalatan, here's a word that was overlooked on this board. Don't know if it's in your arsenal or not.

Monometers was the previous pick.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.04.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.04.29 AM.png

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              I saved this screenshot of a game I played 2 months ago. My record was 10x the pt value of the previous record, a personal best. Why someone (likely the same user you cited) would play a game for 3 mins and only play 1 word worth 3 pts befuddled me. I did not even consider his choice of "tire" could be a message to humanity. A lack of imagination on my part I admit. Now I'm interested in how you will philosophize this one.
              10X MORE PTS POST.jpg
              I think people play games while they are @ work as their jobs are boring & this keeps them awake. Maybe in your case, this person was in the middle of playing this game & either a coworker or the boss walked in & rather than just ending the game, they hid the screen behind the work screen, the game time ran out & that's why it ended w/such a low point total.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                lalatan, here's a word that was overlooked on this board. Don't know if it's in your arsenal or not.

Monometers was the previous pick.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.04.46 AM.png
                Negative, Naboka. I will store it in the cabinet now and hope I can retrieve it at the proper time. Thanks and good find! I've found ATMOMETERS, MONOMETERS and OSMOMETERS but not that one.

You and dannyb had some interesting encounters w marine life. A Vancouver Island kayaker was shooting a video of an orca that was approaching him. (I tried looking up the video again but couldn't find it.) It dove and went right under him. He was understandably very uneasy when that happened. While filming the underwater pass he was coaching it to move along in a subdued voice.

We rented a cottage right next to Northumberland Channel for 8 months. One day we saw 2 orcas swimming by. What a treat! They are huge animals!! About 2 weeks later we watched a gray whale and her calf go by. She made the orca look average-sized.
                Originally posted by 2cute View Post
                I think people play games while they are @ work as their jobs are boring & this keeps them awake. Maybe in your case, this person was in the middle of playing this game & either a coworker or the boss walked in & rather than just ending the game, they hid the screen behind the work screen, the game time ran out & that's why it ended w/such a low point total.
                That could be 2cute. Nobody knows but him. I saw one other game of his w the result being 1 4 pt word. He just joined WordTwist so could be trying things out.
                Last edited by lalatan; 06-27-2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Man...

sometimes...

learning a lot of words can bite you in the butte.

Playing this board, I tried fibrations and fibration. Twice. Mathematical mapping terms. Terms in Lexic.

But, either my typing is really bad,(which it often is) or the game doesn't accept them yet.

Sigh...

So close.

Skipping dozens of easy words for a gamble.

But, gambling is where the interesting finds lie.

The gold rush.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 8.46.56 PM.png

Comment

• Meanwhile, I'm chasing something I already achieved once: a perfect tie on every category for the previous best. Yesterday, I got the exact same number of words, the same best word and the same longest word. But the number of points wasn't a match -- I was about a hundred points higher. What made it perhaps easier was that the board had only been played twice before. But I've never heard that anyone else got a perfect match like that, before or since. Perhaps no one else thinks it's worth mentioning.

My term for this achievement is "the invisible game", because even though you were the highest/best/longest/most in everything, you will never be seen or mentioned for it.

Comment

• BTW.

Happy Tau Day!!!!!!!!!!!

Been celebrating by trying to create circles with an increasing enlistment of all the senses.

How does one create a cirlce with taste?

Glad you asked.

Comment

• REREPEAT and REREPEATS count!

Comment

• In Wisconsin, there is Racine, which shares a border with Kenosha to its south, which shares a border with Pleasant Prairie to its south. The total distance from Pleasant Prairie to Racine is perhaps ten or fifteen miles. I lived in Pleasant Prairie for 14 years and a bit, and went often to Racine; they have the O&H Danish Bakery which sells Danish Kringle. It is authentic Danish Kringle and it is excellent, but the price by mail order may be exorbitant.

So, in my neck of the woods, the phrase "has the cat got your tongue" was common about 150 years before I inhabited the place. But I have a problem. The first time I heard the phrase was from my maternal grandmother, who was born and raised in Cornwall, England. She would have uttered it about 1951. I thought it was odd, and I was a lad of four or perhaps as old as five. She told me that it was a common saying in Cornwall, which put it in England before she came to the USA in about 1910.

Amusing turns of phrase travel about as rapidly as lies, so it's not at all impossible for something to arise in bumpkin American in the middle 1800s and be common in England fifty years later. It just feels unlikely.

Comment

• OREOLOGIST(S) is accepted. The dictionary doesn't have a definition, although I'm pretty sure I've done field research in that discipline before.

Comment

• RODENTIAL sounds like insurance for mice, but it counts.

Comment

• One of the earliest words to go in my notebooks was "xyst." Years have gone by and never ran across it again until about a month ago.

Ran across it again today.

The fun part was the player holding the board's total words and points:

2xyster.

Everytime I see that name I think of xyst. Not that they have anything in common other than sequence of letters, but...

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 6.42.37 PM.png

Comment

Working...
                                X