Green on 50+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green on 50+

So, I'm not the fastest typist, nor do I find long words very often. So here's a new challenge: originality.

If you get a green word on a game that has been played 50+ times before, enter it here.

I just found UTERI on a game played 50 times before.

I like your idea. I have another to propose to the administrator: once a game has been played more than 30 times (or 40, or whatever), ANY word found that was not previously found should be counted as ultra-rare. It's pretty clear that some very common words are almost impossible to find in a particular board because of where they are or how the letters are arranged. Someone who finds them should be given a bonus. And another thing -- for such words (not previously found) -- the "best word" title should also be awarded, even if the word would otherwise not have been enough points.

Comment

I'm not the fastest typist, either, but I do occasionally get in a groove and my fingers fly ... well, walk very quickly at least. I actually like playing games that have been played a lot to find the elusive unplayed words. I'd love to retire a game one day by getting the last word. Yeah, dream on, JJB

I sometimes think that if a green word is found after 50+ games, then the player deserves a brand new unplayed game as a reward. Unfortunately, I generally choke on unplayed games so that idea poses a bit of a conundrum for me, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JJBeanie View Post
        I'm not the fastest typist, either, but I do occasionally get in a groove and my fingers fly ... well, walk very quickly at least. I actually like playing games that have been played a lot to find the elusive unplayed words. I'd love to retire a game one day by getting the last word. Yeah, dream on, JJB

I sometimes think that if a green word is found after 50+ games, then the player deserves a brand new unplayed game as a reward. Unfortunately, I generally choke on unplayed games so that idea poses a bit of a conundrum for me, lol.
        I hear you! Most of the time I do not see the large words, but am quite good at finding "weird" words. As I said before, English is not my native tongue, but it does help that I speak more than one language to find those small, unplayed words. Like you I wish to complete a game once, but in my many years of playing, never succeeded to do so. However an extra bonus for finding words after 50+ plays of a board sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by FelixTheCat View Post
          If you get a green word on a game that has been played 50+ times before, enter it here.

I just found UTERI on a game played 50 times before.
          I got feare, feares, meare, meares, miso, saree, simi, and trapt on a board w/ 50 plays just now.

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddieb View Post

I got feare, feares, meare, meares, miso, saree, simi, and trapt on a board w/ 50 plays just now.
            Impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
              I like your idea. I have another to propose to the administrator: once a game has been played more than 30 times (or 40, or whatever), ANY word found that was not previously found should be counted as ultra-rare. It's pretty clear that some very common words are almost impossible to find in a particular board because of where they are or how the letters are arranged. Someone who finds them should be given a bonus. And another thing -- for such words (not previously found) -- the "best word" title should also be awarded, even if the word would otherwise not have been enough points.
              Certain letter patterns are definitely much harder to find. I just found two green words on a board with 39 plays: TYPICAL and TYPICALLY. And I'm not the slightest bit surprised that they escaped notice so many times, because I'm guessing very few people will zero in on the first four letters.

Comment

On a board played 50 times (with a longest previous word of 8 letters), I just got IMPERATORSHIPS (for 16 points) and IMPERATORSHIP (for 24). I didn't want to screw up my pts/word average, so I didn't take it.

Comment

Good find Spike! I just learned yet another word I never heard or saw before.
                  Speaking of which, yesterday I played a board where Nafets owned the best word for 38 pts. I couldn't find anything so I let it time out. I thought I had seen pretty well every word 38+ pts but he found ANTIPHILOPROGENITIVE.

Comment

Thanks. I'd heard IMPERATOR before (in Mad Max: Fury Road, Charlize Theron was Imperator Furiosa) although I was never sure it was a real word until I tried it here. (I was looking for something to go along with -SHIP(S) & that was all I found.) I've never heard or read ANTIPHILOPROGENITIVE, and most likely never could have cobbled it together. If I manage to remember it, maybe I'll find it one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
                      Thanks. I'd heard IMPERATOR before (in Mad Max: Fury Road, Charlize Theron was Imperator Furiosa) although I was never sure it was a real word until I tried it here. (I was looking for something to go along with -SHIP(S) & that was all I found.) I've never heard or read ANTIPHILOPROGENITIVE, and most likely never could have cobbled it together. If I manage to remember it, maybe I'll find it one day.
                      Actually, I immediately knew what the word antiphiloprogenitive meant. But then again, I am the eldest son and I would. However, my maternal grandfather left Sweden with five of his brothers because none of them were first-born. The eldest son inherited the farm and it wasn't big enough for more than one family. On my father's side, I was the eldest (of three); my father was the eldest (of four sons); his father was the eldest of three sons; his father was the eldest, etc. When I did a family tree in High School biology class, the "eldest" thing went back at least seven generations on that side. Of course, that covers only legitimate children, recorded births, and allows for no infidelity or such things. It never pays to be too proud of one's ancestry, because no one is ever really sure unless a DNA test is done.

Comment

On a board played 50 times (with a longest previous word of 8 letters), I just got IMPERATORSHIPS (for 16 points) and IMPERATORSHIP (for 24). I didn't want to screw up my pts/word average, so I didn't take it.
                        Wait, are those green words?

By "green" words, are we talking about unfound words or common words? Because I took it to mean "common" words that hadn't been found before.

Comment

Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post

Wait, are those green words?

By "green" words, are we talking about unfound words or common words? Because I took it to mean "common" words that hadn't been found before.
                          I took it to mean "words that show up in green", i.e. previously unfound words.

Comment

I originally took it as common words, but I also decided that any previously unfound words made more sense in this context. Let's see what FelixTheCat says.

Comment

I originally took it as common words, but I also decided that any previously unfound words made more sense in this context. Let's see what FelixTheCat says.
                              Yes, that's what I intended. "Shows up in green" at the end of the game.

My thought was that, if a game has been played 50 or more times and you are the first person to find a word (i.e. it shows up green), then you can log it here to "brag" about your originality in finding something 50+ people had overlooked.

The word doesn't have to be spectacular in itself--though some people have found truly spectacular ones, I see!! IMPERATORSHIPS from Spike1007 for example! Like DrPlacebo noted above, some letter patterns are definitely hard to spot; he/she mentioned TYPICAL and TYPICALLY as examples. Starting with vowels is also something that often goes un-noticed. I've sometimes found fairly simple words in older games that start with vowels--INTO, for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X