No announcement yet.

Wonderous and silly things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi fellow Boggle players. I am not among the superstar players of this site but I would like to acknowledge some of the players who I see continually with the higher scores in 5x5. When I see names like scheffek, regimentus, DrPlacebo, Ellen, knishes9 I know it is going to be very challenging to beat that high score. When I see MegaWord, I know a good game would be to get over 50% of his score, or just find one or two words that he overlooked. I hope that one day people will see my name with a high score and think they are going to be in for a challenge. Til then I keep practicing. Only recently did I add "eane" to my repertoire. How frustrating that all those times I typed "steane" I missed out on the points of "eane" Some other little words I like is "owre" and I recently learned not to miss "keir" when I play "kier" and "nief" "nife" and "syen" "snye" "syne".
    I swear sometimes I have played a work that works and then in another game that same word doesnt work. I play Taos and Tosa all the time but then once I swear Toas worked, then it never did again.

Comment

Originally posted by Denali87 View Post
      Hi fellow Boggle players. I am not among the superstar players of this site but I would like to acknowledge some of the players who I see continually with the higher scores in 5x5. When I see names like scheffek, regimentus, DrPlacebo, Ellen, knishes9 I know it is going to be very challenging to beat that high score. When I see MegaWord, I know a good game would be to get over 50% of his score, or just find one or two words that he overlooked. I hope that one day people will see my name with a high score and think they are going to be in for a challenge. Til then I keep practicing. Only recently did I add "eane" to my repertoire. How frustrating that all those times I typed "steane" I missed out on the points of "eane" Some other little words I like is "owre" and I recently learned not to miss "keir" when I play "kier" and "nief" "nife" and "syen" "snye" "syne".
      I swear sometimes I have played a work that works and then in another game that same word doesnt work. I play Taos and Tosa all the time but then once I swear Toas worked, then it never did again.
      Correct, I have the same experience. Tiro will work sometimes, other times not. There are more smaller words that sometimes work and sometimes not. Very annoying. By the way, kier is a Dutch word as well

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
        ...The "a" key has a tiny speck about the size of a dust particle on it. The "e" and "s" keys are completely bare of any markings whatever. Part of the "c" key is missing paint near the top, so the upper right of the "c" has worn down to look a little like a sideways "u". About half the upper part of the "N" is gone.
        My m and n are gone, v is going, and o and d are badly disfigured. Maybe it has to do with where your finger hits the key, and these are they keys I hit in their upper left corners, where the markings used to be?

Comment

I am on my third keyboard since I started playing this game. I wore off the a, r, s and t on the first keyboard. I wore them off on the second one but I taped little labels on the keys, I also broke the return key (beyond repair). On this keyboard the letters are about 60% worn off.

Comment

My wife is complaining that the keyboard is not working as well, I tend to hit the keys more aggressively in that last 15 second flurry of inspiration to rack up those decisive points, or like as leabhar says when you have try to type "tiro" multiple times and it doesn't register. I remember thinking the program was glitched when I kept typing in "diew"..after the fact I realized the word I was going for was spelled "deaw". "Peag" is also another fav of mine. I did not know "kier" was dutch. There is an indian dessert called "Kheer" (wonder if that works for wordtwist?), and that's always what I thought of when playing "kier"

Comment

My wife and I have also wondered about the demographic of wordtwist players. I showed her on the leaderboards RussDNails, who had more total points than I did for the month of December, and she surmised that he was some guy with no job living in a trailer. I don't believe that is accurate but would love to know lol. 33 year old male in Pennsylvania here

Comment

My wife and I have also wondered about the demographic of wordtwist players. I showed her on the leaderboards RussDNails, who had more total points than I did for the month of December, and she surmised that he was some guy with no job living in a trailer. I don't believe that is accurate but would love to know lol. 33 year old male in Pennsylvania here
                I can't answer for RussDNails, but from what I know and surmise, you're about as wrong as possible. I'm 74 years old, retired, and enjoy words and word games. I probably play WT far too much. But I would not ever make anything that might sound like a disparaging comment about the life, habits, or occupation of any other WT player. Not even in jest.

Comment

Thanks for the good chuckle for today I’m hardly some guy with no job living in a trailer............for anyone curious I’m actually a humble med-tech at a local hospital..........also massively ocd about this game and always learning new words hence my track record on this site. I’m a terrible typist with a good vocabulary and on most boards I see more words than I have time to type...........

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

Haha! Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. It was my wife that said this because she sees how much I play this game and figures that someone that is so much better than me must play 8 hours a day or something. I stood up for RussDNails and said that he is probably a successful guy just like myself who has discovered this wonderous game and get get enough. My wife and I run a successful moving company in Pennsylvania if anyone is interested to know...I find it amusing that Russ considers himself a terrible typist while achieving scores of over 800 regularly. You cannot be a terrible typist to blast out 150 words in a period of 3 minutes! I wish I had the problem of seeing more words than I have time to type.

Comment

Didn’t rub me the wrong way at all—like I said, it brought me a good laugh...........I’m also often curious about the demographics of the people who play here........wish I did have 8 hours a day to play but real life gets in the way Getting closer to retirement though so maybe I will soon spend more time here

Best,

Russ

Comment

My wife is complaining that the keyboard is not working as well, I tend to hit the keys more aggressively in that last 15 second flurry of inspiration to rack up those decisive points, or like as leabhar says when you have try to type "tiro" multiple times and it doesn't register. I remember thinking the program was glitched when I kept typing in "diew"..after the fact I realized the word I was going for was spelled "deaw". "Peag" is also another fav of mine. I did not know "kier" was dutch. There is an indian dessert called "Kheer" (wonder if that works for wordtwist?), and that's always what I thought of when playing "kier"
                        Oh yum, I love kheer! The Dutch kier means "ajar". And I am in the Netherlands. I am an almost retired female archivist. I play often, but in short bursts and am not nearly as good as the top. I love to find words on boards that have been played multiple times and one day, really one day! I will be able to play the v-e-r-y-l-a-s-t-w-o-r-d on a board. Really!

Comment

Hey Russ! I have to admit that when I can beat a good score of yours, I feel like I've pulled off a victory for myself.

Comment

Hi Brian,

The feeling is mutual When I see a Brisul board I always feel excited for the challenge of trying to top your (always in the 900+) score!

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                              Hi Brian,

The feeling is mutual When I see a Brisul board I always feel excited for the challenge of trying to top your (always in the 900+) score!

Cheers,

Russ
                              Let me tell ya, it doesn't happen often, me beating your scores, that is. You own so many scoring titles. The scores cover so many ranges too, from the 600's to the 900's. My ego kicks in when I see one of your highs in the 700's and I think, "I can score in the 900's on that easily" and then I don't even come close!
                              Last edited by Brisul; 02-01-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Hey Brian,

Yeah, I'm not much on playing for average so I submit a lot of games..........I could get my average up a bit by submitting less games but that's not what's fun for me. I like the total points deal--I'm currently #2 on the all-time 5 x 5 points list and am gunning for the top........plus, playing the "harder" boards where higher scores are not achievable is a learning experience for me--if I play these all the way out (which of course means a lower score will pull my average down) I can see the list of words from previous players and this is one of my top ways of learning new words.........

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

Working...
                                X