Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation

While reading the responses to members thoughts, I noticed these strange rectangular boxes @ the bottom next to their name. Does anyone know what this means?

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 4.39.28 PM.png Under floppers there's 2 red ones and 8 grey ones. For MegaWord 10 grey ones. I realized the star means he pays that's what makes him a premium member.

Is there a location on this site that I've missed that explains this kinds of stuff?

It just means that you will become famous soon enough.

Comment

Mine means that I am on a distinguished road.

Comment

These are part of the forum software, and I've not changed the default settings (so the cutesy descriptions aren't to be blamed on me, haha). Basically you get higher ranks based on the number of posts you make to the forum.
        If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          These are part of the forum software, and I've not changed the default settings (so the cutesy descriptions aren't to be blamed on me, haha). Basically you get higher ranks based on the number of posts you make to the forum.
          Seems to me that I've posted quite a lot. Last time I looked, I had nothing in any of those little boxes.

Comment

admin has a disabled reputation, while bwt1213 will be famous soon enough.

Comment

I'm just posting to see how many red boxes I have. (In an old post of mine, I saw two, and I have fewer posts than you, bwt.)

Comment

You're correct, bwt. Here's what I've found re: reputation after a bit more digging. It takes into account quit a bit more than just # of posts.

- Every 100 points of reputation gives an orange bar up to ten bars.

- Users earn reputation through likes. The amount of reputation received by a specific like is determined by the Reputation Power of the user giving the like.

- Users gain Reputation Power by creating posts, liking posts from other users, length of registration and several other factors.

So it's driven via the "Like" links at the bottom-right of every post. The more likes you get, the higher your reputation - and likes from long-time users with lots of posts will give you more reputation points than likes from brand new users.
                If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

I must be the black sheep of the forum. I don't see anything under anyone's avatars.

Comment

This makes me flash back to a forum I used to post on with a similar system. It was a very close-knot and active community, with cliques, feuds, and other tumult. When the mods added the reputation system, it immediately was very popular and people took their rep points VERY seriously.

I pointed out that that two users could conspire to increase their reputation points dramatically by mutually liking each other's posts over and over again. The way their system was set up, this would have an exponential effect, as each "like" increased the other person's reputation dramatically, which then meant that their "like" added even more to the other person's reputation, and so on until they had millions of rep points.

The chief moderator hastily contradicted me, claiming I was wrong for reasons I didn't understand. I was puzzled but let the matter drop. They eventually closed the loophole in the system that I had identified.

Later, I became a mod myself and was told the inside story, which was that I had indeed been correct but, because of the, er ... "personalities" on the forum and how seriously everyone took things, infighting and train wrecks would be the result if a couple of users conspired to build their rep points. So, the chief moderator flat-out lied and said it wasn't possible, to try to keep anyone from doing it before they could fix the system.

Around here no one cares about the rep system. I hadn't even noticed it was being used. I'll have to see what my rep is ... probably quite low as I don't post much. I'll survive the shame somehow.
                    Last edited by Arabesque; 08-13-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

This topic piqued my curiosity too...............did some poking around. If you click on your user name/avatar in the upper right corner there is a dropdown menu with four choices.

I noticed that when I selected "My Profile" there is a green dot next to my user name on the page that pops up.

Anybody know what that signifiies? I hope it's something positive since I appear to me a total loser with no bars on my forum posts

Comment

RussDNails and Abareque are jewels in the rough
                        lalatan has a spectacular aura
                        Spike1007 is a glorious beacon of light

Comment

Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
                          RussDNails and Abareque are jewels in the rough
                          lalatan has a spectacular aura
                          Spike1007 is a glorious beacon of light
                          and BoggleOtaku is on a distinguished road....in The Mystery Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                            You're correct, bwt. Here's what I've found re: reputation after a bit more digging. It takes into account quit a bit more than just # of posts.

- Every 100 points of reputation gives an orange bar up to ten bars.

- Users earn reputation through likes. The amount of reputation received by a specific like is determined by the Reputation Power of the user giving the like.

- Users gain Reputation Power by creating posts, liking posts from other users, length of registration and several other factors.

So it's driven via the "Like" links at the bottom-right of every post. The more likes you get, the higher your reputation - and likes from long-time users with lots of posts will give you more reputation points than likes from brand new users.
                            Ohhh, ok. Thank You!

So floppers, RussDNails, Spike1007 & you have posted and had people like your messages more than the rest of us. I'm surprised MegaWord doesn't have more 'orange' boxes as he posts quite a bit, plus he added those videos too. I know I've been a member longer than it states because of some server issue & everyone who was a member and effected had the same 'join date' even though we had differing dates before that happened. I can't imagine getting 100 likes on anything I've stated. That would be amazing by itself let alone getting an orange box to commemorate it. I do 'like' other people's messages if I understand, agree or think its funny. Yet I don't 'like' to increase anything other than that person's knowledge that I read their post & enjoyed doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                              This topic piqued my curiosity too...............did some poking around. If you click on your user name/avatar in the upper right corner there is a dropdown menu with four choices.

I noticed that when I selected "My Profile" there is a green dot next to my user name on the page that pops up.

Anybody know what that signifies? I hope it's something positive since I appear to me a total loser with no bars on my forum posts
                              LOL You have 2 'orange' bars, more than most of us. Yeah, I see what you're saying. I wonder what the green dot represents too. In this section the little green dot is also on our profile rectangle down on the left.

I think there should be a legend somewhere that explains these unique areas of the site.

Comment

Working...
                              X