No announcement yet.

Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBnutz, that's a sweeping statement Dispenza is making but I'll see what he has to say.
    Thanks for the compliment. I love playing this game and have no intention of quitting it. I still have long-term goals and 1 short-term goal to reach. The only time I ever considered quitting was when everyone's stats were set to zero last Feb after the new dictionary rolled out. Fortunately, Stephen found a way to recover them after not being able to recover a few hundred records I lost in a previous server upgrade. I wish you success in your quest.

flopsy, even my wife said I've been bitchy more than usual lately. It was a horrendous summer of affliction for me.
    Btw, I made a mistake about being skunked in a cribbage game. (I haven't played it for >20 yrs.) When a player has <=90 pts when the game ends, he is skunked. In tournament play, he loses 2 games, not just 1. If he has <=60 pts, he is doubled skunked and will lose 3 games. Probably TMI but I feel the need to correct myself when I'm wrong.
    Last edited by lalatan; 09-19-2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
      IBnutz, that's a sweeping statement Dispenza is making but I'll see what he has to say.
      Thanks for the compliment. I love playing this game and have no intention of quitting it. I still have long-term goals and 1 short-term goal to reach. The only time I ever considered quitting was when everyone's stats were set to zero last Feb after the new dictionary rolled out. Fortunately, Stephen found a way to recover them after not being able to recover a few hundred records I lost in a previous server grade. I wish you success in your quest.

flopsy, even my wife said I've been bitchy more than usual lately. It was a horrendous summer of affliction for me.
      Btw, I made a mistake about being skunked in a cribbage game. (I haven't played it for >20 yrs.) When a player has <=90 pts when the game ends, he is skunked. In tournament play, he loses 2 games, not just 1. If he has <=60 pts, he is doubled skunked and will lose 3 games. Probably TMI but I feel the need to correct myself when I'm wrong.
      Lalatan, EVERYONE is more bitchy than usual these days! The big world and our "little" personal worlds are falling apart big time. Just want to say it's worth listening to Joe Dispenza. I've followed him for years and used his meditations (and gone to some of his programs) and have made some good changes in my life, health-wise and otherwise. The meditations are a good way to get past the pain, and his coherence healing groups have worked a lot of "miracles" for people. Not a lot to lose by paying attention to what he has to say. Bless you and good luck.

Also want to say you are an inspiration to me in this game. Sometimes I see your name on a game and feel "Oh what's the use? Lalatan has already captured the best of what's in here." But every once in a blue moon I've actually done a few points or letters better, and that's pretty exciting. You're holding a standard for the rest of us!

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyb View Post
        Apparently Naboka remembers what the door mouse said.
        Door Mouse? And forever I thought it said Doorman. Ah ha ...

Comment

I learned a lot of psychology in my alone years and it really helped me understand others and myself. People always do things or are a certain way for a reason. Naboka, you correctly cast me as a primarily melancholy temperament. Most of the people on this website are. There are 4 basic temperaments and each person has a primary one and a secondary one, a blend of temperaments.
          There a few sanguines like yourself here and a dusting of cholerics. Tim Lahaye summarized each temperament: melancholies live for order, sanguines live for fun, cholerics live for work and phlegmatics live for calm. Pretty accurate in my experience.

So I know exactly what causes me to be the way I am. From the 5 Love Languages by Dr. Gary Chapman I discovered I am a words of affirmation person, meaning that I seek that and also seek to give it.

Anyway, I've gone on too long.
          That's interesting. I've never heard of this. Usually I don't fit into any category. I've taken some tests like Myers Briggs & Strong Interest Inventory and others. I'm always in the middle of 2 or 3 different categories & like other areas of my life, don't fit exactly anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Door Mouse? And forever I thought it said Doorman. Ah ha ...
            Actually, it's "dormouse".

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

Actually, it's "dormouse".
              Oh, I got this one!

DORMOUSE, plural DORMICE: any of numerous small, nocturnal, furry-tailed Old World rodents (family Myoxidae synonym Gliridae) that live mainly in trees and resemble small squirrels. Note: Dormice hibernate during cold weather and may become torpid at other times of the year when food is scarce.

_91054889_briddlesford_dormice3.creditclarepengelly.jpgnational-trust-ranger-holds-pair-of-hazel-dormice-during-monthly-monitoring-check-on-cotehele-estate-cornwall-credit-national-trust-george-holmes-1573120642.jpg

Y'all are just something else.

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post

Oh, I got this one!

DORMOUSE, plural DORMICE: any of numerous small, nocturnal, furry-tailed Old World rodents (family Myoxidae synonym Gliridae) that live mainly in trees and resemble small squirrels. Note: Dormice hibernate during cold weather and may become torpid at other times of the year when food is scarce.

_91054889_briddlesford_dormice3.creditclarepengelly.jpgnational-trust-ranger-holds-pair-of-hazel-dormice-during-monthly-monitoring-check-on-cotehele-estate-cornwall-credit-national-trust-george-holmes-1573120642.jpg

Y'all are just something else.
                Awww, isn't he/she cute! Thanks for the images.

Yes, I'm torpid frequently as well.

Comment

• Didn't know UNIQUER was really a word
                  RAZZAMATAZZES was fun to get, along with PAZZAZZES

Comment

• Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
                    Didn't know UNIQUER was really a word
                    RAZZAMATAZZES was fun to get, along with PAZZAZZES
                    That must have been a fun board when it popped up -- 4 Zs! I would have been giving it the stink eye, for sure.

Comment

• I will likely make myself a bit cuckoo if I try to go back and pick up quotes from all the prior discussion, but I did want to chime in a bit:

dyak, I totally agree with you -- everyone is crankier, bitchier, meaner, irritable, tetchy (I will be looking for that word in a future board), disagreeable, fractious, and cantankerous these days.

When I first started playing, and didn't know the customs and practices of playing this game, lalatan used to make me nuts, and occasionally made me yell at my computer. However, as I've played more, and read more on the forum, I've come to appreciate the level of play that some of you all, and specifically lalatan, have aspired to and achieved. I still avoid Spike1007 every time he starts talking about scoring. That will break my brain. While sometimes I play and I'm looking to set my own record, other times I play and I see that John13verse34 found a 14-point word, or lalatan found a 16-point word (I'm still mostly comfortable on the 4x4 boards), I will dig in and see if I can find what they found. Usually, uhhh, no, but it's a different way of seeing the letters. I will only probably look for long words, regardless of point value, as that is more challenging and less stressful for me. (I am still smarting over SEPULCHRING only being worth 10 points, though.). APPW starts getting more complex than I want to try for. I have appreciated the advice on dumping boards, however. I am happy to report that I'm now off the top 100 scorers list for this month. Considering my current point average per game is still hovering in the mid- to upper-90 range, that's fine by me.

I've also been helped by many of the tips people have been willing to share. Now it's easier for me to hone in on TION, PRO, HYPER, ING, ABLE...I have also learned that these are not always the ways to the longest word, however. Or, in some cases, any word at all.

Naboka, for some reason I have started picturing you as a hookah-smoking caterpillar. I assume that is not actually the case, as your wife makes you pancakes, and I'm not sure caterpillars, even large ones, would be very fond of pancakes. (Note: I am very fond of pancakes. And very true, I am not either a large or a small caterpillar.)

lalatan, thank you for all your advice and kind words. Means more than you realize. I am sorry to hear about your illness. That just stinks. We live in a very broken, messed-up world. Stay by, and know you have some virtual friends here who will try to lift you up whenever they can. I mean, all you have to do is say a number to Naboka and he will wander along through mental passages not often travelled.

In this time, especially, I do feel like we all travel together in this ether. I still want to believe in the best in people, although it seems more and more difficult to these days.
                      Associate with people who are likely to improve you.
                      ~ Seneca

I can do that!

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post
                        Naboka, for some reason I have started picturing you as a hookah-smoking caterpillar. I assume that is not actually the case, as your wife makes you pancakes, and I'm not sure caterpillars, even large ones, would be very fond of pancakes. (Note: I am very fond of pancakes. And very true, I am not either a large or a small caterpillar.)
                        LOL

Originally posted by currerbell View Post
                        Associate with people who are likely to improve you.
                        ~ Seneca

I can do that!
                        Great quote. That is my goal as well.

Too many people try to belittle or push their will against me, which I think is stupid as they are closing themselves off to their improvement assuming they always know better which is absurd. I seek to interact w/people who improve theirs as well as my state of well being & intellectual advancement.

Comment

• Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.55.33 AM.png

Now, that is an interesting word, lalatan.

interpenetrators

sounds...

nasty

and, perhaps...

self-fulfilling

though, perhaps just..

filling

Comment

• Currerbell,

a hookah-smoking caterpillar, hmmm.

Caterpillars aren't caterpillars long, no matter how much they smoke.

Always interesting how people see you. We tend to be different things to different people, mostly dependent on their perceptions rather than us as a reality.

I've done jobs where I was praised by some as the most productive person on the job--while being reviled by others as being the laziest. Both opinions proved to be true.

In a sense.

Efficiencies allow you to do more while doing less.

So, I had a lot of time to goof off, while concurrently producing more than anyone else. Keeping me on payroll always fell to the boss's practicality of looking the other way in order to reach their goals.

Contradictions seem to upset our minds. But, it's the contradictions that give us breadth. The more you eliminate, the less you have as a resource.

The difficulty is in managing the array so it remains a resource rather than obstructive clutter.

Our minds like to simplify. We like to see one another as simply as possible. We'll drop someone into a category and that's how we'll see them hence.

But, we are all degrees of complex.

And degrees of simplicity.

The problem is reconciling the contradictions. In self and others.

A person can be overbearingly arrogant--and humble. How can you be arrogant and humble at the same time? I've seen it a lot in impressive people.

A person can be selfish and generous at the same time. I'm very self-centered, competitive and selfish, but my wife and I both know that if I won the lottery I'd give most of the money to those who need it more.

On forums, conservatives hate me for being liberal; while liberals hate me for being conservative. But, in truth, a society needs conservatives to hold order, while it needs liberals to envision a new and better future. The joke is that most of the things conservatives hold dear came about because liberals of the past brought it into existence.

So, a hookah-smoking caterpillar I may be, destined to be a butterfly, but content with my fat belly and short legs while drifting on imagining clouds.

But, that is only as seen from one angle. Look from a slightly different angle and you see something else.

Like nacre. What is its color?

Every angle gives you a new color.

Comment

• I edited this post 1 too many times and it became flagged as spam.
                              Originally posted by Naboka

interpenetrators

sounds...

nasty

and, perhaps...

self-fulfilling

though, perhaps just.. filling

Sorry about that, Naboka. It wasn't my intent to offend anyone by playing that word. I saw the 2 halves, typed it, got 30 pts/2 records then onto the next game. I didn't know its meaning and had never seen it before. I recall at the time thinking it was probably a scientific or industrial term. (I don't usually look up a word's meaning unless it intrigues me. I will probably forget it and the word storage area in my brain is already crowded.) Now that you mentioned it I can see it could be construed differently than I did so will avoid playing the word in future.

Merriam-Webster defines interpenetration as: to penetrate between, within, or throughout, permeate
                              When I goggled it I saw something about it used in scientific applications. Wikipedia says it's a term used in Buddhist philosophy and Christian theology. I did not see that one coming either.

Years ago I was often on Facebook and a group of ladies there started posting pictures of cute wild baby animals. They would rhapsodize on how nature was so beautiful etc. So after this continued for over a month I grew weary of pictures of the same animals and decided it was time to bring a little balance to their view (I have a little mischievous streak occasionally). I posted a picture of a hagfish and captioned it: This is part of nature as well. They knew me well as somewhat of a joker so they weren't too scandalized. I wouldn't have done it in any other situation.

There is much beauty in our world but also a lot of ugliness (as we all know); I think it's the same with language. Years ago, I started looking up words to do with pop culture language (admittedly I was not knowledgeable of it at all and had a teenage son) in the Urban Dictionary. Sometimes I would look at other definitions while I was there. However, I read too many seemingly mundane words that had been used to describe all manner of vile, disgusting acts and attitudes. So I chose not do that anymore and remain ignorant. It may not be bliss but sometimes it's better than knowing.

Thank you mdyak and currerbell for what you wrote to me earlier in this thread.

Comment

I edited this post 1 too many times and it became flagged as spam.
                                Originally posted by Naboka

interpenetrators

sounds...

nasty

and, perhaps...

self-fulfilling

though, perhaps just.. filling

Sorry about that, Naboka. It wasn't my intent to offend anyone by playing that word. I saw the 2 halves, typed it, got 30 pts/2 records then onto the next game. I didn't know its meaning and had never seen it before. I recall at the time thinking it was probably a scientific or industrial term. (I don't usually look up a word's meaning unless it intrigues me. I will probably forget it and the word storage area in my brain is already crowded.) Now that you mentioned it I can see it could be construed differently than I did so will avoid playing the word in future.

Merriam-Webster defines interpenetration as: to penetrate between, within, or throughout, permeate
                                When I goggled it I saw something about it used in scientific applications. Wikipedia says it's a term used in Buddhist philosophy and Christian theology. I did not see that one coming either.

Years ago I was often on Facebook and a group of ladies there started posting pictures of cute wild baby animals. They would rhapsodize on how nature was so beautiful etc. So after this continued for over a month I grew weary of pictures of the same animals and decided it was time to bring a little balance to their view (I have a little mischievous streak occasionally). I posted a picture of a hagfish and captioned it: This is part of nature as well. They knew me well as somewhat of a joker so they weren't too scandalized. I wouldn't have done it in any other situation.

There is much beauty in our world but also a lot of ugliness (as we all know); I think it's the same with language. Years ago, I started looking up words to do with pop culture language (admittedly I was not knowledgeable of it at all and had a teenage son) in the Urban Dictionary. Sometimes I would look at other definitions while I was there. However, I read too many seemingly mundane words that had been used to describe all manner of vile, disgusting acts and attitudes. So I chose not do that anymore and remain ignorant. It may not be bliss but sometimes it's better than knowing.

Thank you mdyak and currerbell for what you wrote to me earlier in this thread.
                                Lalatan,

certainly wasn't offended.

Amused.

And feeling a bit perverse. And mischievous.

And willing to risk the tightrope of impropriety to see if I could cross from one skyscraper to the next without falling to my death.

Interpenetration is actually a useful word. Though, in the swamps of my mind, certain connections create sparks that ignite the gasses. And, whomp!

Never heard of a hagfish before. Quite the creature. I suppose I would have posted a picture of the carnage nature inflicts on its participants. Cute is far overshadowed by savage. Though, both seem to have their place.

Comment

Working...
                                X