No announcement yet.

Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversely, I learned a long and odd word last week: QUERIMONIOUSNESSES. I first saw -nesses, then -monious- so I assumed the word would be CEREMONIOUSNESSES. But it wasn't there and I saw queri-. My internal voice said, "I'm pretty sure that's a word." Then I replied, "Don't be silly. You've never heard or seen that anywhere." (I suspect speed players miss out on these mental arguments.) So I spent a minute looking for an alternative word and none was to be found. I typed in the word and it was accepted for 38 pts/2 records. The correct part of my mind told the other, "See, I was right!" (I'm pretty sure I'm not schizo, btw) So apparently somewhere, sometime I saw or heard the word and for some strange reason I recalled it. That type of thing irks me at times. I wish my memory resources could be used for different activities, like remembering why I went into a room after sometimes forgetting. But I suppose it's a case of mea culpa; for 5 years I've been jamming copious amounts of long words into my memory through gameplay and word studies.
    The word is obsolete and means: prone to complaint

currerbell, I abandoned playing for 4x4 records after 3 days. The routing of boards seems to have changed and there weren't enough opportunities to continue. Or other players filled in the previous holes of missing high-scoring words. Since Feb there has been an explosion of players who get high-scoring words on the best words played lists for both 4x4 and 5x5. Everyone and their dog seems to have a newfound ability to see them at least once a month. (I may be exaggerating; I didn't see maxthebordercollie anywhere near the top of the list.)

Edit: it's interesting (somewhat intended pun) I played the same board you posted as a new game today.

26 PTS INTERESTEDNESS NEW GAME.jpg
    Last edited by lalatan; 10-06-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post
      I haven't had much to add to this board lately, but tonight I found a short-and-odd:

PIUM - a Brazilian biting fly. Otherwise known as a blackfly, which apparently feed on blood. They do not drink ... wine.
      Ooo, that's a good one! LOL ... 'they don't drink ... wine' Probably because they're enjoying me, those insects just love drinking my blood. Eeeek!

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
        Conversely, I learned a long and odd word last week: QUERIMONIOUSNESSES. I first saw -nesses, then -monious- so I assumed the word would be CEREMONIOUSNESSES. But it wasn't there and I saw queri-. My internal voice said, "I'm pretty sure that's a word." Then I replied, "Don't be silly. You've never heard or seen that anywhere." (I suspect speed players miss out on these mental arguments.) So I spent a minute looking for an alternative word and none was to be found. I typed in the word and it was accepted for 38 pts/2 records. The correct part of my mind told the other, "See, I was right!" (I'm pretty sure I'm not schizo, btw) So apparently somewhere, sometime I saw or heard the word and for some strange reason I recalled it. That type of thing irks me at times. I wish my memory resources could be used for different activities, like remembering why I went into a room after sometimes forgetting. But I suppose it's a case of mea culpa; for 5 years I've been jamming copious amounts of long words into my memory through gameplay and word studies.
        You know, I KNOW someone like that. She really finds it hard to find anything good to say. She is definitely Querimoniousness.

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
        currerbell, I abandoned playing for 4x4 records after 3 days. The routing of boards seems to have changed and there weren't enough opportunities to continue. Or other players filled in the previous holes of missing high-scoring words. Since Feb there has been an explosion of players who get high-scoring words on the best words played lists for both 4x4 and 5x5. Everyone and their dog seems to have a newfound ability to see them at least once a month. (I may be exaggerating; I didn't see maxthebordercollie anywhere near the top of the list.)
        I have found it hard to do well on any of the 4x4 games myself & as you know I'm no where near your superlong word skill level. It seems I'm enjoying the forum lately more than the games. I've actually just signed in to see what's been discussed in the forum & not played any games @ all. They've really become much too hard for me. I played a few this time. I did ok on a couple.

I did though, earlier this month get an award for a 9-letter word (my first in 4x4). Woo Hoo! My first this year! Hey, I guess that's something.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post
          I have found it hard to do well on any of the 4x4 games myself... It seems I'm enjoying the forum lately more than the games. I've actually just signed in to see what's been discussed in the forum & not played any games @ all. They've really become much too hard for me. I played a few this time. I did ok on a couple.

I did though, earlier this month get an award for a 9-letter word (my first in 4x4). Woo Hoo! My first this year! Hey, I guess that's something.
          Congats. Yes, it is something and has significance for you. I learned you have to take pleasure in your small victories since you have to be self-motivated/self-encouraging if you want to improve on this website. Of course, many who play here probably don't care about improving; they just love the game. (Personally I'm not wired that way; I tended to be an overachiever most of my life.)

I'll tell you a story that may encourage you. Years ago when I first started I noticed a newbie player's username was the same as a female character in a TV series we were currently watching. I wondered if she was a fan of the show. So I checked her scorecard and trophy room page. She was averaging 91 pts/game, quite a bit below average. I assumed she probably wouldn't continue to play for long. But every once in a while I'd see her ID on a record. So every few months I'd check her stats. She started to improve slowly Then I started playing 5x5 and lost track of what was going on in the 4x4 world, except for APPW competitions. I looked her up last week and she's now at 194 words/game. It took her a few years but she doubled her avg. I admire her persistence and her achievement, even though she's still far from being a top player. Probably only she and I know about it. "Slow progress is better than no progress."
          Last edited by lalatan; 10-07-2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Congats. Yes, it is something and has significance for you. I learned you have to take pleasure in your small victories since you have to be self-motivated/self-encouraging if you want to improve on this website. Of course, many who play here probably don't care about improving; they just love the game. (Personally I'm not wired that way; I tended to be an overachiever most of my life.)

I'll tell you a story that may encourage you. Years ago when I first started I noticed a newbie player's username was the same as a female character in a TV series we were currently watching. I wondered if she was a fan of the show. So I checked her scorecard and trophy room page. She was averaging 91 pts/game, quite a bit below average. I assumed she probably wouldn't continue to play for long. But every once in a while I'd see her ID on a record. So every few months I'd check her stats. She started to improve slowly Then I started playing 5x5 and lost track of what was going on in the 4x4 world, except for APPW competitions. I looked her up last week and she's now at 194 words/game. It took her a few years but she doubled her avg. I admire her persistence and her achievement, even though she's still far from being a top player. Probably only she and I know about it. "Slow progress is better than no progress."
            Thanks lalatan!

Comment

Conversely, I learned a long and odd word last week: QUERIMONIOUSNESSES. I first saw -nesses, then -monious- so I assumed the word would be CEREMONIOUSNESSES. But it wasn't there and I saw queri-. My internal voice said, "I'm pretty sure that's a word." Then I replied, "Don't be silly. You've never heard or seen that anywhere." (I suspect speed players miss out on these mental arguments.) So I spent a minute looking for an alternative word and none was to be found. I typed in the word and it was accepted for 38 pts/2 records. The correct part of my mind told the other, "See, I was right!" (I'm pretty sure I'm not schizo, btw) So apparently somewhere, sometime I saw or heard the word and for some strange reason I recalled it. That type of thing irks me at times. I wish my memory resources could be used for different activities, like remembering why I went into a room after sometimes forgetting. But I suppose it's a case of mea culpa; for 5 years I've been jamming copious amounts of long words into my memory through gameplay and word studies.

Edit: it's interesting (somewhat intended pun) I played the same board you posted as a new game today.

26 PTS INTERESTEDNESS NEW GAME.jpg

1) Wait, wait -- did you not find a longer word than I did in that board? Really? And you were like, actually trying? Oh, a small encouragment. Joy, joy overflows in my heart. (No offense.)

2) I am going to take QUERIMONIOUS in to work -- my coworkers and I will have a lot of fun with that one. I work in a small nonprofit office (4 staff, 2 full-time, 2 part-time), and of course it being so small, we are a bit like a family, so we occasionally get a bit QUERIMONIOUS with each other. This year we have a Board with several very QUERIMONIOUS members, to the point of being distractive and not good for our mental health, so anything we find to lighten the mood is good. (A few months ago we were using "double-secret probation" from Animal House to great effect.)

3) I've been seeing a lot of boards that seem to be about dried up, at least for longer words, but I'm also finding boards in both 4x4 and 5x5 that have been played 20-30 times and yet no one has found any of the longer words, even the common ones (and I count myself in that group). I think, hmm, has lalatan seen this board? Spike? Where is John13verse34 when you need him? Sometimes I wish I could just ask for the answer key -- I would happily be banned from playing that particular board again -- just show me what those words are!

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Ooo, that's a good one! LOL ... 'they don't drink ... wine' Probably because they're enjoying me, those insects just love drinking my blood. Eeeek!
                Thank you! I was wondering if anyone would notice. It is, of course, heading toward Halloween, and I just saw the original Dracula again a few weeks ago. Love me a good old scary movie. (BTW, Dracula is not my favorite.)

I'm with you -- I have a dreadful mosquito problem. I have bug spray in my purse and by the back door in my home. Next year I might even throw some in my car, as long as it won't explode in the heat.

General note: I have been trying to play the 5x5 boards this month, so not only am I not finding any "unique words I've learned," I'm not finding much of any ununique words I already know! Might be time to go back to the 4x4s.

And, 2cute, keep it up. 9 letters is good. I played for at least a year before I even registered a username. And I'm still hit-and-miss. One thing I've noticed some players mentioning recently is having good days or not-so-good days. I think that is entirely true. And I have no idea what triggers my better days or even different times in a day. Stick to it -- if it brings you joy, or fun, or a giggle, or makes your brain work in a different way. Don't judge your accomplishments by what you see others doing. And, generally, don't judge your accomplishments, or what you see as lack thereof. I've enjoyed this thread you started, because I am learning new words, and because I now know that dannyb is funny, and I'm not the only one with opinions on and interactions with chocolate. Or, vanilla Oreos.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• My goal for the month (in terms of average points per word) mostly depends on how I'm doing at any particular time & whether or not I'm on track to get there. (And that depends a lot on luck). I'll reluctantly throw away boards where I've found something good point-wise, but not quite good enough. Then again, if I really LIKE a word that lowers my average, I'll take it & try to make up for it. It's kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision. (Unfortunately, there are other times where I'll enter a low-scoring word & get distracted & wander off before I kill the board.) Anyway, sometimes the longer words on a board may have been found, just not officially.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
                    My goal for the month (in terms of average points per word) mostly depends on how I'm doing at any particular time & whether or not I'm on track to get there. (And that depends a lot on luck). I'll reluctantly throw away boards where I've found something good point-wise, but not quite good enough. Then again, if I really LIKE a word that lowers my average, I'll take it & try to make up for it. It's kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision. (Unfortunately, there are other times where I'll enter a low-scoring word & get distracted & wander off before I kill the board.) Anyway, sometimes the longer words on a board may have been found, just not officially.
                    Sometimes, I'll be distracted by a board that looks like it just HAS to have a long word on it, and I'll find it. And then near the end of the three minutes I will realize that I'm a solid three hundred points less than I want to be and I'll dump the game. I've used up most of the game's time finding that one word. There is a benefit, though; if I get that board again, I'll usually remember the word and have a decent chance to have a high-scoring game.

Comment

• Thanks, Spike1007 and bwt1213...I am so wrapped up in my small interest in trying to find long words that I forget that it's not only about finding the words, necessarily, but also about scoring strategy. This game has a lot of layers.

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post
                        1) Wait, wait -- did you not find a longer word than I did in that board? Really? And you were like, actually trying? Oh, a small encouragment. Joy, joy overflows in my heart. (No offense.)

3) I've been seeing a lot of boards that seem to be about dried up, at least for longer words, but I'm also finding boards in both 4x4 and 5x5 that have been played 20-30 times and yet no one has found any of the longer words, even the common ones (and I count myself in that group). I think, hmm, has lalatan seen this board? Spike? Where is John13verse34 when you need him? Sometimes I wish I could just ask for the answer key -- I would happily be banned from playing that particular board again -- just show me what those words are!
                        Yes, I did not find a longer word. I'm glad you were inspired.

I only play a board if the stats tell me I have a chance of winning both best and longest word. (I'm not going to divulge my method because I spent too much time developing and refining it, it has a variety of variables and it may not work for another player.) If a board has been played 20-30x and the stats look right for me, I'll play it and have had many successes doing so.

That said, sometimes after I've loaded what I thought would be a suitable board all I see is a jumbled mess of unpromising letters that probably won't yield a word w a high enough pt value. Nevertheless, I will usually press on and maybe find something worth 12-16 pts that is long enough to possibly retain the longest word record. Then I wind up dumping the game anyway. Recently, I decided to trust my first impression more and dump the game right away.

Originally posted by currerbell View Post
                        General note: I have been trying to play the 5x5 boards this month, so not only am I not finding any "unique words I've learned," I'm not finding much of any ununique words I already know! Might be time to go back to the 4x4s.
                        There's no shame in going back to 4x4. I went back and forth a few times between the 2 while learning 5x5. As you say, the boards there at first looked like chaos but eventually I started spotting patterns.

Spike, whenever I play 1 of your games where your best word record is >= 38 pts, I look forward to see what you came up with. Others produce good wine but yours are often fine wine that I like to savor, metaphorically speaking. One that comes to mind is anatomicophysiologies for 40 pts. That is a beaut! And I didn't figure it out either.

Comment

• lalatan, thanks for the compliment. My strategy for choosing boards to play used to be more complicated, but now I'll take anything with at least 4 ultra-rare 9+ letter words. (I'll also play "new" unplayed boards with at least 2-3 such words.) Anyway, if you have a record for the board (a very common occurrence), I take it as a challenge match it. That seems to be getting harder over time. However, I also have an irrational desire to keep my average words per game at 1 or more, so if I give up on finding your word I'll usually just toss the board even though it means I'll never know what you got. Luckily, some (like QUERIMONIOUSNESSES) are reported here, and occasionally (if I think I'm close but just can't pull it out) I do yield to temptation just to see what you got. Sometimes I just kick myself for not seeing it. Other times, I'm amazed at what you managed to put together.

Comment

• Thanks for your compliment.
                            I think the APPW competition should have an official rule stipulating a limit of 1 word or more/game avg (and make it a qualification like the 51 games played requirement) to give the trophy more credibility. But you knew that from previous discussions so this is for others who don't know. I know that you, kate, myself, John13:34, dadsbricks (not 100% sure of last 2), others I can't recall and L9UR91 from 4x4 all play it by that standard but I don't recall others who may not.

currerbell: since I'm on here again I thought I'd suggest you start out on 5x5 by playing only games where the best word record is 20-26 pts. Some will likely be words you're familiar with from 4x4 so it could be a chance for you to find them in the 5x5 setting to get used to it. The distribution of games is similar to 4x4. The opportunity to play a game with a best word pt value >=38 pts doesn't happen very often. The majority of the records I set are in the 26-34 pt region.

Comment

• I should have said that I count words & not games played, so I don't consider myself officially done for the month until I have at least 51 words. lalatan, like you said, "empty" games (no words entered) count as played but don't affect APPW. Those should be irrelevant for me as long as I get enough words, hence the "irrational desire" remark.

Comment

• STROAMED. (14 pts, 8 letters)

To STROAM is to wander about idly or vacantly. It is apparently obsolete, at least in a UK dialect.

I think it is time to pull it out of obsoletion and start using it again.

It is the perfect Monday morning word.

I am going to go into the office and STROAM about until the inevitable Monday morning crisis appears.

Monday mornings find me STROAMING about my home, wondering where my weekend went.

Comment

Working...
                                X